Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • The right way to eat
  • nickjb
    Free Member

The chap at the table next to me has ordered fish, chips and beans. Ok, it should be peas, but it’s an understandable substitute. That’s not the issue. When it arrived he ate all the beans, then all the chips, then started on the fish. That’s not usual is it?

mashr

Well the beans would definitely need eaten first so they don’t contaminate them fish and chips. After that I’m not sure I’m happy with his approach

Yak

No. He’s a wrong’un. Run away.

The correct technique is a bit of everything in no particular order. But you have to finish with a mouthful of the best bit. In this case the fish.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Pretty much what I would have done. Typically save the best for last.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Always fibre first.

shermer75
    Free Member

Eating the constituent parts of a meal separately and in some kind of premeditated and strictly adhered to order = psychopath. Fact.

BillMC

Leave a little bit of everything for the last forkful.

madeupname
    Free Member

@shermer75

Eating the constituent parts of a meal separately and in some kind of premeditated and strictly adhered to order = psychopath. Fact.

I always eat the fava beans first, then the liver. Finish with the Chianti…

And nothing must touch on the plate.

This is normal, no?

tthew

That’s exactly what I’d do. In that order also for that meal, but it’s worst bits first, best for last.

Christmas Dinner* will go somthing like. Sprouts, carrots, beans, cauliflower cheese, roast potato, turkey, pigs in blankets. I’d then eat as much of the custard as I could before Christmas pudding

A lot of people think it’s odd, but it’s not that unusual. Edit – not that rare might be a more accurate statement. 😁

*exact constituents may vary.

walleater

I would put it all in a blender, and then drink it while watching my favourite Coldplay concert.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m going to sit a little bit further away from my daughter and maybe blunt her knives a bit….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Eating the constituent parts of a meal separately = psychopath. Fact.

This

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sensible. You eat the protein last as it’s the most expensive. If you fill up on cheap and nasty veg you will still eat that yummy meat as not doing so would be a horrible waste of money and yumminess. So much so that it won’t be a problem as the yumminess overpowers any fullness. To do it the other way whereby you might be full whilst still having cherap and yucky veg left over. You won’t want to eat it and will be tempted to leave it as it’s not expensive and thus you risk wasting money.
    As a compromise you might follow this method until all elements left on the plate are in equal proportion thus allowing a bit of everything on the fork at the same time. Saving something nasty and veggy is acceptable to scrape up any gravy left.

scotroutes

If I have a chippy / MacD’s etc, I always eat all the chips before the rest of the meal.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Chips, batter, fish.
    I only eat in an order with fish & chips.

theotherjonv

but what if you overfill with beans and chips and don’t have space for the fish?

Bits of everything, but predominantly the main event. It might be the headliner, but that’s where the similarity to the music festival ends.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sensible. You eat the protein last as it’s the most expensive.

Unsensible, for me. You’ve eaten the best part of the meal cold.

slackboy

No bread and butter? Must be some kind of Philistine.

tthew

but what if you overfill with beans and chips and don’t have space for the fish?

Never going to happen

You’ve eaten the best part of the meal cold.

I also have no clacker it doesn’t get time to go cold!

jimmy

Fish first, then chips til full. Don’t wanna risk being over full and leaving fish – criminal.

Peas along the way, they not filling.

Beans can get in the sea where the fish came from.

shermer75
    Free Member

I would put it all in a blender, and then drink it while watching my favourite Coldplay concert

This made me laugh out loud!

dyna-ti

Fish, chips and beans = Fishy farts.

MoreCashThanDash

No bread and butter? Must be some kind of Philistine.

Fair point

mjsmke

Fish, chips, and beans. Throw the fish out; smelly vile stuff. Realise everything else on the plate smells and tastes of fish now so throw that out too. Open all the windows in the buildi g to get rid of the fishy smell. Make something less smelly and eat that instead

dove1

Dangerous psychopath. You should have pointed at him, screamed and run away.
    He’s probably the type that takes a Jammy Dodger apart to lick the pretend jam out before eating each biscuit half.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s the most sensible way to eat meals that come with separate bits. Vegetables and salads first, headline act last, everything separate. That way you don’t leave the meal with your last memory of it being a boring vegetable. And mixing foods except in a full breakfast is for psychopaths.

Salad, then rice, then curry (although actually I’d have salad then curry eaten with the Chapatti as a fork).

Peas, then chips, then fish.

Carrots, sprouts, potatoes, pigs in blankets, turkey.

rOcKeTdOg

my Sil always arranges her plate in descending order of what she likes, so say mushrooms first through to the battered fish etc, but never puts two different food varieties on her fork at the same time.

matt_outandabout

When it arrived he ate all the beans, then all the chips, then started on the fish. That’s not usual is it?

If you know anyone with dispraxia or autism, this is very familiar. See my dinner table every night.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m sorry you people advocating eating the stuff separately are just so wrong.

Why the **** do you think a meal course is served together on a **** plate?

It’s because it’s supposed to be eaten together.if you were supposed to eat the bread, then the butter, then the soup, then the chips, then the veg then the fish, then the crum****le then the **** ing custard afterwards then they’d bring it on 9 separate effing plates and call it a 9 course meal.

Buy they don’t, and you shouldn’t.

Philistines.

funkmasterp

thegeneralist has it! Mixing flavours is what it’s all about. Eating things individually is just weird.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think you will find the weirdo here is you being so concerned about other people’s eating habits?

I’d have left the building when the beans came out. I love beans but they have no plaice on a plate with fish and chips.

Actually… I’m judging you quite heavily for eating fish and chips on a plate with cutlery in a restaurant.

sirromj

You can all get stuffed!

funkmasterp

Actually… I’m judging you quite heavily for eating fish and chips on a plate with cutlery in a restaurant.

It’s the people who eat pizza or a burger with a knife and fork that you need to watch out for. Dangerous individuals!

Northwind

I used to always eat everything in order. Same order every time of course. Used to get told off for not eating my crusts but I was just saving them til last since they’re the best!

Then I learned to hide sociopathic behaviour so I could avoid the asylum and continue to kill. But I still eat the crusts last.

jimw
    Free Member

My brother in law is from Bari, southern Italy, where my sister has lived since 1982. He almost always eats his meat or fish separately from any vegetables unless it is something like a casserole where he might have potatoes with it. When he first came to England in the early 80’s he was equally astonished that we would eat all our different foods together.

tthew

Why the **** do you think a meal course is served together on a **** plate?

Because your 9 different plates would cause loads of washing up!

Mate of mine did buy me one of those prison trays with the separate individual bowls, think he was having a little joke.

Oh aye, there’s another thing, square plates. Don’t like them either.

mogrim

If I have a chippy / MacD’s etc, I always eat all the chips before the rest of the meal.

Likewise. But that’s about it, the rest of the time I mix it on the fork.

But in this particular case @mjsmke is correct. Vile stuff.

sandboy

If you know anyone with dispraxia or autism, this is very familiar. See my dinner table every night.

So very much this.

avdave2

60 years since my dad joined the fire brigade, he still says eat your favourite bit first. Too many meals left to go cold when the bells went off.

csb

I would put it all in a blender, and then drink it

1982, broken jaw from massive bike jump into oak tree, 2 weeks eating tan sludge of blended meals.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘The right way to eat’ is closed to new replies.