Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • The RC 'it's not a toy' photo thread
  • Mikkel
    Free Member

Yep RR Hucknall it is.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Have flown at RR courtesy of The Woodhead’s (Jnr & Snr) and also spend a bit of time at Langar.

Mikkel
    Free Member

its a nice airfield to fly from for sure, not often you got a runway that could handle Vulcans for your RC planes (well it could before they build the test tower in the middle)

pacemaker
    Free Member

We fly mainly at Barkston and Scampton so are spoilt. 😀

Mikkel
    Free Member

I started flying RC planes again a year ago, after leaving the models behind in Denmark. Back there i used to fly off a tiny little grass strip with trees in one end, so yea i feel quite spoiled at Rolls Royce Airfield.

Are they still flying RC models off the airfield behind Hibaldstow?

pacemaker
    Free Member

I think they do, i can’t say i have ever been but remember talking to a few chaps at the Nationals last year who flew there.

Mikkel
    Free Member

girl friend is from up there and she just said they used to fly there.
    Wondering if i should start bringing a model when up visiting her parents hehehe

Smarty
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on RC
    It’s my Sons hobby really, I’m just his mechanic
    He races 1/8th scale nitro powered buggies
    This is a pic from the club website

This is with the older body shell, probably pulling about 65mph here

New shell on

These after a rebuild, ready for the next race meeting

pacemaker
    Free Member

I always keep my cheapy Belt heli in its Metal case in the boot for wasting time when its quiet!

Smarty
    Free Member

Edit: clearly I don’t know how to do videos 🙄

Smarty
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/15949044[/video]

Mikkel
    Free Member

I actually fancy a car now lol

I assume that with brushless motors and Lipo batteries electric cars can be quite fast too these days?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Things have come on a bit since the Mardave copy stock car I built in metalwork at school – even though it had an OPS .21 motor.

When the IWM first opened at Duxford I got to sit in the real P51D ‘Big Beautiful Doll’ as a kid of about 13 – made my day. 🙂

mikeyd
    Free Member

Spitfire MK IX, 1/9 scale
    6 Channel – throttle, rudder, elevator, ailerons, retractable landing grear, flaps

Scratch built, probably taken about 100hours so far…

Probably chicken out of flying it when it’s done!

fbk
    Free Member

Wow! On so many levels!

Pacemaker – those vids and stills are truly amazing!

pacemaker
    Free Member

We regularly get fly past by Rob Davies in Big Beautiful doll at model shows as Rob is a modeller too, he landed at a the invitation fly in at Ex RAF Coltishall last year.
    We were lucky enough to also get a cheeky low flypast by a couple of Typhoons as the head tech at Coninsby is the main man at the RAF model flying club 😀

Seggons
    Free Member

what tyres for an RC ..
    those planes are brilliant!

Mikkel
    Free Member

Found a little video taken from my Extra
    Turn sound down first.

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/11146003[/video]

Alex

Pah don’t want all that noisy stuff:

North Hill – May 2010 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Garway – July 2010 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Mikkel
    Free Member

All my models are electric so noise is not so bad (if you ignore the 2200kv motors spinning 6×4 props lol)

What glider is the first one?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Here’s my old plane that’s up for sale if anyone’s interested.

Mikkel
    Free Member

I cant stop.

This is among my favourite model to fly, simply because its super cheap to build.
    and cheap meaning less tears when smashing it :0)

Managed to rip half the tail off it when i last flew it by turning rather sharply.

mig 016 by msh_sco, on Flickr

Alex

First one is a Salto. Bit of an animal.. not mine but I do want one.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i got one of these….

http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.php?lang=en&partNo=511

and its awesome!

BUT A BIG BUT!!!!

THE SURFACE NEEDS TO BE PERFECT FLAT AND SMOOTH TO HAVE FUN!

id get a buggy next time.

i found a local track here in innsbruck so will be collecting mine in march when im back 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Pilot error, pushing the stick up whilst inverted

You mean pulling back on the stick, shirley?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

What are these? They look interesting:

Mikkel
    Free Member

Mig-29 build after the rcpowers plans.
    Thrust vectoring pusher prop.
    Build from 6mm depron

Rcpowers video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6phRRghkwM

Amazingly fun to fly

Mikkel
    Free Member

Girlfriend have just said she is following this thread, to make sure i don’t buy anymore planes.

aracer
    Free Member

the T-Rex 450 is indeed a good step up from a co-ax, although a totally different beast to fly; there are cheaper models at that size as well.

be aware though that the 450 size helis will need a room the size of a church hall to fly in indoors; they are also big enough to fly outdoors on a calm day

I disagree – far better going to a FP if you’ve only flown co-ax – the learning curve is a little less steep, and you don’t have to worry about all the setup stuff. You should be able to fly a 450 outside on a far less than calm day – I can fly my tiny 4#6S outside even when not completely calm.

I note you did mention some other options – out of those the SR120 would be my choice as it’s FP, but then personally I’d pick a Walkera with a 3-axis gyro over that (the gyro helps a lot with the stability) – eg the 4#6S I have, or the flybarless V120D01. That’s if you want something small enough that you can fly inside in a normal room and also fly outside. Then again, if you are happy with the next step being something to fly inside, an MSR or a Nine Eagles Solo Pro as they have a 45 degree flybar which makes them inherently stable, so a lot easier to learn with.

frankyspanky69
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, was just looking at the MSR as it happens. Should be a bit cheaper as I already have the transmitter from the MCX2

Finding it hard to justify the money spent to the other half as you have all probably spotted but if i can get a red MSR to match the MCX2 she probably won’t notice. Lol.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh, and here’s a pic of some of my fleet – mrs aracer bought me the one at the front (fool).

krisabf
    Free Member

I have one of these (Hobao Hyper 8)

With one of these! (rb ws2)

And it’s far far to quick for me. Infact it’s so much quicker than I imagined it to be!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Just over a meter wingspan with a SC .52 enginge in her…

organic355
    Free Member

hows that helicopter flying upside-down? i didn’t think that was possible?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Oh, and that spitfire up there is lovely. I’d love to do something like that if I had the time (and patience).

Brainflex

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The original poster has certainly got the best pics by far! The others are just all a bit too serious where as that one is just an RC car being played with.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

hows that helicopter flying upside-down? i didn’t think that was possible?

AFAIK, RC helicopters can fly upside down ,when real ones can’t. Dunno why…

If I’m right, can someone please explain why? 🙂

I used to race 2WD electric buggies. A Schumacer Fireblade was my last one, some years ago now. That was a bit fast was that, but I’d love to see how they go with modern cells and motors in them…. 🙂

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Lynx was famous for being able to loop the loop, as well as being the fastest production helicopter. Think that’s changed now (other helos looping and faster)

On an RC helicopter you simply change the pitch of the blades. The blades don’t change direction. There’s no reason a full size helicopter couldn’t be built to do it, but why would you?

aracer
    Free Member

RC helicopters can fly upside down ,when real ones can’t

No reason why you couldn’t with a real one if they were set up to do so – it’s just not a particularly useful thing to do, so they don’t. Not exactly rocket science – you just reverse the pitch on the blades.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘The RC 'it's not a toy' photo thread’ is closed to new replies.