Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The Old Grey Whistle Test is back tonight (Friday), oh yes
  • cinnamon_girl

BBC4 9.00 pm. Friday

Hosted by Bob Harris, this live studio show features music, special guests and rare archive footage to mark the 30 years since the legendary series was last broadcast.

Featuring performances from Peter Frampton, Richard Thompson, Albert Lee and more. Bob also chats to Whistle Test alumni, including Dave Stewart, Joan Armatrading, Ian Anderson, Chris Difford and Kiki Dee, as well as fan Danny Baker.

It lasts for 3 hours, will I stay awake??

martymac

IPlayer if u dont

martinhutch

It lasts for 3 hours, will I stay awake??

I thought it was traditional to fall asleep watching it after an evening in the pub?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll record it, skip through the duller moments.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I thought his first name was Whispering ….

I will probably record this as it’s way past my bedtime on a night before a ride ..

Cheers for the nod ..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Much-o acclaimo.

cinnamon_girl

I fall asleep with i-player as well, seriously.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bob’s a mate. It’ll be great. If you’re old enough.

CountZero

Set up to record, I’ll be in a pub/restaurant celebrating a friend’s birthday when it’s on.

There’s certainly a place for TOGWT on telly, Later… is ok, but the range of artists seems a bit limited at times.

mrmoofo

It’s a shame it is the typical BBC “ aren’t we great and let’s talk to our mates” than actually show anything pivotal… they have loads but instead we get Annie Nightingdales and Bob Harris blowing smoke up everybody’s arses …

shermer75
    Free Member

They could freshen it up with new acts too!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I thought the three girls from the West Country were really good.

Gary Newman is pretty good also.

Yeah, could do with a little less gossip, but still it’s a one off celebration so for me it’s fine.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Waiting for iplayer later but sadly quite sure we won’t be seeing Druid’s set or Colin Blunstone (plus heavy friends).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Now how did I make that bold?

mrmoofo

Interestingly, they are staying away from where they got it wrong..

Roxy Music,

New York Dolls,

Punk etc …

Garry Newman was good … you need to get get out more …

It was some sort of Gothic / the Mummy piss take , wasn’t it?

sweepy
    Free Member

They really need to stop talking

kimbers

every time I click on theres a bunch of oldies reminiscing about olden times

sweepy
    Free Member

No! john otway! go on, reall free

sweepy
    Free Member

Just talking, **** this

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’m afraid I always thought Whispering Bob was a bit creepy….yep still creepy

martymac

Faaar too much talking, hardly any of what made the show great.

cinnamon_girl

There were some interesting stuff such as the guy who did the animation.  And the old films chosen to go with specific tracks was amazing, it really worked.  West Country ladies were good.  I voted, didn’t get who I wanted so listened on Youtube.  Could have been better really.

Have an OGWT box set, shall give it an airing tomorrow.

frankconway

Missed it but will catch up later.

CG – Busby Berkley clips to go with Led Zeppelin was always a favourite of mine.

Some of the comments ^^^ criticising ‘too much talking’ – colour me pop and it’s migration into the whistle test, from extremely small beginnings, changed how music was shown on tv.

Tuesday night in my youth – out with mates; back home; parents in bed; be quiet; tv on – stone fox chase and off we go.

Musical education for many and great exposure for muses. I think there is a well earned right to pontificate. If they excluded Roxy Music & the NY Dolls due to Bob’s dislike, so what. The programmes and it’s influence supersedes all of that.

myopic
    Free Member

Watching the BBC4 version, no idea if it’s the same as what was under discussion earlier on, but 20 mins in, its been wall to wall shit. Kicking off with Elton J – wtf?  Only decent act has been steppenwolf. Can’t handle any more – saved for later, but not holding out much hope

Edit: just picked up as was about to turn off with Bowie

frankconway

Hmmm – some lack of awareness of musical heritage but I don’t care.

https://vimeo.com/65539679

myopic
    Free Member

Now if it had been more like that, Frank, I might have stayed up, but it’s taken another nosedive. I’m off to bed. Will call catch up tomorrow evening maybe – probably on fast forward!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I get out regularly thanks.

What did you expect from the programme?

It was billed as a reminiscent angle on what once was, and it’s influence on music culture. I thought it fitted that rather well.

If you were expecting Julz Later, then that’s probably back on soon enough.

markrh
    Free Member

The young Bob Harris reminds me of the rabbit in Donnie Darko.

whitestone
    Free Member

@frankconway – I remember the two Led Zep videos when they were broadcast, possibly the first time I’ve seen it since.

TOGWT was of its time, it wasn’t full of “Hey, wow aren’t these great” hyperbole, so if you want that sort of bullshit then it isn’t for you. It trod the middle ground between TOTP and the high-faluting arts programmes. John Peel’s radio show was similar. The music and artists stood or fell on their merit. Some good artists did bad studio performances and vice versa. Then there were appearances that just stand on their own – Delilah by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band is one example.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for that vid Frank, what a match and works so well.

Reflection – whitestone sums it up well and in hindsight I feel it was right not to have shown endless performances from the archive.  The selection of guests could have been better though, Kiki Dee seriously?  I enjoyed hearing how the programme came about, it certainly captured me although watching it was very dependent on availability of one telly and parents.  The mention of Melody Maker and NME, oh gosh.  Getting tickets for gigs with no internet, what a palaver.  Time spent in record shops, a lot.  Fond memories for sure.

My OGWT box set has over 9 hours of archive music and interviews, it’s been a very long time since I listened to it so let’s get rockin’.

cinnamon_girl

PS Did anyone vote?  Who for?  I voted for Humble Pie.

CountZero

I’m afraid I always thought Whispering Bob was a bit creepy….yep still creepy

😳

Jimmy Saville, now he was creepy!

slowoldman

I didn’t vote but from that lot it would definitely have been Bob Marley. The programme was a bit meh with a few snippets of interesting information.

simondbarnes

Watched it this evening. An excellent 3 hours.

cinnamon_girl

So … my OGWT box set isn’t widescreen, includes interviews and there’s no way of selecting artistes.  Boo hoo.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘The Old Grey Whistle Test is back tonight (Friday), oh yes’ is closed to new replies.