Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • The 'real' law on cycling while under the influence…
  • snakebite
    Free Member

what is the law on this etc, fines, licence bans etc-anyone know?

MoreCashThanDash

And you want to know because…… 😉

snakebite
    Free Member

some sheet I read somewhere from Clarkson…. 8)

ndthornton
    Free Member

The law is……

If you can make it home without falling off then you are under the limit.
    In very exceptional circumstances (e.g. beer festivals) then up to 2 falls is acceptable.
    Under no circumstances attempt to ride a curb when under the influence as this will end in disaster.
    Avoid cycling past pubs at kicking out time as your performance may be further impaired by scantily clad ladies – and any falls will be followed by much clapping and cheering.

xcgb
    Free Member

Mate got done quite a few years ago though drunk in charge of a bike , arrested and fined about £50

mind you he was standing in the middle of the road with his bike when the cops came past! 🙂

jam-bo

+ avoid canal towpaths at all costs.

nealglover
    Free Member

You can be disqualified from driving for offences committed while cycling.

It might not be very likely, but it can happen.

cookeaa

Yeah I’m sure I remember being told that being caught pissed on a bicycle would bag you some actual “Grown-up driving licence points”…

Like many of our Road traffic laws this is probably one where the application is so infrequent and patchy, that many people (and Rozzers) don’t believe it really exists, a bit like that one about using your mobile while driving…
    And effectively they are right, well right up to the point they get caught and prosecuted…

Best bet is probably just to walk, has anyone ever been done for “Being drunk in charge of a pair of feet”? Probably…

richmars

More details please.

hels
    Free Member

They can only do you for a cycling offence if they can prove it was you. Under UK law there is no obligation to produce ID when stopped, as far as I am aware. In a car, you have to produce your licence, or turn up at a cop shop within 24 hours with it.

I never carry ID on the bike. If stopped, I will give the name of that awful girl who we all hated at school.

thegreatape
    Free Member

There is a piece of legislation that allows a court to disqualify a person from driving as a punishment for any offence. It’s purpose/intention is to disrupt criminals who use their vehicles to commit crime – drug dealers for example. So while it is technically correct to say that you can be disqualified for cycling drunk, I don’t think it likely as that is not what that legislation is there for.

thegreatape
    Free Member

They can only do you for a cycling offence if they can prove it was you. Under UK law there is no obligation to produce ID when stopped, as far as I am aware. In a car, you have to produce your licence, or turn up at a cop shop within 24 hours with it.

I never carry ID on the bike. If stopped, I will give the name of that awful girl who we all hated at school.

If they suspect you of an offence – let’s say, for example, cycling whilst unfit – then if you don’t give your name and address, or they think you’re lying, then they’ll just arrest you. That applies to all offences – don’t muddle it up with the obligation for a driver to produce their licence and/or give their details, which is specifically legislated for.

Stoner
    Free Member
    seosamh77
    Free Member

Basically, you can’t get points on your license, it’s not a driving offence. It’s ultimately up to the polis to use their discretion, there is no limit, but they can dish out fines.

I looked it up a while ago. Can’t mind the specific laws though but I found and read them, and the above basically sums it up.

scruff
    Free Member

Rent a house near the pub…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

No Steps, no Stiles, no shortcuts.

It doesn’t hurt at the time.

thered

Scruff is right.

Why am I not surprised that it’s you asking this question snakey.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It might not be very likely, but it can happen.
    My car licence does not enable me to ride a bicycle so I would also be interested in details as to how they can drag them across

EDIT: Redundant given I opened this so long ago and got distracted by work

hora
    Free Member

Why would you cycle drunk or over the limit on a road or pavement?

seosamh77
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Why would you cycle drunk or over the limit on a road or pavement?

There isn’t any drunk cycling limit.

hora
    Free Member

So if a driver has an accident with a cyclist who is over the drink drive limit? Its juvenille and ‘naughty’ to think its alright but its not right is it?

seosamh77
    Free Member

hora – Member
    So if a driver has an accident with a cyclist who is over the drink drive limit? Its juvenille and ‘naughty’ to think its alright but its not right is it?

It’s most likely to be the cyclists fault, I don’t see where juvenile or naught come into it?

snakebite
    Free Member

I’m not actually sure how drunk ‘to drunk’ is…. I suppose the fact I cant remember riding any of the 12 miles home is probably one to many.. 😳

eckinspain
    Free Member

If they suspect you of an offence – let’s say, for example, cycling whilst unfit

cycling whilst unfit is an offence?
    Damn. I’ve been committing an offence every week for the last 10 years.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw I’m not saying there aren’t consequences, just that under the law there will be other things that cover a drunk cyclist causing an accident, but it isn’t cycling specific. be the same as a drunk pedestrian falling infront of a car for example.

