Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The Road
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Watched this on I player yesterday – not a good film to watch if your a bit under the weather. Anyone notice the similarities in the current weather. Have we had an apocalypse the no one has told me about? Will I get eaten by cannibals on my ride today – passing through Swansea so a higher probability than normal I guess.

mikey74
    Free Member

The book is one of the most devastating I have ever read, and the film isn’t too far off.

I know a lot of people complain about it but I like the way they never tell you what the cause of the apocalyptic conditions is: It gives it a timeless feeling and suggests that it could happen to us, if we’re not careful.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes, very believable

scaredypants

I read the book. Bleak, harsh, tiny bit formulaic storyline but then that’s probably “realistic” given the circumstances. Good read.

I worry that the film wouldn’t fit my internal version of the characters and their environment – after all, there’s very little structure in the story, so my version is probably very personal

ourmaninthenorth

I worry that the film wouldn’t fit my internal version of the characters and their environment – after all, there’s very little structure in the story, so my version is probably very personal

Likewise. Consequently have never watched it.

langylad
    Free Member

Read Blood Meridian after a recommendation on here and although it was strangely compelling, i disliked the style so wouldn’t have bothered with The Road. Watched half of it the other evening before having to go to bed and will be finishing it tomorrow. Again bleak, brutal but compelling

olddog

I read the book first. The film is actually pretty good IMO. It’s not as good as the book or as emotionally draining, but then the impact is lessened by reading first. It does capture the relentless bleakness and hopelessness.

stewartc
    Free Member

I thought the ending was upbeat, considering what happens to get there.

flange
    Free Member

I thought the book was amazing. Downloaded the film ages ago but haven’t watched it because itll just leave me feeling even more depressed.

olddog

The film ending less downbeat than the book I think. But ultimately there is no hope?

boxelder

The ending in the book is less upbeat – you’re left wondering.

mrchrispy

my young lad was a toddler when it first came out (and young lass was just a baby) so we’d done maybe 3 years of very little sleep. I tried to watch it but lasted about 10 mins before I realized I’d endup and crying mess.

ive avoided it since then

olddog

Maybe it’s just because I read the book before seeing the film and the book -and I guess- is so relentlessly grim…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The Road’ is closed to new replies.