The price of new kit

Home Forum Bike Forum The price of new kit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • The price of new kit
  • Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

The price of suspension forks is staggering.

butterbean

It isn’t compulsory to buy the most expensive stuff.

There is kit to cover most budgets for ‘serious’ riders.

Edric 64

Not just you .I would like a new hardtail but you look at the specs and its a good 1500 quid for something thats got goodish wheels and forks

ChunkyMTB

Yep. So I go my own route. My latest carbon HT frame is direct from China. Most of the other bits are nearly new stuff off the classifieds on here. And my own ghetto xx1 type set up,, XT clutch mech and wolftooth chainring. A fraction of what Scott or Cannondale, SRAM, etc would charge me.

lemonysam

The price of suspension forks is staggering.

But almost no one buys them aftermarket.

b r

I can honestly imagine a time when I’ll have to give it up.

And take up what?

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Whenever I flick through a magazine I am staggered by the price of some stuff (forks and cassettes recently) but nobody I know buys that stuff. You can get a good full suss for a little over £1k and the last thing I bought was a dropper post for £57.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

And take up what?

Dunno. Probably the road bike because components last longer.

Edric 64

1k full suss ,where please?

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

No, not just you.
    I get upset at the rip off pricing these days and have said so on here regularly.
    There’ll be a bunch of smuggists on shortly bragging that they don’t have a problem.

Get the impression that the manufacturers have realised that cycling is now an aspirational activity and are pricing stuff accordingly.
    I’m close to jacking it in tbh.
    I’m obviously not the target market anymore.

Motorcycling went the same way years ago.

Subscriber

Get the impression that the manufacturers have realised that cycling is now an aspirational activity and are pricing stuff accordingly.

True. I don’t even look at the new bikes in the LBS anymore when I’m taking mine in to be patched up. Again. Yet I bet they sell a few £3k full sussers to people who get them just to be ornaments on the top of the BMW.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

1k full suss ,where please?

I did say a little over. This has X9 and Sektors for £1099
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-92-mountain-bike-white-id_8208373.html

.. or X7 and Recons for a penny less than £800
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-91-2013-mountain-bike-black-id_8213074.html

Jamie

I have found the trick is to have as few gears as possible, and no suspension.

Oh, and have a road bike. My Defy 2, before I sold it for what I paid for it secondhand, did 6/7000 miles on a couple of sets of tyres and only had the chainset/cassette/chain/jockey wheels replaced. Which cost £100-ish for new Tiagra.

…but, one can do quite nicely hoovering up all the cast offs from those who buy a spanky new bike because it fits their aspirational lifestyle….then get rid because they realise it needs to be pedalled.

Edric 64

They look good for the money !

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

1992 Ringle Seat anodised alloy QR skewer £35

To get something “as good” as a 90s part it’s far cheaper. Yes, you could spend £800 on a pair of forks but to out perform my £300 Mag 20s you could buy a pair of £150 recon silvers. Half the price with 20 years inflation to further reduce the cost.

allthepies

There are always deals on, you’ve just got to keep your eyes open 🙂

warpcow

There’re plenty of good bikes for around £500. The difference nowadays is that there are more bikes available for £1000s, and more people willing to pay for them compared to the 90s.

+ what johnny said.

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Top end pricing has gone bonkers. What has changed is that the low end stuff is now often better than the top end stuff of old. Decent bikes can be built on the same sorts of budgets, they just won’t have the top end branding.

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

But almost no one buys them aftermarket at full retail price

FTFY

Subscriber

Good point. The best deals are with the likes of Decathlon and Halfords or old stock shifters like Pauls. Or go the second had route.

Where are the LBS going to be when all the rich kids are buying the next big thing?

[edit]They will go the way of other independent high street shops who get steam rollered by the supermarkets and moan when nobody buys from them anymore.[/edit]

micky

The best stuff is not always the most expensive. You can still get good deals second hand. Tracking down the parts cheaply is part of the fun for me. Some of the old stuff is still better than the new stuff anyway. How much difference is there really between for example the old hope minis and the new hope tech. (I do have both by the way) you can still take old stuff and adapt/re-engineer it to make it lighter. When you have the experiance of knowing whats good and whats not then MTB can be a very cheap sport.

bazwaldo

I have been buying bits and pieces from sales/deals for years. I reckon the best idea is to buy a good frame from last years stock for about £800. Then swap all the bits from the old frame over and replace when they wear out…then when the frame is knackered do the same again. I couldn’t possibly buy a new 3k full suss but this seems to work for me.

