• This topic has 7,707 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 9 hours ago by mark88.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 7,708 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • mogrim

Runner’s nip and how to prevent it?

Tight baselayer is one solution, sticking plasters also work, and another is vaseline or anti-chafe cream. Decathlon sells the latter if you’ve got one nearby. (FWIW for ultras I have a small pot of vaseline I carry with me).

chakaping
    Free Member

anti-chafe cream

Should be very similar to my chamois cream, no?

Gonna try that combined with a tighter baselayer this eve anyway, ta.

surfer
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge I am not best placed to give advice on this subject after racing with stress fractures in my youth but if its not painful when you are running or doesnt react badly post-run then I think I would continue to run. Just dial it back and monitor it.

bob_summers

My first month or two of hill running caused my ankles to swell so much the skin blistered. Just kept on top of the physio and strengthening exercises and kinda muddled through it. Something to be said for gradually building up!

Just back in from the beach – first run went OK, jogged 5km on the firmish sand which defeats the object somewhat. No real pain from the ankle, couple of sharp intakes of breath dodging puddles, but bloody hell the hip flexors are sore. Amazing how fast you go backwards with three weeks off.

Entered the Newlands Memorial at easter (actually wanted to do the Teenager but thought that was taking the piss), gonna be a struggle to get anywhere approaching fit enough for the fells.

And the draw for Zegama is today. Daren’t check my emails…

MrSparkle

Never done the Teenager. The Anni Waltz (as was) is an tough enough race. I need to get my finger out and get some miles in as I’ve got Haworth Hobble coming up in 3 weeks. My Mrs said to me last night ‘I can’t believe how casual you are about it.’ You say casual but ‘slack’ or possibly ‘stupid’ might be better words.

mogrim

Should be very similar to my chamois cream, no?

Dunno, I don’t suppose it’d hurt though.

And the draw for Zegama is today. Daren’t check my emails…

Wouldn’t be too concerned, you’re probably more likely to win the Euromillions 😀

will
    Free Member

This year i’m determined to be more organised with race entries, so i’ve just knocked up a table of all the ones i’m doing (so far), when entries open etc… 265 miles in total and 84,868sq.ft of climbing. Ha!

Really getting fed up with this weather as well. Went up Beinn Dubh on Wednesday night and honestly think i’d have been drier if I swam in the Loch! It was truly grim.

National (Scottish) XC this weekend, although i’m not racing, but going to watch the mayhem. Should be fun!

Next Race: Edale Skyline 22nd March.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Beinn Dubh must be one of the steepest bogs in the world!

will
    Free Member

Haha very true. The middle “flat” section was comical. Also got pretty lost coming down, which shows just how quickly you can get lost if the weather is poor (and dark) and you come off the path:

bob_summers

Wouldn’t be too concerned, you’re probably more likely to win the Euromillions 😀

Called it @mogrim – some 11k applicants for 280 dorsales, chances of getting a start somewhere between Bob and None. I actually had a good feeling though – being injured increases oneˋs chances of success!

@mrsparkle
    – unfinished business with the NM. DNS last year after hire car shenanigans on the way up. Missed the start while waiting about 3 hours for a tow truck on Easter Sunday. I’ll do it this year even if it means hobbling round on crutches…

Spin
    Free Member

Never done the Teenager. The Anni Waltz (as was) is an tough enough race.

Did the Teenager last year and it was great. Absolutely fried though, it was roasting for April!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Couldn’t be arsed running in 60-100mph winds today, so went to the gym instead. They have put in one of those powermill step machines. 100 floors on that doesn’t half get a sweat going, I’ll be using that way more than the dreadmill I think. 😊

mogrim

lol @bob_summers, also failed to get a place at Zegama. C’est la vie!

Monday @ 10am sign up opens for the 3 Refugios race, it’s a cracking trail race in Madrid if anyone else is up for it. Bit of dutch courage here but if anyone wants to come I’m happy to put you up for a night or two 🙂

https://www.copadehierro.es/cross-3-refugios/inscripcion/

Wally

New runner here and overdone it earlier in week. Now I have a new issue ,Shinsplints. One leg only, right and really painful last 5 days. RICE?

surfer
    Free Member

Shinsplints can turn into stress fractures if you ignore the (albeit incredible when you have got to that stage) pain so best being patient and allowing them to heal. Ice and NSAIDs if you can take them and maybe some foam roller. Try to find the tender areas and ice regularly. Don’t be tempted to run again too soon as after a few days they may start to feel better but it will return. Give it a couple of weeks then start with short slower runs and build up slowly.

dashed
    Free Member

And lots of calf stretches and strengthening for shin splits. Sufferer here too and just been having some physio – all to do with tight / weak calves for me although sure there are different causes.

