Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 436 total)
  • The Olympics
  • cheers_drive

2 unexpected golds today and 2 more in unexpected gold medal matches. If only GB was better a swimming and we’d be too

imnotverygood

Good job we have a great goalie. That was exciting!!

zippykona

The Dutch played like the harlem globe trotters. They was robbed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Awesome

We can win at penalties after all!?!

Wonder if they practice them???? Wendy take note.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That keeper, Hinch, what a player! I played in goal for a few seasons, and watching her was like a bloody masterclass in keeping. Just brilliant.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s all about getting the ball in the back of the net. I think most of us will agree that the Dutch looked the better team for most of that – most of the team that is, but they still had to get past our goalie, something they only managed 3 times.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m assuming you had the same commentary as me – the goalie with her book. I suspect she practices quite a bit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They do (German footballers do), they win. Our footballers don’t (it’s just down to bottle) and they lose.

It was a rhetorical question Aracer 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

we have a great Britain football team that is poor at penalties?
    When did this happen?

i think you have made the english error of conflating Great Britain and england.

aracer
    Free Member

4 years ago.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

How great was that? Really buzzing now,

Cougar

It’s a shame they don’t do MVP, Hinch all the way. The Dutch were surely the better team and I’m gutted for them, but that was a hell of a game.

Junkyard
    Free Member

4 years ago.

Yes that was definitely what he meant and he did not conflate england and Great Britain
    Cheers for the clarification

Cougar

What happened to the German lady on crutches?

theotherjonv

Hurt her leg.

For chrissakes hurry up now. I feel compelled to watch them get medals, but the paralympics start in 17 days, and they’ll need the pitch.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dutch where fabulous, as they generally are. It’s a massive sport in Holland, great for a Uni tour for certain 🙂 Old cliche of not enough goals given the possession, certainly they will rue all the missed penalty corners. A missed (saved, poorly taken) penalty and 4 blanks in the shoot out.

bruk

Bloody hell, tense game which the Dutch will be gutted to have lost. Great keeping by the GB Keeper.

Not watched much hockey before. God those ladies must be fit. Ok it’s only 60 minutes but the ball is in play the vast majority of that time and there was very little time wasting and no play acting like the effing footballers.

Would be interested to see who covers the most miles per hour vs rugby or football.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bruk rolling substitutes on off on off etc They actually cut the matches from 70 to 60 mins too with a break after each 15

Edit: but yes very fit

whisky711
    Free Member

Heads up…..women’s pole vault at 00:30. 🙂 😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

I feel compelled to repeat the line from the commentary when we last won Gold at Hockey

“Where where the Germans ? Frankly who cares ?”

theotherjonv

Field hockey – ca 5 miles (defenders run less)

Football – ca 7 miles (Midfielders run around 8.5, attacking full backs also, GK and centre halves substantially less). Referees run further than players. But game is 90 mins vs 60 in hockey, so similar intensity, just for longer.

Rugby – front rowers ca 2.5 miles, scrum half around 4.5 miles (most of which while also attempting to ref the game). Lots of ball not in play time in rugby, so a lot is done at full speed and a lot at no speed.

Daffy

In the semi-final, they were 9mins into the first quarter, bathed in sweat and they kept up the same tempo for another 51mins!!

bruk

Found this from Runners world which suggests average 5.6 miles a game vs 7.5 in football

linky

Pretty comparable esp if you include the rolling susbtitutions.

Pretty bloody fit I reckon.

theotherjonv

5.6miles was based on the old 70 min / 2 halves game, hence my estimate in a 60 min game of about 5.

bruk

Yes, looks like it was based on 70 minutes rather than the 60 they now play. Still loved the way the ball was back in play so quickly and so little time wasted, cf with rugby and football.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Professional footballers are fitter as they are professionals, its fheir full time job for which they are handsomely rewarded amd with phenominal facilites and medical/physio support

Bunnyhop

I am over the moon for Nick Skelton.
    7th olympics. All the injuries that ninfan mentioned above.
    Hip replacement and 58 years of age, after retirement too, he came back with little practise, knowing that Bigstar could get the gold.

Amazing.

Great to hear that Manchester will host the olympian’s parade in october. More chance for people to get to.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

+1 great partnership and wonderful to see the emotion in the slightly wobbly lower lip. Brilliant achievement from Nick. You are only as old as you feel…

theotherjonv

Looking forward to the modern pentathlon especially after finding out that they don’t ride their own horses, theycget alocated on and then have 20 minutes to make friends with it.

Especially as from the BBC footage, seems that in the pool of horses they include a few psycho ones and a few with no prior experience of show jumping, or possibly even having been ridden before 😯

aracer
    Free Member

Has anybody yet worked out why the 4×400 relay boys were DQed? None of the experts seem to be able to explain it, and I’ve watched lots of footage and can’t either. Have we basically been cheated?

mikey74
    Free Member

From the bit I saw, it’s to do with the position Rooney was in when the baton was handed over: At the 200m mark, the officials put the next leg runners in the lane corresponding to their teams position at that time and they must stay there, regardless of whether the positions change over the final 200m. The suggestion is that Rooney changed position after he was told where to be by the official. No one can find any evidence of this, though.

Surely, if Rooney changed position, then someone else must have had to change as well: However, I joined the discussion part way through so may have missed something.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So can the Beeb use their imagination and choose a new sport to back with decent coverage. Lots of examples, time for some management and vision from Auntie.

Quite a junky for the extended coverage team

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

And I don’t know how Lutalo Muhammad managed to lose the taekwondo final.  The match resumed with 1 second to go and he was leading 6-4, he was absolutely gutted.

cheese@4p

Looking at the BBC schedules I can’t see any coverage of today’s womenns XC race. Why not?

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    So can the Beeb use their imagination and choose a new sport to back with decent coverage.

Personally I agree with this,fitba is well covered and the bbc can’t compete, so why bother, as a public service broadcaster their remit really should be to try and redress the imbalance.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheese@4p – Member
    Looking at the BBC schedules I can’t see any coverage of today’s womenns XC race. Why not?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/olympics/36738554

scotroutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/olympics/36738554
    Yep – That link suggests that if you click on it after 16:00 it’ll be showing coverage

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

First medal for Hungaria!!!

zilog6128

XC is on channel 477 on Sky @ 16.25 (which means it’ll also be on red button/internet)

MSP

Shame the ladies xc clashes with the triathlon this afternoon.

Beyond the main track events, that have been on at the wrong time of day to watch, the xc and triathlon is all I have any interest in this Olympics.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 436 total)

The topic ‘The Olympics’ is closed to new replies.