Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • "the only good cyclist is a dead one"
  • piemann
    Free Member

Has this been done already?? Had a quick search but didn’t see anything.
    In short, a nobber editor of some posh London NIMBY magazine reckons the only good cyclist is a dead one

BikeBiz article

Actual article

Even if the article is intended to be jocular, he’s still a tosser.

kimbers

bike biz article no work

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

bikebiz link don’t work

atlaz
    Free Member

He’s clearly had some crap about this already. I am predicting an “I’m sorry what I said upset you” style apology rather than a proper apology

seven
    Free Member

Apparently we misunderstood what he meant

UPDATE: Nye is promising to expand on this statement he made on Twitter:

“I am astonished at the reaction to my blog, which had nothing to do with cyclists being killed. I would never joke about such a thing. People have misunderstood my use of [the] phrase.”

hmm an editor that can’t communicate is a bit like a cyclist that can’t cycle

footflaps

Anyone want to form a lynch mob?

I feel ideally STW qualified to lead one, having not read his article…

djglover
    Free Member

good to see you can still rely on militant cyclists to over-react to toffs in the press. Matthew Parris anyone?

scaredypants

The Richmond Defence, I predict

Along with “actually some of my best chums are cyclists…”

ski
    Free Member

I must be getting old, never heard of the richmond mag? 😯

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

crikey – the original article doesn’t read too bad at all – mountain/molehill, etc

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s been around for ages. Glossy cover, nothing interesting inside. I’ve had mags they produce shoved through my letter box for the last 10 years. Even as a local it’s pointless.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Original editorial piece – just seems like an odious pompous arse to me:

Richard Nye
    editorial@sheengate.co.uk
    @TheRichmondMag

AND so the circus is finally over and we can all get back to worrying about bread. Or lack thereof, to be precise, if the latest growth forecasts are up to speed. London wistfully lowers its colours; the great Olympic bandwagon rolls on.

It has, by near-universal consent, been a triumph. Rarely can a single event have so transformed the mood of a nation. One minute we’re all busy cursing the jet stream and the consequential grey skies and rain – the lady who contacted me recently about the Cloud Appreciation Society needs to work on her timing – the next it’s all medalmania and a veritable new dawn for mankind. Not since the relief of Mafeking has delirium so engulfed our shores.

But I worry. So spectacular has been the jolt to the collective psyche that it must surely have some detrimental long-term effects. Face it, folks: rushing home in Boltlike haste to catch the highlights of the musical dressage, or asking the neighbours round for an afternoon of tea and taekwondo, is simply not rational behaviour. Out there, loose, a whole army of overnight experts in skeet shooting, canoe slalom and synchronized platform diving is roaming our streets, without so much as a doctor’s certificate to confirm that it poses no threat. It’s like Care in the Community without the safeguards.

My own symptoms have been truly alarming. After years of sullen rage against the cycling fraternity – as a daily driver on busy roads, I tend towards the temperate view that the only good cyclist is a dead one – I suddenly found myself experiencing strange feelings of attachment towards the pedal stars of Team GB.

Even before the Games began, I could feel myself coming down with this disturbing velomalaise. I watched a documentary about Victoria Pendleton and became quite indignant at the way her fiancé had been forced out of her coaching team after the last Olympics in Beijing – falling in love with the athletes, apparently, is nowhere in the manual. I almost – but not quite – cried when she and Jessica Varnish were disqualified from the Team Sprint. When she won her gold in the Keirin, the old lip quivered again. Then she lost in her final event and I caved in completely.

And then, of course, there was the Road Race. Strange to recall that I spent a whole hour up on a ridge in Richmond Park watching policemen ride by on motorbikes, waiting for a pack of cyclists to speed past in the blink of an eye. Or that I came over all poetic after the Time Trial, waxing lyrical
    about how Bradley Wiggins had added another layer to the history of Hampton Court. In a ludicrous fit of vanity, I even wondered if a pair of Wiggo sideburns might lend a little je ne sais quoi to a fashionably thinning homme d’un certain age.

All very distressing. But there is hope. The other night, driving home after a long day at work, I was cut up on the inside by some aggressive character on a bike. “Bastardo!” I yelled at the windscreen. “Cycling swinehunt! Two-wheeled son of Beelzebub!”

