Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 4,447 total)
  • The Running 2020 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

if you can run a marathon you can certainly do a 40 mile ultra. Just make sure you train on similar terrain to the ultra. Time on your feet is probably more important than distance – when I’m hitting peak training with my mates we’re usually something like 35km outings, maybe 6 hours or so up a mountain. (And my mates have successfully done the Tor des Geants, UTMB, etc…)

That’s really good to hear. I will try and go over a marathon, for the pychological reasurance as much as anything. My mileage is going up week on week, I normally hit 35 ish per week but I think I need to be nearer 50 as I get into the training.

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

@turboferret

Just seen your Strava for the Denbies. Great time considering one of our faster runners came in at 50 minutes – the speed of the top runners astounds me. You beat Ollie Garrod too who wins the Nonsuch parkrun most weeks. You should come along to that and go for a win, although you mentioned family commitments.

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

@surfer took me a couple of years adjusting to being less fit, health niggles and generally running less (key factor I suspect!). Coming to terms with letting go of older performances (never stellar) and being able to enjoy racing at newer, crapper level. It’s still a fun battle at whatever pace. And running offroad means times are largely irrelevant 🙂

Congrats to your nephew, nice work!

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

@surfer

I was a reserve for the Inter-Counties last year, and got a call up just a few days prior. However by this time I had assumed I wasn’t in the team, so had made other commitments, so had to turn it down 🙁 Unfortunately for Surrey we didn’t close in a full team due to a DNF. I would expect to be higher up the list of potentials this year, but as the Surrey League is also used as a judge of form, and as I can’t make those due to kids swimming, it’s not a given.

I would assume that I’d be one of the slowest racing and would have to manage my expectations accordingly.

@roots-n-5th

I know Ollie pretty well, we’ve raced each other for quite a few times. He’s incredibly consistent and has been improving while also extending the distances he’s racing. I see that for the entirety of 2019, in the 51 parkruns he ran in, he was the first finisher in 49! He was in my group until about half-way when he dropped off, but still managed his highest ever position.

MrSparkle

Not run further than about 6 miles since doing the Joss Naylor Challenge last June. What’s that you say – the 32 mile Haworth Hobble is open for entries? Oh, go on then. #idiot.

lotto

Wow MrSparkle, did you manage to get a tankard?

Spin

I will try and go over a marathon, for the pychological reasurance as much as anything

Stepping up to a longer distance is largely in the head. Obviously the training is important but psychology is probably more so.

Ballot entry in for carnethy five, anyone else? Spin? Will?

dashed

@MrSparkle – entry form for your race in the post 🙂

surfer

@stever

and being able to enjoy racing at newer, crapper level. It

You are spot on. It took me a little while to adjust from my mediocre level (but often within sight of the sharper end) to much further back in the field. Veteran athletics is fantastic and a real motivator but I am embarrassed to say I was possibly a bit of a Prima Dona for a while…. I am over that and at the end of the day regardless of performance I know I will run until I simply cant do it any more and I have “racing” in my blood, however slow that may be. I turned 55 in October and am focused on staying injury free and looking to race other V55’s whenever I can, regardless of where I am in the field.. I am happy to beat plenty of other younger age groups as well….

lotto

Wow MrSparkle, that is an outstanding achievement and an excellent written account. Great information regards training too. Well done, and a handshake from Joss Naylor at the end too, I should think memories made on that day will last forever. A very nice personal touch pre booking The Screes,  I bet that was a good night. Have you any more challenges on the horizon?

MrSparkle

@dashed – top man. I am aiming to have a night recce in the near future followed by a pint in the Royal after.

@lotto. Thank you! It was a tough day out but I scraped in by the skin of my teeth. I’m only just over tendinitis gained doing the JNC and have struggled with mojo since but have now rashly entered the Hobble as mentioned above. We’ll see how it goes.

surfer

@mrsparkle

I remember reading your account a little while ago, brilliant effort! What were your leg splits??

MrSparkle

Cheers.
    Leg 1 – 3’27”. Leg 2 – 2’21”. Leg 3 – 4’26”. Leg 4 – 4’11”

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

@MrSparkle – I was about to sign up for your Dark Un and realised it’s valentine’s day, and you know what an old romantic I am. You don’t mention what truly grim weather you had for your JNC. I was thinking I could have a pop at this in my dotage but you’re way fitter than me and didn’t have a lot to spare 🙂
    @anyone else – Dark Un is great race. A truly memorable event. Recommended.

surfer

Thanks MrSparkle!

MrSparkle

Hi Steve. Yes, it’s on VD. It’ll be the ‘Luuuuuvre Edition’ which should make the Disco on the tops interesting… ;0).
    Re JNC: Aye, weather wasn’t ideal. I think I would have been A LOT faster if it had been any better AND I had sorted my eating out before it was too late. I think you are eminently capable of doing it. It’s a good route.

Premier Icon stevie750
    Subscriber

I have a couple of questions question for those of you that said running cured their knee issues.

How bad where your knees before as I struggle to stand up due to dodgy knees, but once I am up I am mostly OK.

When you started running did your knees get worse before they got better?

