Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The Prodigy (Who Liam sampled)
  • Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

Genius

RIP KF

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

Otherwise known as ‘The Dirtchamber Sessions’ for anyone who doesn’t already own it 😉

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

the point (.) ———————————————————> (13thfloormonk)

Premier Icon trumpton
    Free Member

thanks.

Premier Icon tripsterpete
    Free Member

One of the best mixes of all time.
    My copy got pinched sadly.
    Youtube has a full version but should really buy a hard copy

Premier Icon scud

This is still my favourite Prodigy sampled track:

Premier Icon hot_fiat

Thanks Geex, I’ve a few friends who’ll love this. Back-tracing all those must’ve taken someone a hell of a long time. Inspired me to get out with the dog and listen to some.

FWIW Dirtchamber was a mix by Liam originally for Mary Anne Hobb’s show. Didn’t he mix it in one locked room session?

Premier Icon scud

This one of those tracks i first heard on Dirtchamber Sessions, and then on DJ Shadow mixes, it’s a great track, but one where i’ve never actually been able to pin down why i love it, i think it’s the bass playing:

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

Came across one of this guys Youtube videos a while back.
    thought it was a good time to share (but didn’t want to derail Keith’s thread)
    Yeah. I know all about dirtchamber too.
    13thFM (and anyone else commenting i=on dirtchamber without watching the vids i’ve linked. watch them (or at least one) just to see how genuis Liam’s mind is. It’s insane how he had the vision to turned some of those old tracks into smaples/breakbeats and into the mndblowing tracks he has.
    I don’t have a favourite Prodigy track or sample. Far too difficult to categorise like that.

Yer welcome trupton, hot_flat.
    I was sad enough when Leroy left
    who knows if Liam/Maxim will continue as the Prodigy in any shape or form. I hope they do continue to create together though.

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

@scud. Have a listen to bug powder dust by Bomb the bass also sampled by Liam. it’s not that easy to find the proper version anymore online (or i’d have linked it for you). to me it has similar percussion to the Mexican but way better BASS!
    Agree on “out of space” can’t ever get enough of that!

Premier Icon cynic-al

Did they use any Level 42?

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

Still creepy

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

the point (.) ———————————————————> (13thfloormonk)

Haha, sorry, can’t listen to music at work so didn’t bother opening videos, my post meant as a sort of PSA for anyone who wasn’t aware of the Dirtchamber Sessions, which is nobody as it turns out.

Premier Icon darthpunk
    Free Member

makes me want to scour ebay for an MPC and have at it (you know, without any talent obviously)

Premier Icon fingerbang
    Free Member

the Mexican is a standard hip hop breakbeat. I don’t rate Liam Howlett much and I think Massive attack are better, and more musical, at sampling

plus he married a tool
    and he turned down working with Bowie

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ok Dad

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

one bands music is “better” than anothers?
    hahha.. .this isn’t Wendyball!
    i think you might have missed the point of music and taste somewhat there fingerbang.
    #I love massive attack too BTW.
    Don’t care who Liam married
    and don’t care whether he worked with Bowie or not. Especially when I’ve no idea of the circumstances.
    Lima turned down a lot of work. I’m sure he had his reasons.

Premier Icon TheFlyingOx

90s electronica top trump handbags aside, the vids above remind me of this:

The guy has a few similar videos and whilst they’re not 100% identical it shows how it’s done.

Premier Icon flange
    Free Member

Bug Powder Dust is one of my all time favorite tunes. Plenty of cool remixes about of it too, last I checked it was available on spotify

Premier Icon mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“Don’t care who Liam married”

He called his son Ace… Presumably after Ace Rimmer.

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

got a link to it Flange? The original album “clear” isn’t available offline on spotify as far as I can see.
    I recently re-bought it on CD.
    Used to listen to Clear and Jilted generation back to back (on minidisc I think) in the dark 3 nights a week riding my roadbike back when they were current.

Premier Icon roger_mellie

OP I’m sure you’re aware of this already if you want to disappear down a sampling wormhole 😉

https://www.whosampled.com/

Premier Icon eulach
    Free Member

plus he married a tool
    and he turned down working with Bowie

Didn’t Liam marry Patsy Kensit, who was in a film with Bowie?