Del

you’re not required to submit to a breath, blood or sobriety test, so if you don’t, then any allegation of drunkenness is difficult to prove. suppose they could always nick you for drunk and disorderly if they were feeling particularly like it.
    usual rules apply – ‘don’t be a dick’.

cookeaa

…If they suspect you of an offence – let’s say, for example, cycling whilst unfit…

Woah! Hang on there, never mind being shitfaced, ALL of my cycling is done while “Unfit” are you telling me I can be prosecuted for cycling while being a bit tubby?

Does it not follow that being drunk in charge of a bicycle indicates an individuals poor attitude to combining Booze and control of wheeled transportation, and hence the Rozzers/CPS could see there way clear to penalizing you as a driver (a licences activity), rather than as a cyclist (a right)?

Can you legally be banned from owning and operating a bicycle on any grounds?

tomaso
    Free Member

You need to be riding in an alarmingly poor state or lying on the road next to your bike you crashed to be done.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s something we have all done and looking back it’s not the best idea, mixing with traffic when drunk is not clever. [Australian Law]After I was run into we were all down the police station and I was breathalysed as I had been involved in a road traffic incident[/AustralianLaw – But they did nick a fair bit from the UK]

I still have a chunk of my thigh that has no feeling in it after trying to jump down a big flight of steps at uni while intoxicated and my new HTII crank fell off – nearly 10 years ago. Thankfully it’s didn’t hurt as much as it should have at the time.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Eck, Cooke, you’re in good company – I’ve ridden both to and from a police station whilst unfit hundreds of times, and never been done for it 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

More details please.

Just that really, you can be disqualified from driving, for offences committed while cycling

(Or actually any offence if they see a “sufficient reason”)

richmars

More details please.
    Just that really, you can be disqualified from driving, for offences committed while cycling

(Or actually any offence if they see a “sufficient reason”)

So there isn’t a specific law that says ‘you can be disqualified from driving if caught drink cycling’, just ‘you can be disqualified for any reason’.

That’s slightly different. Has it ever been applied to a drunk cyclist?

mrmo
    Free Member

You MUST NOT

carry a passenger unless your cycle has been built or adapted to carry one
    hold onto a moving vehicle or trailer
    ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner
    ride when under the influence of drink or drugs, including medicine.
    Law RTA 1988 sects 24, 26, 28, 29 & 30 as amended by RTA 1991

Read that bit of the law to find the answer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

snakebite – Member

I’m not actually sure how drunk ‘to drunk’ is…. I

When the grammar gets too sloppy.

nealglover
    Free Member

So there isn’t a specific law that says ‘you can be disqualified from driving if caught drink cycling’, just ‘you can be disqualified for any reason’.

A court has the power to disqualify you from driving for offences committed while you are cycling.

I’m not sure how I can make it any clearer ?

The court needs “sufficient reason” to link an offence to you driving license, but an offence committed on public roads would be enough if the court wanted to go that way.

That’s slightly different

Different from what ?

Has it ever been applied to a drunk cyclist?

No idea.

supercarp

It is a summary offence of being drunk in charge of a pedal cycle, there is no lower or upper limit so it would be for the officer who stops you to deem you drunk or not.

Drink drive law relating to motor vehicles is specifically about driving whilst the amount of alcohol in your system is above a legal limit hence the requirement to provide samples for analysis

imnotverygood

A court has the power to disqualify you from driving for offences committed while you are cycling.

I’m not sure how I can make it any clearer ?

The court needs “sufficient reason” to link an offence to you driving license, but an offence committed on public roads would be enough if the court wanted to go that way.

So what you mean is that while, in theory, a court can disqualify you from driving for any offence, including cycling while drunk (or, perhaps, not having a pedal reflector). They never ever have done with respect to cycling while drunk.

HTH

nealglover
    Free Member

So what you mean is that while, in theory, a court can disqualify you from driving for any offence, including cycling while drunk (or, perhaps, not having a pedal reflector). They never ever have done with respect to cycling while drunk.

Well, in the first bit, you’ve just repeated what I’ve already said.

And the second bit (about it never happening) is just a guess I presume ?

HTH

Not sure it does really ?

Alex

I did get caught once. By an entire police van 😉

“Are you an idiot?”

They let me off tho. Mainly because they were laughing so much!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘The 'real' law on cycling while under the influence…’ is closed to new replies.