Back into running after a grim cold (sorry MrSparkle – missed your darkun due to feeling like crap). 33km this week and many of them in the hills. Was feeling a bit tired yesterday but did a new local parkrun – went reasonably quickly but wasn’t flat out by any stretch – only 15 secs off my PB!

DrP

Ooh… Well I just ran my first half marathon (Brighton).. Furthest I’ve ever ran! Little prep, but felt strong, and my partner and I stuck right to pace to finish in 2hrs and 3 seconds!

Looking forward to sore legs tomorrow eh!

DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb DrP!

I love post race sore legs, great feeling!

bonni

Advice needed for newbie.

Currently I can run/plod 5 to 6 k, but slowly (ave around 6 to 6.10 mins/km). I want to be able to run 10 k in the near to mid-term, at a slightly faster pace, say 5.30 mins/km. Doesn’t sound too outlandish to me, at least compared to feats of athleticism in this thread.

What’s the best way to do this? Keep extending distance, or keep same distance but try to run a bit faster?

I started in January and am now beginning to enjoy running. Even on these dark, rainy, windy nights. Can’t put my finger on it though!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

duckman

Bonni, shorter and faster and longer and slower will both make you quicker IMO. But mostly it’s just running more that makes you better at it.

turboferret

I’m pacing the Big Half on Sunday, which is probably a bad idea given how my legs are at the moment, but hey ho. I received the flag I’ve got to wear yesterday, so ran partway home with it to see how much of a pain it is

The rucksack is nicely designed, sits well on the back and doesn’t move around. The flag is however about 5 feet tall and creates a significant amount of drag.

video 1

Hits on trees, and if there happens to be something spiky in them, this can happen

video 2

I’ll certainly be working pretty hard to run 1:20 at the weekend :O

alanf
    Free Member

@Turboferret – hopefully the wind has died down a bit too by then as it looks like it could be a bit of a sail, which I imagine would be no fun!!!!
    Enjoy…

turboferret

@alanf fortunately the forecast for Sunday suggests that it’ll mainly be a tailwind, but it’ll be a headwind for a few miles. It’ll affect me a lot more than anyone without a flag, so I think I’ll have to capitalise on the initial tailwind to bank time for when it’s in my face. Hopefully my pack won’t be upset at this strategy!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ll need to run faster than the tailwind, other wise that thing will be wrapping itself round your napper!

geomickb
    Free Member

Has anyone experienced/fixed weak/inactive glute med? Whenever I try and start running I quickly get injured (currently rec fem tendinopathy) and the physio always says it’s due to weak/inactive glute med.

I always start off running small distances (<1 mile) and build up really slowly.

I have done loads of work trying to fix this but never seem to fix the problem.

Is all this “weak glute” stuff nonsense? Has anyone fixed it?

Cheers,

Mick

alanf
    Free Member

@turboferret – yeah the pack will be stuck to you like glue, hopefully they’re not an unruly mob and give you a break. I’m sure you’ll pace it to perfection.
    Just out of interest, does this qualify you for a free go next year or some other event?
    I’d be useless at this as I don’t wear a watch or know how fast I’m going so it could be any time come the finish. I’m sure the punters would not be happy with that!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve ran a couple of ultras with a lass who’s in the same boat, she does a shit load of squats, lunges, whatever etc to overcome.

ta11pau1

Advice needed for newbie.

Currently I can run/plod 5 to 6 k, but slowly (ave around 6 to 6.10 mins/km). I want to be able to run 10 k in the near to mid-term, at a slightly faster pace, say 5.30 mins/km. Doesn’t sound too outlandish to me, at least compared to feats of athleticism in this thread.

What’s the best way to do this? Keep extending distance, or keep same distance but try to run a bit faster?