My knee wasn’t as bad as yours sounds, I had a meniscal arthroscopy done privately, consultant said stick to 5k, no more than 10k.

That looked quite prophetic as it swelled at first when I started back, and would be stiff and painful.

Kept going, stuck to 5k, and it eventually stopped.

Feels better than ever now, managed 4 ultra marathons last year, 7 hill races and a fair few halfs.

Everyone’s injuries are different though. All the best with it.

Spin

a handshake from Joss Naylor at the end too

I got a Joss handshake at a race last Easter. Haven’t washed it since.

lotto

Fantastic. I’ve never seen him in real life, only ever in books/tv. Comes across as the sort of guy that when he is around and talks, then people stop and actually listen to take heed. Not a lot of people with that quality.

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

Incredible achievements by Joss Naylor. I really can’t comprehend how anybody does such things as it’s so far beyond my capability.

Having said that someone I know moved to Devon a few years back and when he lived near me he was relatively unfit, just picked up a folding bike and was starting to potter around slowly on it. I caught up with last year and he showed my his running certificates – 5K, 10K, 10 miles, Half, Marathon, Ultra and then the 100 mile coast run of some sort. Atounding. Well done all!

djambo

Unlike some of the machines on this thread i’m firmly in the plodder thread. After a good run of injury free running in the 2nd half of last year i’ve set myself target of running 1,000km this year. Thats > double what i did last year (running a couple of 5km / week usually) so feels quite a challenge.

Doing ok so far with 44km in the bag. Lets hope i can keep this consistency up all year!

Good start djambo!.

trail_rat

Medium run weekend.

Clachnaben 20k teaching my ironman mate who regularly Carries **** all anywhere…but is doing the hill marathon next month with me which runs under Scottish hill running rules so you have to carry minimum kit.

So what to carry where to carry and find out if his bag fits.

dashed

@djambo – same goal here >1000km. So far I’ve done 13km!! Cannot get rid of this bloody cold!!

Having only ever done a maximum of 12km, which was a trail run, but regularly doing 5k or 10k’s twice a week, should I be mindful of anything when running half-marathon distance? I had hoped to do it in December but the lurgy and a rolled ankle put paid to that; do I need to take water/food etc., or should I just do my usual and run out the door?

Just be well hydrated, fuel as you would for a 10k, head out and take it easy.

Ta. Didn’t fancy carrying anything other than my hefty frame.

Premier Icon lovewookie
    Subscriber

Proper Newby here.
    Ive started a journey, with the aim to be able to run a bit, having not ran for a very long time.
    Broke my finger before christmas, so haven’tbeen on the bike since. In my frustration this week, thought it a good opportunity to start running.

downloaded the couch to 5k app for a bit of guidance, and headed out yesterday morning.
    it went OK I think, 8 no. 60 sec runs with 90 sec walk between. sounds easy enough and in terms of being out of breathI felt fine. Guess most of my biking fitness is OK for that, but the front and medialis bits of my thigh were starting to ache. To be expected, don’t really use those much otherwise.

Today the DOMS have started. not too bad aside from yesterdays achey muscles. I’ll keep it up, was hoping to get out again tomorrow, but I think I may need to wait at least another day before the ache has decreased. Over time I’ll get used to using those muscles and using running as a bit of cross training may actually be a feasible thing.

🙂

crapjumper

Lovewookie, just keep chipping away at your own pace and you will eventually get there 👍

Lovewookie, sounds like you know what you’re doing, keep at it.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Today the DOMS have started. not too bad aside from yesterdays achey muscles. I’ll keep it up, was hoping to get out again tomorrow, but I think I may need to wait at least another day before the ache has decreased. Over time I’ll get used to using those muscles

As someone who’s taken up running twice in the last year or so (but rides a lot anyway), I found I only got bad DOMS once. It took longer to build up to being able to run 10km-plus without adverse effect, but I think my legs have toughened up now.

Might actually be starting to enjoy it, a bit.

surfer

Slow first parkrun for ages, 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks training, 80 seconds improvement. Long way to go.
    A certain Mr Boardman some way in front…

It would be great if anyone could complete this survey please:

Survey

It is for a Masters Degree and he would very much appreciate it 🙂

Premier Icon lovewookie
    Subscriber

The DOMS put me off last time I tried, stopped me enjoying biking for a few days!

This time I’m not on the bike anyway, so will keep at it. 🙂

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Also another running noob here. Started with easy an 3km late last year and have now managed a few 5km runs so far this year. I’m using it as a bit of cross training and heading out very early before the wife heads off to work,the kids don’t seem to want to cycle in this weather 😂
    Wouldn’t say I’m enjoying it yet but the aches afterwards are a lot less, stretching has definitely helped that.

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

Just done the Surrey League div 3 at Oxshott. I love XC races!

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Hell of a morning this morning.
    Run to parkrun where I’m the ED.
    Run parkrun.
    Bit of volunteering doing some barcode scanning.
    Helped shut down only to find we had a record attendance.
    10 mile run home.
    Freshly baked sourdough from the bakery down the road.

I’m not sure Saturdays get any better than that you know.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 4,447 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.