Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • the price of things? (grumpy old man).
  • ton

just been looking at goods on the fresh Friday thing.

some weeks I look on there and think to myself that I am missing something.
    I have always liked bikes and bikes stuff, and have spent a lot of cash over the years. but I look on there sometimes and I feel like the bike trade are proper taking the piss.

this week alone, £700 rims. a 4.5k bike and 150 quid helmets.
    now even tho I am loaded and can spend what I want on bikes and bits, I feel these type of products are pretty ridiculous.

am I alone in thinking this?

tomhoward

How much should they charge?

richmars

No, not alone. But the price is what some people will pay.

Bez

I’m a keen observer of diminishing returns too, but let’s face it, it’s not like there isn’t plenty of much cheaper stuff out there, and for the most part the cheap stuff just keeps getting better. So if people want to spunk stupid money on bits, I say let them, they’re the ones driving the trickle-down.

richmars

How much?

The cost to make it plus a reasonable amount (10-20%) of profit.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Never understood why a 25mm road tyre costs £55 when I can get one for my XC90 for £105, makes no sense to me.

ton

when I look at stuff now it seems like everything has gone up by 50% in a couple of years.

teethgrinder

I couldn’t pay £700 on a single rim even if I could afford it – there are rims that will be 98% as good, aluminium and £70. And I’ve seen a few carbon rims dying from JRS (OK, not JRA but not doing anything we haven’t done hundreds of times before on alloy rims.

£4.5k on a bike…meh. It’s a good spec, but even so it’s a grand less than my HB160 was.

£150 on a lid…meh. PPE innit

nickc

Tailwagger I bet if you gave it a bit of thought, you could work out why though, it’s not massively complex market economy

Some stuff has always been expensive, and there’s always been a cheaper version.

ton

£700 buys me 3 sets of handbuilt wheels from Spa cycles. they last me a very long time.

tomhoward

The cost to make it plus a reasonable amount (10-20%) of profit

Just the cost of materials or all the costs, marketing, rent, legal etc?

As I imagine that’s not far off what each link of the chain is doing.

Thing is, there are often 3 links. Manufacturer, distributor and retailer.

kayak23

Never understood why a 25mm road tyre costs £55 when I can get one for my XC90 for £105, makes no sense to me.

Economies of scale innit fam.

tomd
    Free Member

That has very little to do with price of most retail goods. The kind of extreme example is take a bottle of mineral water. What could you sell that for to a man drifting on a life raft about to die of thirst? What could you sell it for in Tesco when people have potable water at home? The bottle of water cost the same to make, but the price could be anywhere from £100000+ to £0.45.

On a less extreme scale, what a bike tyre and car tyre cost to make matters very little. One is going to be purchased to boost someone’s hobby, where they want all the marginal gains on their cafe run. The other on a dismal trading estate when your car fails its MOT.

ampthill

To me this is too separate questions

Have things gone up? I think things have gone up. Usual story of a weak pound. Plus the loss of some grey market stuff. I’m thinking maybe forks. But overall there is still plenty of good value stuff out there

But I’m with Ton all the way on what the cycling media focus on. £700 rims would be a classic example. I’m coming into a time in my life when I could spend what I like on a bike. But it’s going to get muddy and dropped on Rocks. If not I might be nicked. I don’t see that it’s going to be that much better. I have demoed a few flash bits of kit. They didn’t seem that amazing

An article on where to buy say Novatech hubs and which one for which job would be priceless

cogwomble
    Free Member

And then you can go and buy a really nicely spec’d hardtail for a grand, that’s dripping with lovely bits that you can ride hard as hell, out the box.

We need the really expensive stuff, and the “industry” needs to push it, because it’s that bleeding edge high profit stuff, and the boutique stuff that means people try really hard to compete with the stuff everyone wants in the mags, but at a lower price point.

Yeah, there’s a lot of really insane price stuff out there, but that’s sort of always been the case, it’s just better stuff you can get for the same money now.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bike media have always pimped overpriced gear, it’s part of their Faustian pact with the industry.

Only a few mugs will actually buy the stuff you’ve highlighted at RRP.

hatter

You can buy a bike tyre for £14.99 that will be roughly the equivilent of your £100 car tyre

£60 bike tyres are closer to high-end racing tyres, which are £500 a pop and last half a race.