I started in January and am now beginning to enjoy running. Even on these dark, rainy, windy nights. Can’t put my finger on it though!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I’m close to the end of the couch to 5k, and after I’m done I’ll aim to run 3 times per week, with a normal 5k, a shorter run with hill repeats, and a slower, longer run, starting at 6k and increasing by 0.5km every couple of weeks.

That should see me able to run 10k comfortably within a few months, and also improve my 5k time.

My run today was week 8, run 3:

3.27 miles / 5.26 km
    28:02 elapsed time
    8:34 /mile / 5:20 /km average pace

New 5k PB of 26:22

ta11pau1

OK guys, I’m using a Fossil Wear OS smartwatch to track my runs at the moment, using the strava app. It’s…. OK. ish. Drops about 10% battery for a 30 min run, the optical HRM can be really consistent one run, then WILDLY inaccurate the next (190bpm 4 minutes into a run, you say?), and only does basic stuff (distance, pace, laps, HRM). I love seeing the live pace as this really lets me run at a consistent speed. I don’t see me stopping running anytime soon.

Been looking at the Suunto 7 as a ‘best of both worlds’ with the intention of rewarding myself in a few months after I hit a target or 2 – 10k in 52 minutes/5k in 25 minutes for example.

However, looking at something like a Garmin Forerunner 245 music, jeebus they offer just so much more than even the suunto. But, only basic notification/smartwatch features.

I use a wahoo bolt with a HRM chest strap for MTB/gravel riding, and if I’m honest have stayed away from the garmin gps devices for multiple reasons. Are the garmin sports watches/android app a lot better?

Sleep tracking, external sensor support, no touch screen (give me buttons!!!), 4-7 day battery life, accurate gps and HRM, cadence, offline spotify music, the list goes on – all things my current fossil sport lacks. And the Suunto 7 is also lacking in a few of these areas too (sleep tracking, external sensors, battery life, spotify offline).

Thoughts? I’d keep my fossil sport as I’d wear it when I want to look ‘smart’ and not ‘sporty’ as it’s much more discrete than a big sports watch.

bonni

Thanks ta11pau1.

Your plan sounds like something I could work with.

Best of luck with your progress.

dougie80
    Free Member

I thought I’d stick my head up in here and say hi. I’ve been following this thread for a while now and it was the inspiration that started me running by following the C25K back in November which has kinda snowballed to where I am now (comfortably running 10k and having completed a 10 mile run, both off road and which I’d have laughed at when I started out!)

I kind of diverged from the C25K plan around week 7 though as I had run a sub 25 5k on the Week 6 25 minute run and that was no longer the ‘target’. I still followed the basics but it became more about time running than completing the distance as I’d obviously achieved that and I started to do a few interval sessions to keep me interested. Now I’m running 4-5 times a week – mainly lunch runs at work at arond 30 minutes and a longer run at the weekends. Also haven’t been on a bike for about 6 weeks as I find running that bit easier to do just now (no muddy bikes to clean afterwards).

@ta11pau1
    when I started in November I was using my Garmin Instinct which I’d bought for mtbing rather than using my Edge 500. At the end of January I bought a Forerunner 245 (non music) as I didn’t see myself stopping running. Best thing I did as it shows so much more than the Instinct does for runs. They both have their uses but for running the 245 is a brilliant watch and I do like the Training Status metrics it builds as you use it as I find it useful for gauging where I am on a day to day basis.
    The one area I find they aren’t great in general is the optical HR, when I started out I used my HR strap with the Instinct but eventually gave up as it kept slipping down on me and became a distraction. I stopped using it and relied on the Instinct’s OHR, it worked but it wasn’t that great compared to the strap. Having a read around I noted some reviews saying that as sensor was on your wrist it can be succeptible to temperature i.e. your wrist is cooler than the rest of your body (until warmed up) and this can cause issues with reading HR. I bought a Polar OH1+ which goes around my bicep and it works fine, no issues with it reading HR accurately and is in a warmer position on your body. I’d also say it’s far more comfortable to wear than a chest strap.

I’ll also add that we have 4 Garmins in our house – the aforementioned ancient Edge 500 that has never had an issue, the Instinct is over a year old with no issues and now my 245. My wife has a Vivoactive 3 and that has been fine for the 18 months she has had it as well. Maybe we have just been lucky with Garmin!

turboferret

@alanf the reward for pacing is free entry and free clothing and trainers. I’m told it’s great fun, but that might be more for a medium paced London where there is a proper party atmosphere with huge crowd support rather than a brisk half, so we shall see.

