Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The Ridgeway – current conditions advise please.
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Over Xmas I’m going to plan a long CX ride and this looks like it’ll be lots of fun, so I’m asking folks what the current conditions are like which will give me an idea for a few weeks time.

Thanks.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Didn’t do the Ridgeway, but Friday went out locally and brushed the Wayfarers Walk and all seem pretty good, considering. I almost considered not cleaning the bike afterwards, as well, which is unheard of in my house.

adsh
    Free Member

I think the premise of your post is suspect given there could be 4 weeks of rain or drought plus the ridge way stretches from Chinnor to Avebury ranging from clay to chalk. Whatever enjoy the ride. Fwiw I think the clay bit in the chilterns is more fun.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

I know it’s a long way, just wondering on general conditions.
    The SDW in parts is claggy clay but most of it is still hard pack, so if I was to give a general conditions, that’s the kind of report I’d like.

Thanks.

jameso

A winter e-2-e can be a slog, but generally it’s not a bad route, it holds up better than you expect. The flatter area for about 5-10 miles near Chinnor / the quarry gets the worst mix of drainage water and horse-churn so if that spot is ok, the rest will be passable.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Last Sunday it was YUK all rideable just need a hose pipe at the end of the day.I was on the Old Ridgeway/Ridgeway to Avebury/Flyfield common/Rockley to Albourne.Very slick might be abit of a handfull on a cross bike.Hopefully you will get good views last week very foggy.

pymwymis
    Free Member

There are very few truly unrideable bits, even at the clay end (chinnor) but it does get pretty horrible. There’re are stretches I wouldn’t even look at unless I was going end 2 end like you.

That said, Let’s face it, if you wanted to stay clean you wouldn’t ride off road anyway so just get to it and enjoy it for what it is.

RUSHER4

I lived in the area for 16 years and rode on the Ridgeway for much of that time. Much of it has been sanitised recently and with the 4X4s banned it is all rideable all year round. The lack of climbing will compensate for any mud.
    TBH the riding East of the Thames isn’t that interesting though.
    If you can get hold of a recent copy of “Cycling Plus” two guys did the E2E on CX bikes in a day in the winter if that helps.
    Whatever, have a great ride.

druff
    Free Member

Was out around Ashridge, Pittstone and Ivinghoe today so at one of the Ridgeway’s extremities. The entire ride consisted of either fighting the bike to get it to comply and turn, or attempting to tame some cronic oversteer when in a turn. It was ace!

The majority of the Ridgeway itself is well surfaced from what I know of it. You should be fine*

*Unless of course it rains solidly for the next 4 / 5 weeks. Then it will be an absolute mudbath. That said it will still be fun, I’m sure.

cinnamon_girl

The Ridgeway is a fantastic trail, I’ve walked the whole length and cycled plenty of it.

Be careful if you’re going to descend Barbary Castle in the wet! That’s at the Western end which is more open and you get the views.

Do keep us posted!

retrobri
    Free Member

I rode ridgeway Goring to a34 on my local loop at the weekend. Seemed ok, wheels turned and not too claggy.

good luck with CX ride! one day I’ll do the full trail!

weeksy

Currently good. Same as Retrobri above, that’s my local area.

I’ve seen it somewhere between OK and completely un-rideable though at Xmas sort of time. Simply you get 10m and your wheels are fully… bash them out… 10m more… etc

drofluf
    Free Member

Was up there yesterday above Wantage. Very wet and muddy, for the first time my wheels got so clagged up that they wouldn’t turn

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe thanks fellas.

My plan is to pick out the best bits you’ve mentioned above and ride those then substitute road for trail in the horrid bits.

This’ll be the first time I’ve ridden the Ridgeway and one of the rides I’ve been looking forward to do for some time.

Not bothered about getting filthy 😀

drofluf
    Free Member

Don’t forget that some of the best stuff is in the tracks off the Ridgeway

drofluf
    Free Member

Just got back from the Ridgeway. It’s wet, very wet. Had to pedal down parts I’d normally coast down and grip is at best limited.

nickc

and this looks like it’ll be lots of fun

I think you should probably seek professional help.

In the summer, I’d agree with you. pleasant riding, gorgeous countryside, agreeable pubs and towns along the way. This time of year?

Not nice. Not nice at all

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The Ridgeway – current conditions advise please.’ is closed to new replies.