• This topic has 33 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jon_n.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The RideFustle Causeway GR1 Gravel Bike
  • mboy
    Free Member

Anyone else seen it…?

YouTube Video (plus points for the Led Zep soundtrack!)

Geometry here…

LOTS to like about it for those of us Gravel Curious, or looking for something a bit more capable than the established brands are offering, yet still a lot lighter/faster/more agile than a drop bar converted MTB would be.

I’ve messaged Alastair the owner of the brand, to find out a few more specifics… Looks like it will take a 125-150mm dropper for most of us, yet still retain twin bottle cage compatibility within the frame (other mounts outside are fitted), reaches are long without being silly, will take 700x50c tyres (or up to a 650×2.1″)… It’s ticking all the boxes in my wish list that’s for sure!

Now what to do with that Rival 1x group, the Easton flared bars, spare 31.6 dropper I have kicking about…? 🤔

roverpig

Looks good. Not as crazy as a chamois Hagar but definitely in the “mountain bike inspired” category.

sangobegger
    Free Member

The fancy carbon wheel option that costs more than the base model seems a bit silly, though the bikes do look rather fetching and decent VFM.

mboy
    Free Member

Looks good. Not as crazy as a chamois Hagar but definitely in the “mountain bike inspired” category.

Very much so… I’ve actually had a quick go on Marc Beaumont’s Chamois Hagar, it’s not as out there as you might imagine. Certainly if you’re used to modern MTB’s with 65deg head angles and 1200mm+ wheelbases in a medium size at least. I really liked it, but I just can’t justify that kind of spend! For 1/3rd the price, this frameset seems spot on…

The fancy carbon wheel option that costs more than the base model seems a bit silly

I doubt very much that they expect to sell many ENVE wheel upgrades with the bike, but for the person that’s just gotta have ENVE’s, that’s the price I’m afraid!

I’ll be running some alloy Hunt wheels on mine…

Bigmantrials

Definitely at the top of my N+1 list, when I manage to get off furlough anyway!

I messaged them as to whether it would fit a 29×2.1 thunder burt, from what they said its likely limited by the whether it would hit the seat tube more than chainstay/seatstay width. Said they might get hold of a tyre to try though.

timc
    Free Member

Love the look of these! would be an ideal Delamere bike for me 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I messaged them as to whether it would fit a 29×2.1 thunder burt

Don’t know if you’ve seen the 2020 G-One updates, there’s now 700×50 sizes available across the board, and the addition of the new “Ultrabite” tyre too… I’ll likely be running a 700×50 Bite on the back and a 700×50 Ultrabite on the front. They should be a bit more durable than a Thunder Burt too.

Love the look of these! would be an ideal Delamere bike for me

Long time since I’ve been to Delamere, but unless it’s changed significantly, then yes it would be ideal round there.

dwills
    Free Member

Late to the party on this thread but just researching gravel bikes and found the Fustle brand then found this thread. Any update, has anyone bought one of the Fustle bikes and what do you think overall (pro’s / con’s) now having ridden it?
    I’m looking at the Causeway GRX810, then to try and get my head around all the options you can customise.
    Looks a great bike but wanted to look about, read up and ask as its not a brand I’ve ever heard of before. I do like the fact that the designers/owners are from a mountain bike background.
    thanks in advance, hoping someone picks this thread back up.

harvey
    Free Member

Plenty of them around my part of the world.They travel great in a local 100k gravel race, the Lakeland Gravel Grinder. There is also a couple used regularly on the local natural singletrack. All the owners rave about them as being great fun. A local bike shop gives demo rides on them!

dwills
    Free Member

Fantastic, cheers for the input. They are definitely ticking all the right boxes for me at the moment. Really good spec at what seems like a great price point.
    Didn’t realise some bike shops were stocking, I thought it was buy direct from Fustle only.
    Cheers again.

steelbike
    Free Member

I follow the guy who’s brand Fustle is on instagram from memory he’s the bloke that did nukeproof stuff for CRC.

Daz the cyclist ( former racer Darren tapp) is also beating the shit out of them on Instagram

cheers_drive

Same designer as the original Nukeproof Mega, the Privateer 161 and 141, Forbidden Druid so he knows what he’s doing. @Rocketdog has one I think

dwills
    Free Member

Awesome. Cheers guys. Sounding better all the time. Would love to see one in the flesh but lockdown and all that and the lack of shops stocking them, or at least from what I can see anyway.

rOcKeTdOg
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Sounds like an interesting bike. Thought I’d finally decided whether I wanted a dropper on the new gravel bike but this has opened that can of worms up again.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Was happy with my bike line up (the n+1 calling is always there) until I saw this 🤭

dwills
    Free Member

@Rocketdog cheers for the link, off to have a good read of that now.

Sorry for opening cans of worms back up all! Its a minefield all of this.

