Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The pain of pet owning
  • sprootlet
    Free Member

So today looks like being the last day with Jester, our massive long haired black cat. He’s been off his food (very unusual) for a little while and a trip to the vet on Monday revealed a mass in the abdomen that is likely to be lymphoma.
    He’s having an ultrasound scan this morning then a decision will have to be made because he’s literally starving to death.
    I know he’s had a great life but I so don’t want it to end today.
    I’ve never had a pet to this stage before and it really truly sucks, I can’t seem to stop crying.

I am going to miss the Fat Lad so much, the race down the stairs in the morning to get his breakfast, the “I’ll wake you up by licking your armpit” trick and, most importantly, the way he would always be on my lap on an evening, purring away and making my legs go to sleep.

funkmasterp

Sorry to hear that. It’s the major downside of having pets. At least you can take some solace in the fact that he’ll go nice and peacefully. Big virtual hug coming your way

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Really sorry mate. Sounds like he’s had a good long life.

scubashark
    Free Member

Really feel for you. We had to make that decision 2 years ago with one of ours. Mass in his stomach and tumour under his tongue. The day we booked him into the vets we took the day off and spent it with him.
    Truly the hardest thing I have ever had to do and deal with was making the decision to say goodbye to him.
    Getting tearful just writing this. Condolences to you and your family’s.
    Just remember you are relieving his suffering.

They do seem to make huge imprints in our hearts considering their size.

plus-one

Hugs your way 🙁

PJay
    Free Member

I feel for you; we lost our 19 year old lady a little while back and were devastated (we still miss her although we now have 2 terrors from a local rescue centre ruling us).

We lost her sister some years back to a massive mass in her abdomen/chest that was preventing her swallowing.

It’ll hurt, but perhaps in time you’ll be able to find space for another (or two).

binners

So sorry to hear that! They just become a huge part of your life, don’t they? The little sods!

At least you know you gave him a long, happy life

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

At least you know you gave him a long, happy life

just think of this.

My oldest cat is only 5 but I keep thinking of how hard it will be when he goes, having experienced another couple of cats at that stage.

footflaps

We had to have two cats put down about 18 months ago, I cried for a week over the first one, was so sad. They were only 7 years old as well, quite young for cats. We now have four more, which will hopefully all survice a bit longer….

Stevet1
    Free Member

Sympathise completely. By making the choice at the right time you are of course doing the best and last thing you can do for your cat. Knowing that doesn’t really help though.

Third worst day of my life was taking a dog to the Vets to be put to sleep. Damn thing thought it was going for a walk as usual, looking at me full of doggy excitement as we travelled there in the car. Had to stop and pull over twice on the way. Arse, dusty in here again.

benz
    Free Member

I have shed more tears for the loss of any of our previous dogs than I have for any human relative.

For some reason, any time the vet has been required to come and make that final home visit, I’ve been the one who has been asked by the family to be there.

However, each time, I have thought that each hound has had a good life with us, been loved, played with, fed well, had holidays, a space on the sofa, all the health care that could be obtained, enjoyed walks (on beaches, in forests, on hills, in cities), cuddled frequently.

The loss and hurt will pass. Look back on the good times and smile!

sprootlet
    Free Member

Just an update, it is definitely cancer and likely lymphoma. We aren’t going down the route of surgery and chemo with the hope of extending life by a year/2 if we’re super lucky.
    He’s had a steroid injection to see if he can have a bit longer as he’s not in pain but if he’s not eating his smoked salmon tomorrow then the final trip to vet is booked for Saturday morning. Really not sure we’ve done the right thing but he has a day to say goodbye to all his “aunties”.
    Have a thumping headache from crying so much and my stalwart man has been in tears too.
    To everyone with a cat – give them a dreamie on behalf of Jester – he’s not fussy which flavour, any and all are good !
    Off to cry some more and make the headache worse !

nicko74

🙁
    I feel your pain, it’s never easy. But he’s had a good life, and feeling as miserable as you do just means you’ve been a great owner who cares. Hugs to Jester (although I suspect being a cat he’d pretend not to appreciate them)

duckman

Hamish’s head rubbed and dreamies proffered(and accepted) Hardest, cruelest and ultimately kindest decision any of us ever have to make. Better a week early than a day late.

sarawak
    Free Member

`We’ve had five cats and we’ve had to make that decision on all of them. It ain’t easy and we’ve cried long and hard every time.
    But the decision was made in the best interests of the cats not out of self pity for ourselves.

The pain eventually goes. Its 20+ years since the first one went and we still remember it. But…we remember the good times.

If you care enough to cry over them when they are gone then you will have given them a good life.

The pain will go. The memories will stay with you forever.

Ambrose

So sorry to hear this. We lost Willow the Wonder Pooch last August. It was a horrid day. She was a beagle cross so would just wander off following her nose. It eventually gets easier.

Nine months later I’m now fencing off the garden in readiness for RescuePooch Ver 1.00.

convert

It really is so hard. We made the decision to have our old but awesome girl put down on Christmas eve just gone. She had been with us 18 years and was just shy of 20 years old. It was so tough.