Premier Icon eulach
    Free Member

Also
    Huski
    wsl

Premier Icon darksideby182
    Free Member

Cheers for all this.

Premier Icon aweeshoe
    Free Member

Cool, cheers for the heads up 🙂 I’ve lost days down the sampled.com wormhole

Premier Icon trap6
    Free Member

Geex
    Thanks for that.
    Nice too see you ‘mix’it up with the haters😀

Premier Icon Riksbar
    Free Member

The original dirtchamber session, the Breezeblock mix.

From the Mary Anne Hobbs show.

Premier Icon Northwind

Cheers, I love this stuff. Like, I’m a massive Dust Junkys fan but pretty much the only thing anyone would ever recognise of theirs is

Which ended up being one of the most recognisable widely played samples of the decade. And it was a random B-side that even fans pretty much forgot.I kind of get how you write a conventional song but I just can’t comprehend how someone gathers up and chooses samples from essentially every song in the world, mutates it and builds something new out of it, it’s just mindboggling. Like “this’d sound epic if I reversed it and played it at 1/3d the normal speed”, who even thinks that?

Premier Icon downhillfast
    Free Member

Years ago I got a few of the series of “Sampled” CD’s, contains the original songs sampled by various (mainly electronic/dance) artists. “Chase the Devil” by Max Romeo is on there (sample appears on “Out Of Space” by the Prodigy), amongst lots of other interesting sampled tracks.

Sampled https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000506E8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pFeGCb5SZ99JR

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

Northwind I loved the dust Junkys aswell. Did you see them in the Glasgow Cathouse BITD (97?) just before they released “done and dusted” album. There couldn’t have been much more than 50 of us there.
    Have always loved music full of samples and live backdrops with film cuts. from early hip hop/New newwave/romantic/electro to Goth/Punk/Newbeat/industrial and into Techno, dance and experimental ambient/**** up shit.

Premier Icon stanfree
    Free Member

Good post Geex , just downloaded the Breezeblock mix to my phone. Mary Ann Hobbs sounds way less annoying back then. Liam is a genius and with Leroy , Maxim adn Keith creating pretty much one of the best live bands , that was there to see even in the old skool rave days. Really cant see the Prodigy continuing without Keith sadly , It would be like the Beasties with just Ad Rock and Mike D just not the same sadly.
    On the subject of samples the real kings were bands like Public Enemy and De La Soul in my opinion , also love the old Clash samples on both M.I.A and Beats international. All good stuff , amyhoo Rest In Peace Keith and see you manana Geex….

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

Been trying to think which songs I first heard that had samples… I’m thinking it was probably Adam and the Antz “Catholic day” from dirk wears white sox album. Ok. not what we think of today as samples but recordings played as part of the backing track.

Yeah. That clash riff is awesome.

Premier Icon Northwind

geex

Northwind I loved the dust Junkys aswell. Did you see them in the Glasgow Cathouse BITD (97?) just before they released “done and dusted” album. There couldn’t have been much more than 50 of us there.

Nah but saw them in the venue, might have been the same tour? Someone stole the boy from Bullyrag’s hat.

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

hmm… mibbie not. It was just the dust Junkys on their own.
    I saw them a few times, that just stood out because it was so empty (but really good for it)

Premier Icon Northwind

That was the only time I saw them back them- one of my first gigs! They’re still mint on the reform shows mind, Sam and OJ got bloody awesome and they got Sam’s dad up on stage to play trumpet, he’s like “well I played with Joplin and Hendrix but obviously this is the career highlight, playing alongside Tunes the angry potato, ffs”

Premier Icon geex
    Free Member

Haha 🙂

Premier Icon aphex_2k
    Free Member

Liam did a wicked podcast with Scroobius Pip a couple of months back. Also well worth a listen.

Premier Icon choppersquad
    Free Member

That Jim Pavloff video is great.
    I’d love to have the talent to do stuff like that.
    Hours of fun.

Premier Icon retro83
    Free Member

aphex_2k

Liam did a wicked podcast with Scroobius Pip a couple of months back. Also well worth a listen.

Thanks, I’m an hour in…this is great – well worth a listen for any prodge fans.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘The Prodigy (Who Liam sampled)’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.