High end, relatively low volume, loads of differnt casings and widths and tread options mean huge investment in tooling for relatively low volume production. andf therefore higher prices.

In 1997 when I started riding a IRC Missle (The hard riding trail/DH tyre of choice at the time) cost £34.99, they were TERRRIBLE and, adjusted for inflation, they cost £62.18 in today’s money.

If making high end bike tyres was easy money we’d see a hundred little indie direct to consumer tyre brands springing up, the fact we’re not suggests that it’s a little tougher than some are making out.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m with you! Was browsing in the LBS the other day and was properly shocked to see Maxxis tyres for £75! It was explained to me that these were the all-singing, all-dancing Exo+ blah blah. I’d known for a while that RRP was north of £50, but hadn’t realised it had got that expensive. That’s only about £30 cheaper than the premium brand tyres I stick on my car and last a couple of years, unlike bike tyres which I’m lucky to get 6 months out of…

…and then Hope stuff. I’m lucky enough to get mates rates on stuff like headsets and BBs. In my head they’re £50ish, but I’ve been pricing up a new build and its suddenly now all £75, which is still marginally cheaper than on line as it includes fitting, and is a good chunk less than RRP (when did £95 for a Hope BB happen?)

…and none of this is esoteric stuff!

I know my wages haven’t gone up by 50% to match… (and I know the guys selling the stuff aren’t rolling in cash either)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Because companies tend to cash in on the latest trends, like MAMILs trying to regain their youth by cycling, who often have the disposable income to splash out on nice new toys. 😉

Me? I stick things on an ever growing wish list until I need them or they get offered at relative bargain prices! 😆

Oh and Brexitflation.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hatter – You make a good argument, but I think most clued-up riders would agree Maxxis have waaaaaaay too many variants in their product range.

I’m sure many of us could do a better job than their product managers of deciding which tread patterns, carcasses & compounds people will actually want and/or need.

Meanwhile you can get awesome Schwalbe tyres from Germany for £35 a pop and don’t have to wade through hundreds of variants to find the one you want.

lawman91

Prices have skyrocketed in the last 10 years. Bought my Mojo HD in 2011 and it was £2k, latest equivalent HD5 is £3K, so 50% more. I was looking at Commencal Meta’s around 2008/2009 and for well under £2k you got a cracking spec and you got it from a shop, nowadays a shop bought bike with components worth keeping is easily £3k… Working in the trade has it’s benefits, but the price of things is still ludicrous.

chakaping
    Free Member

Never understood why a 25mm road tyre costs £55 when I can get one for my XC90 for £105

It’s more interesting that Maxxis motorbike tyres seem to be a similar price to their MTB ones.

faustus

Prices have definitely gone up, and ST has also gone upmarket with it’s goods/reviews. I also think it’s insanity having waterproof jackets starting at £150, and helmets too. But i understand that the cheaper stuff is getting better, and I get the cheaper stuff. Also, seasoned (i.e. OLD ;-)) riders are more likely to be jaded around MTB trends, myself included!

nedrapier

I found this the other day in a clearout. Year 2000 LBS insurance valuation of a 1999 spec bike I’d just bought 2nd hand.

What’s remarkable is how unremarkable almost everything is cost wise in today’s terms, after 20 years of inflation and tech improvements.

Everything is now better, obviously, especially brakes and forks.

The frame’s still gert lush, being ridden regularly, and the BB (one thing that’s not better these days!) and rear mech are on the everyday commuter/errand bike. The computor is in a drawer somewhere.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, we’ve never had it so good – if we’re prepared to do a bit of shopping around.

matt_outandabout

am I alone in thinking this?

Nope.

MTB = the new golf. Fashion is the driver of costs in this sport imo.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

To be honest when I first started MTbiking in late 80s you could hardly buy a cycle helmet much under £100 now you have much more choice and way cheaper swings and roundabouts mind you have a point about the Friday goods I always wonder how much they ever sell when they want £100 for a multi-tool or £50 for a set of grips???

petercook80
    Free Member

I love it when people complain about the price of a top end component (what ever it may be) – “I was shocked at the price of xxxxx ” etc….  well if you are shocked dont buy it , buy something cheaper, it possibly wont be as good (but more than likely plenty good enough, depending how cheap you go, just remember Light , Cheap , Strong pick two….) Also dont go comparing a bike component with a car component – thats a pointless exercise really – different industry, different economics.