Much against our better judgement we gave a home to a delightful little 11yr old cat in desperate need of a home or she was off to the rescue centre at the end of January. Too soon really. Very pretty in a perfectly imperfect kind of way with an outstanding personality. She arrived in a bit of a state with chronic asthma and a bit uncared for but we got her on the straight and narrow. Never been allowed outside and having her on our laps in the garden feeling the wind in her face for the first time at 11 years old was brilliant and sad in equal measure. Then last weekend she went off her food and had a bit of a stumble on Sunday night. Then Monday morning another bigger stumble and bam, both her retinas were blown out and instantly and permanently blind. Poor little mite was proper stressed. When you go to the vet and they go straight to the ‘it’s the kindest thing to do’ spiel without any options you know there’s only one way this should go.

Got to confess going through it twice in 4 months has left us pretty blown away emotionally. It was probably too soon to take on another one but we never dreamed it would end so soon and in such a swift and tragic way. So sad for us to loose the first as she has been with us the bulk of our adult lives. So sad for the second as she was just beginning to embark on a grand second life.

A word of advice – talk to someone about the last few minutes before you get to them. Our two went very differently and we were not ready for it the first time. The second was a lot calmer; the first was like being in a horror show but would have been a lot better if forewarned. From our limited experience I’d opt for a cannula if given the choice. PM me if you want details.

jamj1974

It’s a hard journey… my thoughts are with you and your family.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Had to put our cat to sleep after having her for 18 years , due to a tumour she was bitting at , this was a few months ago , the guilt I still have for taking her still kills me , I know it was the best thing for her but it’s horrible, u need to do what’s best for the cat but it ain’t easy
    Good luck

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

. Really not sure we’ve done the right thing but he has a day to say goodbye to all his “aunties”.

you are – the surgery route is just for your benefit but will just cause pain and confusion for your cat and you will regret it.

Just treat him with as much good food as possible until you see signs of his confusion and distress, but beware of trying to eek it out too much.

rickmeister

Pets can give us the best years of our lives and the single worst day ever….

Sorry to hear the news….

footflaps

I’d opt for a cannula if given the choice. PM me if you want details.

Both our cats were fitted with a cannula, then brought back to you and they inject the fatal dose in your presence.

bodgy
    Free Member

I’m really sorry to hear this. Sympathies. 😢

It’s usually possible to get the vet to come to your home for a small charge, if you don’t want the stress of the journey etc. We did this with our beloved mutt Coda; her life ended laid in her basket, in her home with us. Best £50 ever.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies, they really have helped and made a difference at this absolute ***** of a time.

Jester has responded really well to the steroid and a conversation with the vet will happen on Monday about how we go forward with it. He’s back eating a good amount of food, this morning was left over haddock, chicken shish and donner meat with some cat food chaser – all eaten with gusto again. As important he’s going out and about to visit his other homes and cruise the street as he usually does.

A couple stopped me yesterday to say how sorry they were to hear about Jester (I barely know them but my cat obviously does) and his most favourite auntie (Pam) and I had a bit of cry when I gave her the update.

In the time we have left there will be lots of cuddles and tasty treats. As soon as there is a loss of appetite or signs of pain we’ll be back to the vet.

I don’t think I’ll be in any rush to go through this again with more pets…….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

We all say that. And then do it again.
    We lost these 3 Jack Russells and a cat over 18 months. The youngest was 18 years old.
    2 more cats and two rescue pups now and another rescue dog spent his last 8 months here.

The house feels empty with any animals.

Alphabet

I’m glad to hear Jester has had a bit of a reprieve. Every time we loose a pet we say no more but then a few months later …

sprootlet
    Free Member

I just wanted to say what happened to Jester…..
    He perked up with the steroid injection and we had a good weekend with him. Things were looking positive and we gave tablet steroids a try. Unfortunately, he went back to not eating and there was no way we were going to carry on stressing him out trying to force a pill down his throat.
    An appointment was made for the final trip to the vet for Thursday – and he went out for the day ! He hadn’t moved out of the ensuite bathroom for a day prior to this so the disappearing trick was surprise. I like to think he spent the day in the sun somewhere being petted.
    Anyway, he was put down on Friday 17th May at about the same time I was having a general anaesthetic for ACL reconstruction. I hate the fact I wasn’t there and that my other half had to do it alone and bury him too but we really needed to do it as he wasn’t eating or drinking.
    His sister is still with us but there is a big Fat Lad sized hole in our day….
    Goodbye Jester, you were such a great lad that you’ve won over a confirmed dog person

rickmeister

Sorry to hear the news…

Having lost three ourselves, it will get a little easier with time. Get those pictures out and remember the good times..

Alex

Sorry to hear that. I was reading this thread while we were going through the same thing with our not-yet 3 year old lab https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-pup-pics-but-a-sad-story-why-we-have-her/

That quote about best years of your life and worse day is so true. And the one about the house being so quiet. I guess we’ll know if we’ve done the right thing by getting another lab so soon in a few months. Right now it does.

one_bad_mofo

Lots of really good advice available here – https://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/grief-and-loss.

I found it really useful to leave a message on the condolence wall last year when I lost two cats in less than six months.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘The pain of pet owning’ is closed to new replies.