Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • the peak route that everyone does
  • wildrnes
    Free Member

you know edale, jacobs ladder etc
    is there a route guide online anywhere, wales trip is stopped so thought i would do a peaks route instead

porterclough
    Free Member

Do you mean the route in this month’s MBR (copied from the VB book)? It’s on a perforated page if you want to throw the rest of the mag away…

Or just buy the book, it’s easily the best MTB peak district guide.

crazy-legs

The MBR one is (unsurprisingly) the wrong way round!
    The route is in the Vetebrate Graphics book “Dark Peak Mountain Biking” (£15), they call it the Kinder Circuit, it’s known locally here as the Hayfield Round. They also do it the wrong way but mention that it’s just as good the other way. 😉

TBH the only reason it’s ridden clockwise is to make Jacobs Ladder a descent but the whole rest of the cicuit is beter anticlockwise – you just have to put up with the push/carry/ride up Jacobs…

Or give me a shout when you want to do it and I’ll show you some err “add-ons” that won’t be in any guide book. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but the whole rest of the cicuit is beter anticlockwise – you just have to put up with the push/carry/ride up Jacobs…

sez you numpty-boy :o)

nbt

James is wrong. Oaken Clough makes a good descent, but apart from that the best way is down JL then you also go DOWN the sunken road

crazy-legs

James is wrong.

I’m never wrong about riding stuff. Just wrong sometimes in the pub quiz… 😉

wildrnes
    Free Member

ahh cheers folks, didn’t realise it was in this months mbr

problem is i swore i would never ever buy that pile of arse bilge ever again

i am riding tomorrow in the peak with a mate, but we will be starting late, and he isn’t mega brilliant (only riding 6 months, NEVER OWNED a bike before…)

so not too sure what route to do, i really want to do about 20 miles or so , but we won’t be arriving till fairly late (setting off from dewsbury at 10 so more than likely 12 set off)

any hints on a route.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Prefered Route:
    park at Barber booth, go up Jacobs Ladder, fast down towards hayfield, take a right (broad clough) before metal gate on BW descent to Kinder Reservoir, climb cobble path up far side onto moor over hayfield, drop into Hayfield on fast BW, ride through hayfield and head along the river towards Coldwell Clough, steep climb up to Mount Famine before a long down to Roych Clough, ride along BW picking up Rushup Edge, Mam Tor to Hollins Cross then choice of downs back to Hope/Barber Booth

wildrnes
    Free Member

cheers fall guy it was a superb ride
    spoilt by the rambler pub

sat down for a pint (2 pints 2 packets of crisps £7!! )

then while we were sitting outside enjoying the sun they put over the outside speaker system….

Whitney Huston’s greatest hits….

there were about 100+ people in the garden and you could see people looking round saying what is this rubbish

i went over to talk to the staff, who just stood there smirking, so i asked to speak to the manager

a couple of minutes later a woman came over and took out £7 pints and told us to leave because we were swearing at the staff…. the other customers looked somewhat worried

racing_ralph
    Free Member

[Abuse deleted, no need for comments like that – Mod]

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

20 miles up there = about 80 on the road.

🙂

wildrnes
    Free Member

r_r you will have to explain that comment

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i went over to talk to the staff, who just stood there smirking, so i asked to speak to the manager

As if it bothered you that much – do you leave a party if the music is not to your taste?

wildrnes
    Free Member

i did bother me to be honest sitting in edale outside a fantastic pub with a beautiful aspect looking at fantastic rolling scenery, to then have Whitney huston’s greatest hits forced down my throat kind of spoils it,

and if i were at a party and the music was not to my taste i would mention it yes

did what i put offend you enough that you had to call someone you have never met before a cock?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

annoy not offend. Same scenario surely.

wildrnes
    Free Member

yeh anyway

great ride
    shocking attitude from pub
    will do the ride again will never use the pub (and after a couple of seconds googling it seems that i am not alone…)

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

There’s another pub in Edale.

wildrnes
    Free Member

only realised that after i got home hey ho you live and learn eh

brilliant ride though

crazy-legs

I’ve not long been back from a pretty epic variation-on-a-theme of that ride. Agree about The Ramblers pub (didn’t the name give it away?!). I stopped off at The Penny Pot Cafe in Edale (by the station) and it was pretty good (although IME service and quality of food in there varies from excellent to merely average). Lovely day out only spoilt by 2 ignorant pillock ramblers, everyone else from MTBers to horse riders to walkers was very polite and friendly.

thefallguy
    Free Member

glad you had a good ride, its a cracking route, shame the pub spoilt your post ride pint

scruff
    Free Member

Cafe up the top end of Edale the best, by the top camp site, left at other pub. Which is also good and staffed by nice Polish girls

On Saturday we had gates held open for us by Mxers and a farmer waved at us.

Nick

The Rambler has always been crap since I first went there aged about 15 20+ years ago. Nothing I’ve read or heard since has changed my opinion, the Dave Hinde of pubs.

Pook

I’ll not have a bad word said about the Rambler. Really helped me and my girlfriend out when we were in a jam and since then, whenever I’ve been in they’ve been friendly, helpful and courteous. For an Edale loop it’s always my post ride pint. Two pints and two packets of crisps for £7 sounds about right to me – although i seem to remember their real ale being cheaper.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Nice route. I did it clockwise a week ago and have done it anti-closkwise in the past. Good both ways really as most of it’s off road and there’s some good downhills in either direction.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘the peak route that everyone does’ is closed to new replies.