As mountain bikers we are I feel in a very special time – we have some incredible high end stuff that performs really really well and some incredible value stuff that also performs really really well (and lots in between) enough choice to keep everyone happy – if you cant afford the high end stuff dont complain there is plenty of great affordable stuff. I cant afford a 50k car but why would I complain as my 5k 2nd hand Hyundai does a really good job.

IdleJon

this week alone, £700 rims. a 4.5k bike and 150 quid helmets.

That Orbea is available in a different spec from £2000 upwards. It’s a decent spec alloy bike, as well. (To compare, I first spent a £1000 on a MTB – a front sus alu – back in 97 or 98. It wasn’t remotely top spec even then.)

And of course bike companies send high level bikes to mags. Do car mags review entry level cars? Do people aspire to owning Tesco furniture? If you’re foolish you actually believe that everyone is riding around on these things. Or driving around, sitting around.. 😀

ton

To be honest when I first started MTbiking in late 80s you could hardly buy a cycle helmet much under £100

you must be having a laugh.
    my lycra covered polystyrene thing cost about a tenner.

IdleJon

you must be having a laugh.
    my lycra covered polystyrene thing cost about a tenner

They (Bell) have a graphic in their sales literature projecting that average helmet prices will drop in 1996 to $15, down from $21 in 1995. Bell’s opinion: “If somebody doesn’t do something quick, helmets will end up like water bottles: cheap commodity items.”

From https://helmets.org/helmet96.htm a report on helmets in the 96 season.

And an ad in MBUK in 2002 – we have a box of them out in the warehouse – shows Noah’s Ark selling Spesh helmets from £25 for an Air Wave to £70 for an M1.

nickfrog
    Free Member

MTB = the new golf. Fashion is the driver of costs in this sport imo.

I don’t understand this. MTB is not new. I have been getting to the trails alongside a Golf club since the 1990s.

I have been building bikes for 20 years and components have never been so cheap despite the weak sterling and inflation.

But the big difference is that the finished article will be a far better,more competent, more reliable, safer and more fun bike now than in the past.
    Fashion in cycling didn’t start last Tuesday either. Actually fashion is a very good driver for low prices, it really helps lower the cost of parts that are not fashionable this week.

edlong
    Free Member

oops

tomhoward

I don’t understand this.

Golfists are bored of golf, not unreasonably, and are looking for a new hobby. Lots pick MTBing, and some brands have seen this and set the pricing of their wares accordingly. See also that plenty of ‘urban’ golf courses are being turned into trail centres, or plans are submitted to that effect.

mick_r

I’m more annoyed by the misinformation in FGF. “Shimano’s 4 piston brake technology has trickled down to SLX”

But what is rarely mentioned is that Shimano very quietly launched very good 4 piston brakes right down to Acera / Alivio level. The Germans will sell you a complete f & r set for under £100!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m more annoyed by the misinformation in FGF. “Shimano’s 4 piston brake technology has trickled down to SLX”

Ignorance rather than deliberate misinformation.

But then I’m a bit of a geek and I thought it only went down to Deore. Got a link to the lower brakesets?

dovebiker

Easy to tell anyone who hasn’t been in business making stuff:

Seriously, if you’re making stuff and not making 50% gross margin then you’re barely going to break even / probably not going to stay in business long.

Bike part costs $10 in materials and labour in Chinese factory
    Bike part is sold to bike brand for $20
    Bike brand sells part for $50 / £30 to UK distributor (shipping + duty added)
    Distributor sells bike part for £60 to UK bike shop
    Bike shops retails part for £144 (VAT included)

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers, every day ist ein schultag, eh?

mick_r

🙂 must admit I only stumbled on them last week. Tempted to try a set but rest of family is kind of standardised on 2pot and think (but not 100%) it means keeping stock of another shape of pad. Already annoyed that the newer road stuff has subtly changed from the regular mtb pad.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘the price of things? (grumpy old man).’ is closed to new replies.