• This topic has 136 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by yoda.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • The perception of "Cool"
  • D0NK

Marin – for people with beards who speak as if they have blocked noses and know all the specs of all the bikes – beardy brochure whores or do more MTB magazine study than riding.

Hmm not sure about that messiah I always thought marin riders couldn't give a stuff what was on the bike aslong as it got them around – an sfb bike.

Got to be custom to be cool, no first page of the catalogue top of the line ready built bike is cool. You've got to have laboured over every decision of which part to go for. And getting the most expensive of everything and lashing it together doesn't work either gotta be something esoteric in there too. Custom frame helps too but doesn't guarantee cool eg I personally don't think jones are cool.

But cool is soooo subjective.

GW
    Free Member

bikes are cool. bike companies aren't

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Got to be custom to be cool[/quote

I dunno, I think to 99% of the public those custom frames look unfinished and old-fashioned

kelvin

I want a good bike, not a cool bike.

kelvin

Sorry, I want a GREAT bike, not a cool bike.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I find it really interesting how many people on here come out with comments like "grown men riding push bikes aren't cool". In that statement, heard many times in many threads, is an implicit idea that bikes are kids are adults do serious things. I don't believe we'll ever have a cycling culture if even supposed 'cyclists' come out with this rubbish.

Bikes are cool, FACT.

sputnik
    Free Member

What mansonsoul said.

Bikes and bike companies can be cool, but it's the adventures you have on them and the good memories they provide that make them really cool.

I can't really comment on which bike companies I think are cool, the difficulty is identifying which companies are genuinely cool and which companies have the most money to pay the best marketeers to make them look cool.

Also, "cool" doesn't always equate with "good". I don't necessarily think Specialized is a cool brand (too big, corporate, money driven), but I do think their full-sus bikes are excellent.

IainGillam
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

Iain Gillam – Member

Charge seam like a "cool" brand or at least one that is trying to be

trying to be cool, isn't.

Therein lies my point, they are trying to be cool so they shouldn't be, but they kind of are (at least in my opinion.)

Iain

ooOOoo
    Free Member

it's the adventures you have on them and the good memories they provide that make them really cool.

That's true. But on a mountain in the middle of nowhere you shouldn't be worried about cool. There's no one to see it.

£6000 mountain bikes too pretty to get dirty n' scratched – not cool!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

All my bikes are cool when they have me sat on them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

All my bikes are cool when they have me sat on them.

The cooler bikes are the ones you tend to sit "in" rather than "on"

finbar
    Free Member

The Top Gear cool wall criteria is a good one. Would the fact you ride a Surly and not a Specialized impress Kristen Scott Thomas?

Jamie
    Free Member

To take this further can someone who is uncool make a cool brand uncool by sitting on it?

I am very uncool, so worry I am sullying the coolness of my Dialled PA every time I ride it (badly) 8)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Top Gear cool wall criteria is a good one.

Its Top Gear though, probably the uncoolest programme on TV – unless your a middle aged man who finds Jeremy Clarkson funny.

finbar
    Free Member

So Kristen Scott Thomas would be impressed by your choice of bike then? 🙄

rudedog
    Free Member

Jeremy Clarkson, he is the pied piper of all that is uncool.

nickc

Having scratches in your paintwork is cool. Having a drive train that works flawlessly because you've tuned it, is cool. Making a shop floor gleaming bike hideously filthy is cool. Being overtaken on a DH run and at the bottom finding out it's a girl or a kid is cool. A fantastic view and massive descent after a killer climb is cool. unexpected air, and then landing it, is cool. the sky at night on a frosty night ride in the middle of December is cool. Frosty night rides are just cool anyway. Summer evening rides are cool. a girl admiring your legs on a commute is cool.

Don't matter what the brand name on your bike is…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So Kristen Scott Thomas would be impressed by your choice of bike then?

I dont really know who she is but after a quick look on wiki I gather shes a 50 year old actress whos been in a number of dull films so she's probably not best placed to judge

onewheelgood

This is about the only bike I can think of that would qualify as cool

Saw one yesterday at the Warwick Cycle Races – truly lovely.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

onewheelgood

Yes, the bike is cool. But put anyone, and I mean anyone on one and it instantly becomes a w*nk chariot.

This is the most pointless another pointless thread. Even if everyone on here could agree what was "cool" that would instantly render the agreed thing uncool.

Having said that, if something is uncool enough it might actually be pretty cool………

7hz
    Free Member

Worrying about what brand of bike is cool is seriously uncool.

Pigeon-holing brands and likening them to car brands is uncool.

Fixies and retro bikes look aestheticly pleasing because of the lack of cables (minimalistic), but if you can't ride it up a hill, or like to pose with it outside the local cafe, you are very uncool.

No branding is cool.

Old beater bikes are cool.

