Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The perfect storm- explain this to me
  • hora
    Free Member

Apparently conditions will be right for this this week.

Actual Experts, internet jocks and TJ please explain/discuss.

Drac

It’s just a media phrase for some stormy conditions, makes it sound all dramatic so people panic buy, post pictures of a tree fallen over on internet forums and most other people carry on as normal.

trailmonkey

i think i just rode home through it.

pretty wild down here in the peninsula.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can only give you a quiet storm
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCPRTY6p6E[/video]

Drac

Oh and if it’s in the South or Scotland then it’ll make the news,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bondi, yesterday

Now THAT’s a storm.

druidh
    Free Member

We’ve been promised ThunderSnow this week!!

Drac

That’s excellent Cap’n.

Oooh Thundersnotorm.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Medja gharbidge” for Autumn Storms (all be it a bit late)

Looking forward to some solid swell and 4mtr weather here on the blustery SarfCarst.

markenduro
    Free Member

high spring tides and low pressure = storm surge, see 1950s East UK and the low countries here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1953

CountZero

Perfect storm? Nah. The term was coined in the book of the same name to describe a storm where, IIRC, two large storm fronts combined to create almost unprecedented contitions. This is just a big low pressure area followed straight after by a second one. Get yer kites out, take advantage.

Woody
    Free Member

Perfect Storm?

Ah, George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg at their finest…….really!

boxelder

The storms we get/are getting are depressions (cyclonic). They start across the other side of the Atlantic as waves on the Polar Front (where cold air from the north meets warmer air from the south).
    The coriolis force causes it all to spin anticlockwise, with the warmer air rising up the warm front and being forced to rise up the cold front. This rising air causes low pressure (which becomes the centre of the storm), and cloud and precipitation along the fronts. Air rushes into the centre of low pressure, giving strong winds. As this happens, the fronts meet at ground level to become occluded and the storm dies out.
    Perfect storm = well defined fronts, rapid convection (driven by the PF Jet stream), giving very low air pressure in the centre 950mbish, strong winds and sudden, torrential precipitation.
    storms ahead (occluded)

mike_p
    Free Member

high spring tides and low pressure = storm surge, see 1950s East UK and the low countries here:

Spring tides have just passed and weren’t perigean and the low is moving in the wrong direction to cause much of a flood, if any. But apart from that… 3/10

epicyclo

I sat on my patio in North Queensland when a Cat 5 cyclone passed over. Just shifted ourselves around to the other side when the eye passed over us.

Really quite eery, but highly entertaining watching anything not tied down go flying.

There’s a lot to be said for a properly engineered house. 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

The storms we get/are getting are depressions (cyclonic). They start across the other side of the Atlantic as waves on the Polar Front (where cold air from the north meets warmer air from the south).
    The coriolis force causes it all to spin anticlockwise, with the warmer air rising up the warm front and being forced to rise up the cold front. This rising air causes low pressure (which becomes the centre of the storm), and cloud and precipitation along the fronts. Air rushes into the centre of low pressure, giving strong winds. As this happens, the fronts meet at ground level to become occluded and the storm dies out.

…or it could be one of these.

singletrackmind

Perfect storm = well defined fronts, rapid convection (driven by the PF Jet stream), giving very low air pressure in the centre 950mbish, strong winds and sudden, torrential precipitation.

The center of the low as it tracks across Scotchland will be C950mb.
    According to XC weather Pressure Map
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast
    Click PRESSURE Tue 1500

maccruiskeen

We’ve been promised ThunderSnow this week!!

Had a bit of that last week in Ayrshire, it was nice

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

CFH, Coogee beach (Sydney) in a Perfect Sand Storm

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Awesome! Forgot to credit the rather excellent Aquabumps for my pic.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The perfect storm- explain this to me’ is closed to new replies.