• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Dogsby.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The Reverse Badger!
  • Dogsby

Evening All,

I am planning to complete the Badger Divide in Oct this year but from Glasgow to Inverness. The plan is to get to Glasgow by lunchtime on Saturday, pedal North and get to Inverness by the end of Monday.

Currently planning to be ‘wild camping capable’ but also happy to explore other options such as official campsites and bothies. It’s 340km so the plan is to get about 80 out of the way on day one and then 130 or so each day thereafter.

I would be hugely appreciative of any advice or experience from the collective.

Many thanks

Dogsby

Oblongbob

I’ve only done the normal badger so the other way round. I did it in three days. Was a bit of a slog for the first day but I was a bit ill at the time. Wild camped and got some nice food at Corrour cafe as I passed by to supplement rations – recommended but check it’s open. Your plan sounds good, but make sure you’ve got your bike booked on train if using that to get back. They’re very strict and there’s very little room. You’ll be able to get plenty supplies at aberfoyle and the killin on the way, and then less options until ft Augustus. I camped at garva bridge and Glen lyon, both nice spots but plenty of options. If you’re a bit knackered at the end you do have the option to take the low route up the great glen.

Bit of a brain dump there but happy to answer any questions I can.

scotroutes

FWIW Corrour Station Cafe is open every day as usual through to the start of November and has extended the opening days this year with Thu-Sun through to mid-December.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Like Oblongbob, I did it N->S, but B&Bed it over 3 days, which was pretty civilised. 2 days would be doable if you were happy with early starts and late finishes and you could travel light.

Getting food en-route was less of a problem than expected, and I brought a lot of the snack stuff I’d taken back home with me – although obviously I was bookending each day nicely ballasted with a full cooked breakfast and dinner in the pub.

I did:-

Inverness to Laggan, stopping at Fort Augustus for lunch. Stayed at the Laggan Hotel. This was the most interesting and technical day’s riding. Correyairack was a bit of **** to ride up from the north and a tough descent on a gravel bike. You’ll definitely be pushing up it from the south, especially if you’re loaded. Nicer descent though.

Laggan to Killin stopping at Courrour Station (didn’t know about the Glen Lyon Tearoom). B&B in Killin. Probably the best scenery of the trip – felt proper highlandy, sweeping glens and mountains. Not technically challenging though

Killin to Glasgow was pretty easy, bar some of the WHW near Glasgow being very battered. Lunch in Aberfoyle and Loch Venachar to Aberfoyle was good riding.

As above, the wardrobe on the train can only take 2 bikes (at best – not designed for modern bikes at all – my Fugio barely fitted), so make sure you have a place booked for the train you’re on.

coconut
    Free Member

I have done this route twice, to me Glasgow to Inverness IS the correct Badger route. If you set off at lunch time you will be looking to stop in Killin, or Glen Lyon on day one. My recommendations:

– Glasgow to Aberfoyle is generally fast rolling countryside, there’s a fair climb through the woods out of Aberfoyle.
    – Stopping at Killin on day 1 is too short, push up the valley to Kenknock, you then have a really tough relentless climb. I would camp a few miles down Glen Lyon around Bridge of Balgie.
    – Day 2 is going to be a big day, Bridge of Balgie to Fort Augustus, stop at Corrour Station for lunch. The Corrieyairack Pass is a long slow slog up to the summit, you think it’s a simple roll down to Ft Augustus… it never is on the Badger Divide! The route takes some mean turns.
    – It’s easy to underestimate day 3 but it’s a hard days riding if you take the high route (you should), lot’s of climb-decent and repeat.
    – Stay above the Black Isle Brewery in Inverness.

jimdubleyou

The pub in Killin has nice rooms and pretty decent burgers.

Oblongbob

Are there not a few pubs in killin? Maybe they all do!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Is anyone else disappointed that nobody was bombed by owners?

uniqueusername

I was wondering how you could un explode a tyre full of sealant

Dogsby

All,

All the above is hugely useful and many thanks. Looks like Glen Lyon is the first stop and per Coconut’s recommendation and then heading to Fort Augusta and possibly the Kytra wild camping area. My big concern is getting to the end of a day with nowhere obvious to camp and to be stumbling around in the dark so Glen Lyon and Garva Bridge are really helpful steers.

I have booked my bike onto all of the trains and this was the first part of the planning process! LNER are the most helpful bunch unlike Cross Country who only allow bike bookings if you have booked directly through them so a complex journey that involves more than one train company becomes almost impossible.

If we could all keep our fingers crossed for good weather in the North of Scotland in October that would be really helpful!

Dogsby

Houns

Was expecting this thread to be about how to pour sealant into a tyre

Oblongbob

Just a note on the trains, as hinted at above the wee storage area really is comedy small for one, let alone two bikes. I took my hardtail (sonder signal) and had to remove on wheel to get it in as it was too long and wide to fit. There was someone else on with a gravel bike which barely fitted. So, be ready to adapt.

ads678

I was wondering how you could un explode a tyre full of sealant

Saw the title thread and thought……🤔backwards????

scotroutes

Isn’t the wee storage area under the toilet these days since they’re no longer allowed to discharge it onto the tracks?

squirrelking
    Free Member

And another warning about the Class 158 storage cupboard. IIRC they were originally for the catering trolleys so that gives you an idea of the size. If you can I’d strongly suggest either booking in advance as said or even better see if you can get on an Inter7City set.

Dogsby

I am booked on the direct train from Inverness to York so I am hoping it will be a big one!

The plan is to take the On One Whippet so will have a allen key to hand in case I need to spin the bars and take off a wheel!!

Dogsby

jimdubleyou

Are there not a few pubs in killin? Maybe they all do!

I can only vouch for the one by the bridge/waterfalls 😉 They’ll let you leave your bike in the woodshed too 🙂

Restaurant at Corrour station is worth the detour. As is cafe 82 at Drumnadrochit

Dogsby

JimW,

Carrour is an absolute must!

I have fitted some new forks with bottle mounts to The Whippet and now I have plenty of time to worry about the deteriorating weather and the fading light before setting off on 22nd!!

I am sure it will all be fine.

Dogsby

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.