Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The old N+1 problem
  • jollymk4
    Free Member

last year through C2W I picked up a Pinnacle Lithium Ltd (the fully reflective one with the basket) Did a 50k sportive the next day, decided I NEEDED a road bike for the next event. Grabbed a bargain of a Fuji Sportif 1.3 with its fat bloke friendly geometry and upped the groupset to 105.

No use any more for the “urban hybrid” Pinnacle except that it looks cool. (Its currently ran 65 miles total)

Now my horrible influence of a peer group are suggesting we do the off road option of the BHF MK50 ride next year, so I NEED a MTB.

So here’s the problem. A decent hardtail MTB (eyes on a Giant fathom) will cover the Off road rides and be fine in the Redways around Milton Keynes. The Fuji has my road requirements covered. So does anyone want my Pinacle? That I don’t really want to sell. I paid £999 for it an I expect it’s delreciated horribly.

What I’ve told myself is if I sell the Pinacle I can have the Giant, if not I have to buy a cheaper/2nd hand MTB

How do guys get away with having multiple rides without getting divorced?

HELP!

Paul

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So basically don’t go for N+1 with women, bikes just get rid of the hybrid

To avoid the divorce be open and honest with your wife.

andrewh
    Free Member

Had seven, plus various frames, when we married. She’s kind of lost count so new ones can slip in. Plus she has four of her own. Easy to hide one in a shed of that many.

No help to you, but that’s how.

kilo

Mrs Kilo, when we met, couldn’t understand why you would need more than one bike – she has eleven now, more than I have. So get your Mrs cycling.

nant
    Free Member

All my bikes are roughly the same colour. She never goes in the shed. So she doesn’t realise there are 3..  :O)

dpfr

Just stick to titanium frames and make sure there’s never more than one visible at any one time……

philjunior
    Free Member

I have 7 bikes. One of which I sort of built as a project as I had almost all the parts for a bike… I have loaned it to my next door neighbour for summer, er, might ride it next winter (built it up SS). All the others get ridden. N+1 for the win. Having a bike is great. Having loads of different bikes is greater (we all know someone who has several near identical bikes and should just sell one). It sounds like your hybrid is a great tool for going to the shops or the pub. Just don’t bother with a helmet or other bike gear and revel in the convenience.

About the divorce part. Yeah. It happens to the best of us. On the good side I’ve had quite an interesting time since she moved out! 🙂

cookeaa

Just stop buying new bikes like some sort of mug…

Simply buy used bikes, normally some numpty has bought the wrong toy, ridden all of 65 miles left it in the shed for a couple of years and you can have it for less than half the price of a new one…

tthew

Here is the STW answer to the (correct) question you didn’t ask. 😀 Get a set of short travel suspension forks for the Lithium and do the charity ride on that.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

If you’re doing the mountain bike ride next gear, why not just keep the hybrid until then? Alternatively, buy a mtb hardtail and sell the hybrid, but have a pair of slick tyres you can use for commuting on it.

alextemper
    Free Member

Buy a cheap retro MTB, run tubes and switch between off Road and commuter tyres as you need. Older geometry is commuter friendly plus doing a charity MTB ride isn’t going to that demanding and require the latest and greatest. It’s also a bit of fun doing up an old shitter and making it good.

chiefgrooveguru

Just ride your Pinnacle off-road. It’s basically a rigid MTB with summer tyres. If it’s going to be wet/muddy then get some knobblier ones.

It’ll make a better MTB than almost any retro option.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.