Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • the reason people swap from full sus back to h/tail is???????
  • ton

because???????

ignore if not interested 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Oh come now, not again surely?

silverpigeon
    Free Member

They finally realise that 6 inches front and rear is overkill for a quick pootle round Rutland Water?

Daffy

Learn to ride better. You have to pick better lines on a hardtail to ride at the same speed as you did on a full suspension.

Hardtails are more fun for jumping and slinging about on twisty stuff as they don’t sag and bend when you rail a corner.

I prefer my full sus for a long day out but my hardtail for trail centres and their ilk.

ton

wrong kind of answers…
    the reason i am asking is because i have gone through 3 sets of rear wheel bearings in my dmr rear hub on the ventana.
    i never have a problem with bearings on various hardtails i have.

alpin
    Free Member

i find it odd that people go out and buy a full suss straight off. one riding buddy, although he can ride, doesn’t the most out of the trail as his bike simply glides over obstacles.

think everyone should learn on HT to start.

fontmoss
    Free Member

for some people it’s more fun

next!

sslowpace
    Free Member

Agree with alpin. Having ridden since ’86, everyone should have 5 years on a non sus bike to hone skillz 😉

Is it sad that I still call a hardtail a front sus?

ton

alpin, i had 20 years on a hardtail….. 8)

devs
    Free Member

Laziness! It’s much easier to get a hardtail to the top of the hill. You do it faster and feel better about yourself. They’re cheaper and require less maintenance. I think everyone should have one of each. My hardtail get most of the riding but it’s not the most fun.

rOcKeTdOg

sell?? get one of each!

Drac

Personal preference, I like them both although have more fun on my full susses.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Ton, are you feeling any flex in the rear end? Are the dropouts aligned perfectly with each other? Possibly a hub with a larger axel could be what is needed?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Didnt we have this yesterday? If you dont get it, then dont do it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I bought a hardtail as my two bouncy bikes were too similar. I like having two bikes, one to wash and one the wear. Also, most of the people I ride with are on hardtails so it’s a bit more fair on them.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

he he good thread Ton 8)

This should bring out some classic stw dross 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Due to ‘operational worthiness issues’ I might be forced to go on a bike ride with my full sus tomorrow, which I’m gutted about – I hate it. Mind you, I didn’t before I got my Scandal.

Although it might be more the fact that it’s a lot heavier and it’s got silly small wheels than the fact that it’s full sus.

Plus I find that Stans Crows at about 22 psi makes the Scandal almost feel like a full sus on some stuff.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Learn to ride better. You have to pick better lines on a hardtail to ride at the same speed as you did on a full suspension.

If that is true why do all racers (xc and dh) not use hardtails?

onandon
    Free Member

I swapped back as I just could be bothered to pi55 around with setting all the time.

it was either too hard or too soft but never just right, I didn’t trust the bike as i never knew what the hell it was going to do .

at least with my Ht i get on it a ride knowing what to expect and how hard I can push.

i ride a bike for fun not to worry about positive/negative pressures ,sag and travel.

bullheart
    Free Member

….because they need to relocate the balls they’ve somehow misplaced.

trailmonkey

Learn to ride better.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was forced onto a borrowed hardtail last summer after my Rohloff failed for the 2nd time and had to go back to the fatherland for repairs. For a decade I’d thought hardtail = not a proper bike, but suddenly I found climbing hills was much easier, and downhills were more exciting, also the reduced maintenance was a bonus, so I bought the loan bike and my old one languishes unwanted in the cellar 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think trailmonkey, that was the purpose of this thread 🙄

You can always get an indication of expected ‘trollic effect’ of his question, by the number of question marks STW’s favourite and most lovable troll, puts after his question.

Gary_C

I built my hardtail up last November with the sole intention of using it over winter on wet/muddy rides,mainly to avoid all the extra time & effort in maintaining my full sussers shock,bearings,pivots etc.

Thing is,it rides that well,& is such a blast to ride,that until I take my ‘big bike’to the Alps this summer,I can’t see me being out on anything else.

mikertroid
    Free Member

so what hard tails are you riding? Was looking to get something to replace my Stumpy FSR (10 yrs hard tails, 7 years full bouncers). Might be an option to have hard tail alongside the stumpy….

steve_b77
    Free Member

I got both a steel HT @ a fancy dan FS, love em both, ride which ever I feel like.

Smee
    Free Member

Because full sus bikes are money pits and they are made of cheese.

adeward
    Free Member

i’m getting old now,, and like a nice comfy ride,, it may make you a lazy rider,, i have almost forgoten how to manual over stuff on the trail.. hell i just let the suspension do it’s stuff,

maybe starting on a hardtail gives you the skills,, i have done my time we only had flex stems and bouncy seat posts back in 85

so i’ll keep my full suspension,,,, even my singlespeed is a full suspension bike

myheadsashed

people who swap back are usually Santa Cruz owners who have run out of cash for new bushings. 😆

adstick
    Free Member

You still need to be skilled to ride an FS properly… TBH I think you can get into trouble more quickly on an FS, so maybe you need to be more skilled than a hardtail rider to get the best out of one. You can plod about on any bike.

Then again, I’ve recently bought a little 4x hardtail, for a change, after the last 8ish years only riding FS. It’s great fun – feels much faster in the tight stuff, but it shows its limitations when it’s gets steep and bumpy.

bassspine
    Free Member

my full sus covers up how slow I am down hill
    my hardtail covers up how slow I am up hill
    my singlespeed makes me look hard
    my hybrid makes me look like a CTC member

I like to have a choice….

ton

I think trailmonkey, that was the purpose of this thread

You can always get an indication of expected ‘trollic effect’ of his question, by the number of question marks STW’s favourite and most lovable troll, puts after his question.

ernie, you made me 😳

singlespeedstu

the reason people swap from full sus back to h/tail is???????

Because they’re to soft/gay/lacking in skill to ride a rigid bike.

😉

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm there’s some more of ‘the g word’ that everyone claimed they never use in a derogatory way, and ‘jey’ definitely doesn’t bear any relation to it at all, no sir. 😐

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hardtails do it for me – they take extra skills to ride well and you have to pick your lines more than you do on a full sus making the input greater and therefore more fulfilling.

BUT

I get too many rear punctures on my hardtail 🙁

adeward
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

oh well thats your opinion,,, i’m sure a few world cup dh riders i know may have something to say about that,, but i’m certain you were just having a laugh

singlespeedstu

grumm – Member

Hmm there’s some more of ‘the g word’ that everyone claimed they never use in a derogatory way,

Sorry to dissapoint you but “gay” in that description has nowt to do with whether you like to blow on the pink oboe or not. 😆

singlespeedstu

ade ward – Member

singlespeedstu – Member

oh well thats your opinion,,, i’m sure a few world cup dh riders i know may have something to say about that,, but i’m certain you were just having a laugh

No shit sherlock.

ton

i wanted to take my stiffee out tomorrow, but i am gonna have the use the ventana, cos my lad has pinched the h/tail to go to stainburn with his mates……
    **** kids, buy em a car to give em a bit of independence and they repay you buy pinching your fave new bike……………. 😡

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry to dissapoint you but “gay” in that description has nowt to do with whether you like to blow on the pink oboe or not

You sure about that? Not saying you are a homophobe but that use of the term has pretty clear homophobic connotations. Like I said in another thread, I am sometimes guilty of using it that way too, but I don’t think it’s a particularly nice thing to do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘the reason people swap from full sus back to h/tail is???????’ is closed to new replies.