Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 'The peak' vs 'the peaks'
  • Superficial
    Free Member

So around here it’s generally frowned upon to call the Peak District ‘the Peaks‘ and the preferred nomenclature is the singular ‘peak’. I know this, but I don’t understand why. Surely there are many peaks?! Any ideas?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s name is the peak, not many peaks in it just a lot of rounded lumps.

scotroutes

Shorthand for The Peak District?

There’s a similar issue with the Cuillin(s) on Skye. There are only two – The Black Cuillin and the Red Cuillin but folk talk about the many peaks on the main (Black) ridge as the Cuillins.

scaredypants

locals always like to have something they can use to sneer at tourists

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Theories as to the derivation of the Peak District name include the idea that it came from the Pecsaetan or peaklanders, an Anglo-Saxon tribe who inhabited the central and northern parts of the area from the 6th century AD when it fell within the large Anglian kingdom of Mercia.[37][38]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_District#History

nickc

It’s named after a prehistoric tribe rather than the hills

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

It isn’t called The Peak District because of the Peaks, it’s named after an Anglo-Saxon Tribe:

The Peak District actually gets its name from the Dark Age, Saxon settlers of the area. The name of the tribe which occupied the Peak 1,000 years ago was the Pecsaetan – the dwellers of the pecs or hills. The name seems to have been first used around 700 AD, to distinguish the hill-dwellers from the Mercians from the surrounding lowlands of the Midland shires.

(Source)

EDIT – Typing at the same time as others it appears!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Basically what mikewsmith and Matt at 18 said. It’s named after a people, it is the district of the Peak people. The best comparison I can think of is Craven District- it’d be like calling it the Cravens. But there are no multiple Cravens.

chakaping
    Free Member

Every day’s a school day.

jekkyl

Was the area inhabited at the same time by a group of negros and a group of Caucasians?

bigrich

antigee

always used The Peak but times change and The Peaks is probably now more common
    and don’t think I’d ever say going to The Lake for the weekend rather than The Lakes
    but of course there is only one lake in The Lakes the rest are all meres

joat

Dark peak and white peak, two peaks, ergo the peaks. If I were to tell someone I was going to the peak, they would probably ask which one. We generally say we’re going to Derbyshire for a walk/bike/weekend away now though, so as not to upset nomenclature worriers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dark peak and white peak, two peaks, ergo the peaks.

Dark side of the Peak District
    White side of the Peak District
    Dark & White referring to the Grit/Limestone split
    One Peak District
    Nothing to do with Peaks

Pook

The Peak. Though I’d we’re doing the whole two tribes thing it should technically be “The Pecs’ ”

joat

mikewsmith – Member
    Dark peak and white peak, two peaks, ergo the peaks.
    Dark side of the Peak District
    White side of the Peak District
    Dark & White referring to the Grit/Limestone split
    One Peak District
    Nothing to do with Peaks

This I know, I was being a bit glib.
    I don’t really care what people call them/it and neither do they, I just like visiting/playing there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Peak. Though I’d we’re doing the whole two tribes thing

Did they go to war?

This I know, I was being a bit glib.

Glib is one thing but if you keep getting it wrong after having you mistake pointed out is just lazy, people struggle with Alnwick until you tell them after that they are just generally being an arse.

slowoldman

The name of the tribe which occupied the Peak 1,000 years ago was the Pecsaetan – the dwellers of the pecs or hills.

…and now a ladies morris side in Sheffield.

joat

You say potato, I say some people are too precious.

TimothyD
    Free Member

It’s not about being precious, it’s about being irritated to an irrational degree, and that’s a massive difference. 😉

I’m glad the consensus seems to be ‘Peak’…but I’ll always say the Peak District so people know where I mean, as it’s inclusive for people who aren’t familiar with the short hand. I briefly knew a South African man, and experimented by saying ‘Peak’, and he didn’t respond until I put ‘District’ on the end so he knew where I was talking about, and then he said how nice it was.

I’ll never correct anybody who says ‘Peaks’ though…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

joat – Member
    You say potato, I say some people are too precious.

Guess your just right Goat

Sandwich

Time for this one again? I remember……

Onzadog
    Free Member

If I use the wrong name, will people not know where I’m going?

nickjb
    Free Member

If it’s named after the resident tribe could you call it the Peak’s?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘'The peak' vs 'the peaks'’ is closed to new replies.