Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The process works by infusing water with volts of electricity
  • doris5000

this was in the newsletter from the sustainability team today. I’ve removed the link so it doesn’t look like I’m spamming for some random company.

Cleaning Services are trialling a sustainable cleaning product which is made solely of water [website link available on request]. The process works by infusing water with volts of electricity, converting the oxygen in the water from O2 to O3 and thereby creating a highly effective cleaning solution. If the trial is successful, CLEANY MCCLEAN, Head of Cleaning Services has pledged to use the product at her own home. Watch this space.

Anyone heard of this??

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

There’s only one oxygen atom in water.

H2O.

Two hydrogen atoms.

Not sure what volts of electricity are sand how you infuse them. But I expect the process involves copious amounts of bull excrement.

wwaswas

CLEANY MCCLEAN Head of Cleaning Services

chinny.

mashr

chinny.

I believe the OP has redacted certain details

paton
    Free Member

ozone

sharkey
    Free Member

You can make hydrogen peroxide by electrolysing water (and dissolved oxygen from the air)
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1017588221369

You can also create ozone (o3)

Either would be effective at disinfection, not sure they’d be much use for “cleaning” i.e. removing dirt/grease.

doris5000

yeah for GDPR reasons I omitted her name. She’s actually called Marigold Bogbrush

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I don’t think they entirely understand the process but it’s just ozone – O³ – from O². Not new. Iirc does show some promise in eliminating some bacteria etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oxygen can clean things. It’s how Vanish works – it’s Sodium Perborate and it releases oxygen into the water. So it could be.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can make hydrogen peroxide by electrolysing water (and dissolved oxygen from the air)
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1017588221369

You can also create ozone (o3)

Either would be effective at disinfection, not sure they’d be much use for “cleaning” i.e. removing dirt/grease.

This +1

Although I think there’s a bit of information missing, it’s supposed to be salt water?

It’s used on a massive scale for things like the cooling water loops at power stations and refineries which tend to fill up with crustaceans if left to their own devices.

It’s basically a very dilute bleach solution, but produced in-situ and turns back into salt water once it’s finished.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I believe Thames Water used an ozone plant to sterilise water.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

not sure they’d be much use for “cleaning” i.e. removing dirt/grease.

It’s supposed to be pretty good at removing organic dirt, doesn’t work so well on oil/grease. Although I think that’s partly because the ozone is more stable in colder water, but colder water isn’t somgood at removing oil and grease.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Volts into water is electrolysis -> H and oxygen.

Putting something into highly arearated water is pretty much ultra sonic cleaning.

Creating ozone and holding it in solution within the water?

nick1962
    Free Member

Our cleaner (classic STW humblebrag) makes her own “green” cleaning solution with hydrogen peroxide.She was shocked when I explained to her that it can be used as a precursor in bomb making and that anyone buying large quantities is now probably being eavesdropped on by GCHQ.
    https://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/Using_Hydrogen_Peroxide_for_Cleaning

molgrips
    Free Member

Volts into water is electrolysis -> H and oxygen.

Yes, and free oxygen is a cleaning agent.

benv
    Free Member

Yes, seen this or something similar before that uses salt water. Used by FM companies in schools, hospitals, airports etc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hot tubs have an ozonator (O3) in them for disinfection purposes.

Scapegoat

which tend to fill up with crustaceans if left to their own devices.

worst job I ever had………

Northwind

I think the only process that really works by infusing water with volts of electricity, is accidental death in the bath

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Dammit. I infused water with currants instead of volts and made a fruity mess.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Salt water make some more sense.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Our cleaner (classic STW humblebrag) makes her own “green” cleaning solution with hydrogen peroxide.She was shocked when I explained to her that it can be used as a precursor in bomb making and that anyone buying large quantities is now probably being eavesdropped on by GCHQ

slowoldman

I believe Thames Water used an ozone plant to sterilise water.

It’s commonly used for small scale disinfection – e.g. spring water supplies. Easier and safer for Joe Public to look after than chlorine.

mattyfez

They’ll be putting dihydrogren monoxide in our drinks next.

Slippery slope.

alexpalacefan

Lobsterisimus bumicisimus.
    APF

maxtorque

“Salt water make some more sense”

Well if you want to make, and then die from inhaling, Chlorine gas i’d agree…. 😉

I_did_dab
    Free Member

““Salt water make some more sense” Well if you want to make, and then die from inhaling, Chlorine gas i’d agree”

My son (revising for chemistry GCSE) asked about this and it’s not that simple. Electrolysis of relatively dilute NaCl solutions gives both Cl2 and O2 as they have similar reduction potentials. Concentrated solutions give more Cl2.
    I had to look it up.

onehundredthidiot

It’s supposed to be pretty good at removing organic dirt, doesn’t work so well on oil/grease.

Every chemist’s toes curl at this statement. Organic chemistry is the study of carbon compounds literally oil and grease are the foundation.

slowoldman

worst job I ever had………

She had a huge bum…

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Every chemist’s toes curl at this statement. Organic chemistry is the study of carbon compounds literally oil and grease are the foundation.

Here we go again – but everything is a chemical.

I’d agree with you except a) a chemist said it and b) it is quite difficult to distinguish between oil and grease stains and the other types of organic soils, except I suppose you could say organic soils except for oil and grease based ones, which is more or less what he said. He never said oil and grease weren’t organic, he just said it didn’t work that well on them……..

onehundredthidiot

TBF the hole thread makes my scalp itch.

TheFlyingOx

Well if you want to make, and then die from inhaling, Chlorine gas i’d agree….

Not quite. The chlorine created is immediate dissolved, creating NaClO – Sodium Hypochlorite – and H2. We use this exact process for killing bugs and shellfish in seawater systems offshore. If there’s anything dangerous created in the process it’s the hydrogen gas which we have to vent to safe spaces.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘The process works by infusing water with volts of electricity’ is closed to new replies.