Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The real tyre size…….how do you measure it?
  • crashrash

So looking to get a decent sized tyre into the back end of my T129. For summer use I can get a trail boss 2.25 in easy, and even a Maxxis ardent race 2.3 – but just cos it comes up small. So how do the companies measure the tyre and how can I do it so I can pick the best size for my bike? Any expertise greatly appreciated!!!

psycorp
    Free Member

Simple answer is that a lot of them make it up as they go along. Some 2.2’s are the same size as some 2.5’s yada yada.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    psycorp
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is a good place to start, used it myself in the past. Bear in mind that it is all user entered data though, so some of it may not be accurate.

mattyfez

You just dont know till you try really.. some companies measurement is based on the carcass size ignoring the knobs, and I guess some are inclusive of knob size.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Wider rims give the tyres more volume too. Ask me how annoying the 2.4 rear tyre rubbing on the chain stays is since I fitted 481’s.

crashrash

Thanks for the web page
    Assume the official measure they quote is height from the rim to top of the knobs??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No. It’s the width.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘The real tyre size…….how do you measure it?’ is closed to new replies.