A huge wave of relief surged through me. At last I was back to normal.

yossarian
    Free Member

maybe he was talking about critical mass?

as a proper cyclist who speaks for all cyclists I agree with him

njee20
    Free Member

If you take take phrase out of the article it reads quite well (ignoring the last sentence, I like how the cyclist is aggressive, and his response is to scream at them 🙄 ), not really what I expected, without giving him benefit of the doubt I’m think he has screwed up and used the wrong phrase, as opposed to any real malice, but it’s still inexcusable, and comments about ‘you’ve misunderstood’ make him look like a total dick. Nice to see people are pointing out the lack of ambiguity to him on Twitter!

spawnofyorkshire

my (much richer than me) sister lives in kew and gets this posh newsletter through her letterbox. I believe they’re regularly spouting this kind of crap, which is a bit daft as there are a hell of a lot of cyclists in that area.
    {edit} BTW i think he’s trying to be funny and was waaaaaaay wide of the mark. His writing style annoys me more than his comment about dead cyclists!

rickon
    Free Member

The other night, driving home after a long day at work, I was cut up on the inside by some aggressive character on a bike. “Bastardo!” I yelled at the windscreen. “Cycling swinehunt! Two-wheeled son of Beelzebub!”

And why does that matter? A cyclist passed him, as there was space to do so – why should someone on a bike sit behind vehicles 5 times the width just because they can’t get past?

It’s the same mentality of people that don’t let you in when you try to merge, as you’re somehow getting one over them.

mcboo
    Free Member

maybe he was talking about critical mass?

as a proper cyclist who speaks for all cyclists I agree with him

I’ve never felt more part of the national cycling tribe than I do now yet have a burning hatred of those dicks on Critical Mass.

Nick

I can’t see anything wrong with what he has written, quite a nice way of describing what I suspect a lot of people think, prior, during and over time, post the olympics.

Freester

In context I guess what he was really trying to articulate in a very unfunny manner that he didn’t like cyclists, but then he did for 5 mins during the Olympics, but now it’s over he doesn’t again.

But then why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The only good press editor is a dead one right…?

binners

I hope that you lot are all actually from Richmond. Otherwise you know nothing, and have absolutely no place commenting on this subject

unklehomered
    Free Member

I await his reflection on the paralympics with a deeply uncomfortable sense of dread….

spawnofyorkshire

unklehomered – Member

I await his reflection on the paralympics with a deeply uncomfortable sense of dread….
    “The only good person in a wheelchair is…..”

GrahamS

I wonder how his article would have read if it had been about him not usually liking black people till he sees them do well in the Olympics…

mcboo
    Free Member

What he was doing was trying to ingratiate himself with his target audience in well healed Richmond. He’s assuming they’re all ruddy faced, toffs in Range Rovers who hate cyclists.

He probably had a short career in the City followed by a stint as an estate agent in Fulham. He couldnt cut the mustard there so he’s wound up the editor of some desperate freesheet. Don’t hate him, pity him.

He’s not exactly Cary Grant

GrahamS

What he was doing was trying to ingratiate himself with his target audience in well healed Richmond. He’s assuming they’re all ruddy faced, toffs in Range Rovers who hate cyclists.

Not so sure – BikeBiz points out that Moore’s Cycles have a half-page advert in “The Richmond” because they have three bike shops in the area.

scaredypants

my guess is he missed out on those specially tuned ebay road wheels the other day and is all cross about it

nmdbase
    Free Member

What a croc of shit, that is all I have to say.

ThePinkster

TBH I don’t much wrong with what he’s written. He’s entitled to his opinion as much as we are and I’ve read far worse in national publications.

binners

BikeBiz points out that Moore’s Cycles have a half-page advert in “The Richmond” because they have three bike shops in the area.

Not any more, they don’t 😀

smell_it
    Free Member

As a true stw’er I’ll not be reading any of that article, but i’m already pickin’ a lynch’in tree.

mt
    Free Member

It was mildly amusing but can see that a cycle facist would be upset.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not reading it either but it sounds like something my mother-in-law would say..

unklehomered
    Free Member

Hang on, this Richmond and my Richmond are different aren’t they. Richmond to me is the Castle and Market town on the River Swale… where’s his Richmond?

Lifer
    Free Member

Lolz @ Mcboo

Carey Grant no, but he does have a touch of ‘the Gove’ about him.

unklehomered
    Free Member

@McBoo

He looks like the inside of my pork pie!

I’ve gone off my pork pie now…

mcboo
    Free Member

His Richmond is a rather picturesque suburb of London on the Thames.

Your Richmond is nice too.

mt
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member

The South, whatever you do don’t go there.

RustySpanner

I’m not from Richmond, but I hate the place – terrible sausages.

Hope this helps.

unklehomered
    Free Member

mt – If they look like him I have no intention of doing so…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘"the only good cyclist is a dead one"’ is closed to new replies.