Struck up a conversation with Darren Tapp (@daz_the_cyclist on insta) this morning (cheers for the heads up @steelbike), gave me some good insights and sounds like he is very taken with his Fustle rides, although he is brand ambassador, he seemed very genuine with his advice and not biased. Fustle is ticking all the right boxes for me.

rOcKeTdOg

@dwills for the record I’m not an ambassador, if the bike had been awful I’d have said so, that’s the good thing about unbiased reviews. On the basis of my time with the bike I put my hand in my pocket & bought a frameset.

Here’s mine

aut3~2

dwills
    Free Member

@rOcKeTdOg sorry, hope you don’t think I was suggesting you may have been an ambassador, I took your review as unbiased, and a top review at that. Reading it has got me even more hooked now! Just building myself up for a big fall now when I find out there is no availability, ha!
    Thanks again

rOcKeTdOg

Just building myself up for a big fall now when I find out there is no availability, ha!

Ride fustle are quick to reply so send Alistair a msg, I had to wait for the October drop of frames so there should be stock at the moment

dwills
    Free Member

thats good to know. I dropped them a message from their website, hopefully I should get a reply tomorrow. cheers
    If they do have some, I can then enter the world of customising one at point of order and working out what will suit me best. Happy days

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Intrigued by these… Is there anywhere I could demo one?

rOcKeTdOg

Intrigued by these… Is there anywhere I could demo one?

the one i had on test was via Sandy at the trailhead in Shrewsbury but it was the press bike so not sure if it’s gone elsewhere since then, might be worth a call and the riding around there is superb

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Thanks RD. Ok – I know Sandy. Bit of a schlep as I’m in Sheffield, but not undoable. Do you happen to remember what size it was – at 5’10” I’d be a medium I reckon…?

rOcKeTdOg

happen to remember what size it was – at 5’10” I’d be a medium I reckon…?

medium/large and I’m bang on 6ft, I found it spot on size wize with a 70mm stem….although I’ve now got a 60mm stem on mine just for shits and giggles

bajsyckel

Just browsing round for reviews of these and found this thread and @rocketdog ‘s useful review. Couple of questions for the owners that have had them a while – how are they on longer more road oriented days out? And does anyone know if there any differences in frames on the “backroad” and “trail” builds other than the colour scheme?

I’m tempted to get one but a bit unsure how suited it would be for road rides and especially how well it climbs on longer/steeper/repeated road climbs. Single ring would also seem limiting at the top end. Off road capabilities seem great. Would be replacing a Kinesis CX6 and overlapping with 2000s rigid singlespeed which would probably end up as a shorter ride/filthy winter stuff bike. Any thoughts?

rOcKeTdOg

Couple of questions for the owners that have had them a while – how are they on longer more road oriented days out?

I did 109 miles for the solstice ride on mine, was great no issues with a long day in the saddle

nd does anyone know if there any differences in frames on the “backroad” and “trail” builds other than the colour scheme?

afaik it’s the build, i.e. gearing/kit etc the frames are the same, although V2 frames have been tweaked slightly from my version. mainly cable routing and small touches

if you are doing mainly road rides get a double chainset and a smaller cassette version and it’ll be great, it’s more about tyre choice then too

bajsyckel

Thanks @rocketdog for the above too, had a deeks earlier, all helpful stuff.

the00
    Free Member

Very tempted by the GR1.1 update!
    I’d like a Chamois Hagar, but this looks much easier to justify.
    Is there anything else I should consider?

jon_n
    Free Member

After my thread about wanting a new gravel bike with a longer front-centre, I bought one a week or so ago – frame only.

It’s built up with bits from my old bike (2×10 GRX) with some new bits (cowchippers and cables/hoses mainly).

So far I’m happy – the company seemed decent to deal with – there was a discount listed if you signed up to their newsletter which has expired, they offered me a larger discount when I mailed asking about it! Frame also seems well thought out – ports for 4 internally routed cables/hoses, so you can run a front mech and a dropper decent clearance, options for running racks / mudguards etc.

Inaugural ride was today – just a 12 mile spin round some local country lanes and mucky green lanes. It rides very nicely, seems very well mannered on tarmac and dirt, and seems comfortable enough for me in terms of riding position (barring a few tweaks on brifter position with the new bars).

the00
    Free Member

@jon_n Good to hear, thanks. I think it was on your thread that I first heard of it. A new frame deserves a ‘new bike day’ post.

How does the cable routing working with 2x gears? Is there an outer cable stop for the front mech? I think I’d take most of the parts over from a well used London Road.

the00
    Free Member

I’ve still not ordered… A bit unsure because of the press fit BB

rOcKeTdOg

My press fit BB is still going strong after 2 years of abuse in all weathers and a few stream crossings. Not a squeak out of it, it does depend on the installer though.

Just building up my 1.1

jon_n
    Free Member

Apologies, missed the replies to this…

How does the cable routing working with 2x gears? Is there an outer cable stop for the front mech? I think I’d take most of the parts over from a well used London Road.

I swapped from a Tiagra front mech which required a cable stop to a GRX one which has a cable stop built in. I needed a braze on mech adaptor to actually mount the mech, and the GRX mech itself.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.