Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The obligatory "why are flaming christmas ads on already!!!!
  • bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

What is it with advertisers and insisting its christmas in november???? Is it my bah humbug attitude or are they all idiots??

jam-bo

I think I hate these threads more

kevj
    Free Member

It is not obligatory, you could have not posted.

Just saying lyk.

tomhoward

I was disappointed to see the coke one, I’m normally well into Christmas when I first see it, but 8th nov is too early.

Also, I note that every shop and it’s dog is trying to do a ‘John Lewis’ ad this year, to the point where you don’t know which shop is being advertised…

maccruiskeen

are they all idiots?

Well they’re still in business so probably not. Personally I don’t really start thinking about christmas until a few days before christmas but I expect I’m in a minority in that respect. Advertisers start advertising when they do, and the shops start stocking when they do because thats when a lot of people start buying for christmas.

grim168
    Free Member

I quite like them 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

Because most stores rely on the Christmas period to make their financial year.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

It’s been a terrible year for retail, the next 6 weeks are pivotal to the end year results on what is usually the busiest time in the shops hence advertise early and get people in the mindset of spending

benji
    Free Member

Cost of adverts, it’s probably cheaper advertising space now rather than closer to christmas, and to try and get some revenue in now rather than doing a blockbusters/barretts shoes.

chewkw
    Free Member

The earlier the ads the more financial rewards for the company …

You snooze you lose

Drac

Well it’s been done to death here already so you can find other threads to grump about Xmas in.

Also, I note that every shop and it’s dog is trying to do a ‘John Lewis’ ad this year, to the point where you don’t know which shop is being advertised..

The clue is the John Lewis one is a cartoon.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I dont fancy streching my xmas budget all the way from november!!!

I can see the retailers point trying to get us to spend money earlier and get us into panick mode but c’mon, I like it when im off work and at home with the wife feeling all festive. Next it will be xmas ads in october!!!!

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Who shops at jl anyway?? Is this a southern thing?

Drac

I dont fancy streching my xmas budget all the way from november!!!

You don’t need to.

Who shops at jl anyway?? Is this a southern thing?

Me.

IanW
    Free Member

90% of Christmas is retail.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Thats what the retailers are trying to do though, get buying now people its only round the corner!!!! No… just start in december like you knew it was xmas when the coca cola ad came on. It was bonfire night LAST WEEK.

May just be me or where I live but never really heard of jl till I started using this forum. Bit posh me thinks, M&S is a treat “goodie” shop on the way home one night when wage is good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So it’s the 11th of November, there are 6 weeks available to influence what people are going to spend their money on.
    For a large number of people money will be spent incrementally purchasing gifts over the next few weeks. Starting now ensures you will be in there before November pay day (for most) and allow a retailer to build some momentum.

Pook

It’s the sodding blue Argos aliens that do my nut.

Christmas advertising has started pretty much around bonfire night for ages – and to be fair, a lot of people start their Christmas shopping.

It’s hardly a surprise is it?

For me, Christmas preparations start in December, but I just accept that we will have it in our faces well before that.

As soon as Christmas is over, Cadbury’s will be advertising Crème Eggs.

Sell your TV or suck it up – it aint gonna change

DP

bigdean

Wwjd?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bigdean – Member
    Wwjd?

Buy a new hat?

kevj
    Free Member

If you have kids, you will notice that the week they go back to school after the six weeks, the adverts start then. Not necessarily Christmas specific with Santa and snow, but definitely gearing up in that direction.

bigrich

here are some mince pies with a use by five weeks before christmas.

jekkyl

Christmas isn’t about advertising or shopping, it’s about the birth of our Lord God Jesus Christ. Amen!

Drac

May just be me or where I live but never really heard of jl till I started using this forum

I find that very hard to believe.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Just deciding which charity to donate our Christmas fund into?

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I hadnt heard of jl. I was brought up buying me clothes off me bros “dodgy” m8 the mother shopped at kwik save and I spent every living moment out on my bmx. The poshest store in blackpool is jd sports : p theres an mns in lytham and the town centre and thats it tbf. Most blackpool residents shop at home bargins or bnm bargins as theres no solid work in the town most people work away like I do.

Drac

I grow up in a very rural town I was never in always out and summers were hotter than they are now and Christmas was white. I live in a more rural town now our poshest shop is Costa Coffee, I reckon most people have heard of John Lewis though.

ononeorange

All happily avoided by not watching the commercial channels.

olddog

… fundamentally because the people selling stuff find benefit in doing it and because they are free to do it.

Restricting either would seem like a big step – but equally we are free not to like it and to not engage.

Thems ya choices – neo-liberalism innit

IdleJon

mikewsmith – Member

So it’s the 11th of November, there are 6 weeks available to influence what people are going to spend their money on.
    For a large number of people money will be spent incrementally purchasing gifts over the next few weeks. Starting now ensures you will be in there before November pay day (for most) and allow a retailer to build some momentum.

+1

Like a lot of people, my wife and I get paid on the 28th November – 17 days time – and don’t get paid until after Christmas. If we haven’t finished all of our Xmas shopping out of 28th Novs pay nothing more will be bought.

If the advertisers wait until December to start then they will have missed out on a huge portion of the population.

I really can’t believe that some of you struggle with this concept?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The obligatory "why are flaming christmas ads on already!!!!’ is closed to new replies.