Premier Icon oxym0r0n
    Subscriber

Shop around, keep it simple, upgrade slowly, save up, buy second hand etc.

My el Mariachi cost me <£400 to build with swapping bits off old bike/selling old frame. It weighs ~20lb running crests/Thomson/magura/Chris king…

No fandangled suspension or gears but heaps of fun – I’m not leaving any time soon just riding harder

Pieface

But as long as people are willing to pay for diminishing returns it will continue to be so

Subscriber

Does anyone else feel like they are being priced out of the game?

I’ve had nice, but not expensive kit since I started riding bikes back in the early 90s. Looking at the cost of things I can honestly imagine a time when I’ll have to give it up.

Anyone else feel this way or is it just me being a tight arse?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I don’t remember the last time I bought anything at rrp, and my main bike has (I think) only 4 parts on it that were bought new… But someone’s got to buy it so I can buy it off them 😉

Edric 64

I have been buying bits and pieces from sales/deals for years. I reckon the best idea is to buy a good frame from last years stock for about £800

I would struggle to spend 800 quid on the whole bike never mind the frame

Premier Icon GHill
    Subscriber

Have you seen how good Deore is these days?

Some bonkers prices if you want ‘the best’ though.

Edric 64

My Deore brakes are 9 years old and work fine

Premier Icon transporter13
    Subscriber

Always use deore kit. Lasts longer than high end kit anyway.
    I never bother with the most expensive forks and shocks either as I set them up once and that’s it. I prefer to buy stuff that works and is easy to service. Rather spend my time riding than having to send stuff away for service

DickBarton

I think the cost is stupidly high…annoyingly, MTBing seems to be filled with a disproportionate amount of stupid people as they ‘happily’ pay the price…so manufacturers are happy to keep charging it!

I had a ‘chat’ on Twitter with STW when they posted up something about a bike that cost stupid amounts of money…it stopped pretty quickly after I asked them when the last time they paid full price for a piece of kit was…

It is expensive, it isn’t a niche any more so the high cost isn’t just covering R&D…it is expensive as we, the buying MTBers seem happy to keep paying the high prices. Saying that, they are costs that need covered so I don’t think they are taking the complete Michael but it isn’t far off.

Price of raw materials has dropped but hasn’t been reflected in cost savings to punter, but then we are now ‘used’ to these prices.

fr0sty125

Considering how good the equipment is these days I don’t think it is that bad. e.g.
    Set of Deore brakes for £90
    Full SLX groupset for £350
    RS 2013 Sektor RL £225
    Set of Hope hoops for £250
    Bikes like Boardman FS and Canyon Nerve for about a grand

Subscriber

Bikes like Boardman FS and Canyon Nerve for about a grand

One from a supermarket, one from an on line company.

fr0sty125

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    One from a supermarket, one from an on line company.

And? It’s great kit at a great price.

mudmonster

The price of chain guides is pretty silly as well.

Klunk

price of consumables is the killer, fork seals up from £14 to £24 low friction my arse!

Entonox

You can get a 2014 10spd clutch mech-ed Deore groupset from Merlin including brakes and rotors for £275. That’s nuts condsidering how good it is.
    3% cashback too from topcashback.

Subscriber

And? It’s great kit at a great price.

I have no problem with it, but see my comment about Tesco wiping out the high street.

If I ever buy a new bike it won’t be from my LBS, it’ll be from Pauls, or Canyon or Halfords and it makes me sad. I know that prices are fixed by the manufacturer/distributor, but when “Mr Must Have” has moved on who will the LBS sell to?

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

I know that prices are fixed by the manufacturer/distributor

You should hear the complaints distributors get from their customers get about not controlling prices. Good products, product management and reliable distribution channels keep values and RRPs up but the market decides in the end, and there’s plenty of grey import channels or EU sellers.

I don’t see how £1000-1500 worth of MTB has significantly declined in VFM in 20 years of riding and I don’t see much need to spend more. 2k maybe. What’s changed is a bit of exchange rate decline and mainly that some are willing to spend daft sums on really top-end kit. Maybe that’s changing perceptions of what ‘good kit’ is, but the top-end stuff’s surely not needed by anyone but the committed racers or all weathers, 20hrs+ a week lot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘The price of new kit’ is closed to new replies.