I’m normally pretty good at pacing, and a GPS watch makes it almost idiot-proof, although they go nuts around Canary Wharf so I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Agreed, not sure whether it’ll be better to have the flag dragging me back, or wrapped around my coupon 😀

turboferret

@alanf for some ultras, if you volunteer one year you can get an entry the following year, which is sometimes the only way of guaranteeing that you get in. Not sure if you have to pay or not

alanf
    Free Member

@Turboferret I’ve seen some of those ultras, in fct my mate did that for the 3 peaks cyclocross this year so he can do it again next year…
    So basically you get to do a tempo run and get some free stuff too. I suppose that’s a bonus.

I take it you’re doing London again this year? Although I know you’ve been struggling with the legs/pelvis. How’s the training panning out now? I’m struggling a bit with a dodgy heel/ankle at the moment which I think is probably plantar related, but hopefully it’s on the mend and I should be OK for London, fingers crossed.

jam-bo

meh. 2 months to the day since i sprained my ankle. getting better slowly but still can’t run more than a couple of km without quite a lot of discomfort. started doing quite a lot with a balance ball so we’ll see if that helps.

turbo’ing is getting boring.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done Dougie, sounds like you have the bug!

turboferret

@alanf basically I’m still buggered. I switched the run commute to cycling for a few which felt fine at the time, but legs were no better when I tried to resume running afterwards. Had a couple of weeks complete rest, but again, legs still not cooperating. The runs aren’t too bad while they’re happening, although I’m not particularly fit at the moment so they haven’t been quick, but I’ve felt utterly ruined afterwards. I’m halfway through my 10 week course of high dosage vitamin D, and in theory low vit D could fully explain my symptoms.

Racing London is off the cards, but I’d still like to participate in some way. To prevent myself from ignoring my condition and utterly killing myself in the race I’ve stepped into a pacing role instead. A friend is injured so I’m taking his place as the 3:15 pacer which should be a nice steady long run with a party atmosphere. I’m hoping to be back on track for Edinburgh marathon a month later, but that’s not definite either….

All in all, quite frustrating. If it were something tangible and easily diagnosed with a predicable recovery period it would be much easier to deal with.

I had some plantar issues a few years ago, lots of rolling helped – the more painful the rolling, the more effective it seemed to be!

lunge

@ta11pau1

The Garmin running watches are very good indeed, if you’re going to keep running they are well worth the outlay.

The 245 is the latest model and so has the latest HRM. They wrist based ones aren’t as accurate as a chest strap but they’re not far off. The music works well too, downloading a playlist or podcast from Spotify is easy and then you just need some Bluetooth headphone for it to talk to.

In our house we currently have a 35 which is a really good, basic running watch that does as much, if not more, than most people need, a 645 Music which has a load of extra functionality and a 235 which is also cracking.

dougie80
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge yeah, it’s well and truly caught. I used to hate running as I always tried to go to fast/far too quickly. Following the C25K had me take it far steadier until I was comfortable and I then noticed I was pushing the distances up just by running for 25/28/30 minutes.

I’ve signed up for parkrun and done one so far – Hazelhead, Aberdeen. Need to go back and see if I can improve my time a bit. Thought I’d do them regularly but I’ve found I prefer being out on my own doing bigger loops of the trails I normally ride on which is great fun.

bob_summers

@jam bo same boat here (4 weeks ago tomorrow) and just got in my 2nd run today – 5km on the beach. Ankle is still swollen, the bone on the outside is twice the size as the uninjured one, though the physio wasn’t concerned. I’ve sprained my ankle a few times but wasn’t running then, so didn’t really pay much attention – don’t know what’s normal or not. Seems to have normal range of motion, I get the odd twinge but have been walking and riding without pain. Running feels very awkward and alien, and I’m terrified of placing the foot badly on the usual lumps and bumps in the sand, but I’ve entered an 18km fell race at Easter so I’ve got to get started really.

Which bit hurts? Would be worth a visit to physio in your case surely? Also check out the propioception exercises shown in places like the Prehabguys (YT, insta..)

Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 7,708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.