Being on a bike, cycling, and enjoying it is cool.

finbar
    Free Member

she's probably not best placed to judge

Exactly, she's (probably) not a cyclist. Which makes her perfectly well-placed to judge. And feel free to replace her with any other fashionable celebrity. I dunno, say, Alexa Chung. She's probably more appropriate outside of Top Gear denim turn-up land.

I think a distinction needs to be drawn between:
    (a) cool to other cyclists; and
    (b) cool to people who are actually cool

nickf
    Free Member

onewheelgood

That looks utterly hideous to me. Everyone to their own, but I'd be embarrassed to own that, let alone ride it. And it's probably silly money anyway, making it even more daft.

Beating the cars and buses through central London is cool. My folding Dahon is cool simply because it looks utterly rubbish but is properly quick. Riding for the hell of it and getting scabby knees
    from falling off is cool. Not taking yourself too seriously is cool.

Spending a pile of cash on a bike then not riding it is extremely uncool, as is fastidiously polishing and fettling every aspect of your bike after every ride.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I think a distinction needs to be drawn between:
    (a) cool to other cyclists

not hard…you can just run one gear ffs

(b) cool to people who are actually cool

almost impossible

finbar
    Free Member

I think we agree oooOOOOooo. This Venn diagram might help some others:

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

The cooler bikes are the ones you tend to sit "in" rather than "on"

like this?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Exactly – he most definitely is a 'dude' and hence cool.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

IMO you cannot buy cool, you either have it, or you ent. However, wanting to be cool is shallow 🙁

yoda
    Free Member

The king of bike cool!

alpin
    Free Member

specialized, trek, cube and almost any other mass produced brand is uncool.

steel frames are cool.

a Cube hardtail is cooler than a Cube FS. generally Hardtails are cooler than FS.

and anyways… having a "cool" bike doesn't mean shit if the person to whom it belongs pushes it up and down the hills.

carbon is very uncool and is a substitute for ride prowess….

Carbon statt Kondition.

grumm
    Free Member

Think finbar pretty much sums it up. 🙂

Also, discounting things that are really good just because they are too popular for your insecure sense of being 'an individual' isn't very cool in my book.

Grapefruit
    Free Member

"This is the most pointless another pointless thread."

Sorry you feel that way dude. You may have misunderstood my intention. I wasn't looking for consensus on what is cool – I appreciate that it's massively subjective. It was just a lighthearted query to try and understand a little of what seems to be a curious facet of MTB culture (and any other sub-culture for that matter). Namely that there are perceptions of what is cool and not cool, as apparent through the many threads I have observed through this and other forums/magazines etc. As such I assumed there may be some kind of cultural resonance of some kind to the query – even if it is a little silly and, clearly not a hardcore enough opinion to express for some.

I thought is might be nice to understand on what basis people tend to decree something – in this case, mountain bike brands – as cool.

See – I've gone and got all serious now, which isn't what I intended at all. Uncool.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I think for a brand to be cool you need:

-Innovative "quality" products
    -A pedigree
    -Passion / a message
    -A smaller more focussed product range helps – otherwise you'll be seen as a jack of all trades-master of none

Cool companies to my mind – Spooky, Dialled, Yeti, Cannondale, Indy Fab (FAT), Nicolai, Turner

UNCOOL companies – Specialized, Marin, Cube, Dawes, Saracen, Boardman ..
    I would have said Trek was bordering on uncool until I saw this …

http://trekmountain.typepad.com/king/2010/08/trek-prototype-meet-the-broadsider.html

Kudos!

yoda
    Free Member

Specialized not cool eh?
    I beg to differ!

and the section in "Dirt" where he's riding on the grass banking next to the dry stone wall? It doesn't get any cooler than that!

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

IIRC Specialized came about when soon goon decided to Rip-Off Tom Ritchey's MTB design, set up mass production in the far east and called it a 'stump-jumper' – for that 'original sin' specialized are forever uncool for me 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does anyone really believe that any successful brand isn't working hard in order to be cool to some of the buying public?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Cool spesh

Grapefruit
    Free Member

Just read my most recent reply again. I may have been being a bit precious there, sorry (find me someone that likes being told their queries are pointless and I'll buy you a kit-kat). As we are discovering, "Coolness" is pretty tricky to tie down (and a possibly redundant concept). I once heard it said that the problem with wondering if you're cool is that –

1 – The only people who can corroborate that for you would have to also be similarly cool
    2 – cool people don't do that sort of thing.
    3 – If you seriously think about your cool status – then you probably aren't.

That said – and returning to a point someone made earlier – I am looking forward to gently taking the mick out of my brother in law who recently bought a lapierre and is soon to be putting some money down on an audi. (I'm just jealous really)

Now, what would go with my peugeot 307? 😀

yoda
    Free Member

oh yes…Tom Ritchey….the epitome of cool…….

…..on which planet? LOl 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘The perception of "Cool"’ is closed to new replies.