• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Klunk.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The Northman
  • plus-one

Please please don’t waste your money/time on this utter utter shite movie !!

Had very high expectations looking at some review’s(should have looked at more)

Saturday evening with good lady sat down to watch it on sky movies £15.99.

Half an hour I stuck it out it’s absolute mince 🙁

Tried too hard to capture realism/rituals etc.

redthunder
    Free Member

£16 WTF. Films have got a bit pricy.

However, I thought Northman was good, worth a watch. But not a 16 quid watch.

desperatebicycle

Saw it at the cinema few weeks back. Bloody great. Bonkers, but great.

Mate and I are going to have a Robert Eggers film fest at his house this weekend. I just love his films (especially The Witch).

(starting a thread to say you don’t like something – also bonkers, but great 😆 )

rone

I’m ready to watch this.

If I can cope with Valhalla Rising then we should be good.

It had a tiny run at the cinema hence the rental fee but it’s still steep for rental.

The Witch was okay but The Lighthouse was dull.

Cougar

starting a thread to say you don’t like something

… that he didn’t watch.

darthpunk
    Free Member

I liked it, brutal and Bjork 5 minutes of madness…….should I start a new thread?

dudeofdoom

TBH it could be worse- you could have watched the latest Matrix film 🙁

desperatebicycle

I’m going to see Men next week. And probably Everything Everywhere All At Once (maybe tomorrow).
    I’ll start a thread for each. 😀 Although I won’t pay £16 cos I have free tickets from Lloyds Bank).

Oh, also, I watched Rise of the Footsoldier off my Sky box on Saturday night. That one isn’t worthy of a thread.

hels
    Free Member

I thought The Northman was excellent – one of the best films I have seen in ages. But then I liked The Witch and The Lighthouse so a fan!

fasthaggis

Saw it at the cinema few weeks back. Bloody great. Bonkers, but great.

^^ Yup,that’s what I thought.
    Big screen fun where Hamlet meets Conan the Barbarian in a Norse folk tale 👍🙃😉

johnx2
    Free Member

It’s going to lose a lot of money, apparently, which probably ain’t great for big budget indie generally.

We were the only people in a large auditorium (Bradford museum of film/imax place), which was little weird and a bit of a first, which again is odd given most of what we watch is subtitled from the original azerbaijani or whatever.

I thought it was okay, in a tonked bonkersly along kind of way, though I wasn’t sure why I was meant to care what happened to any of the characters.

Main plot was the dude from Big Little Lies has done some deadlifting (vote of approval from my wife). And Björk comes on and basically Björks for 5 mins, which I think we can all get behind?

plus-one

Ok maybe I’m used to films being jazzed up and embellished hollywood style 🙁

But it’s dull dull dull(ok only lasted 30mins) but i was literally falling asleep !!

Watched Vikings and Last kingdom and enjoyed both immensely.

A supercharged version of either would have done me 🙁

devash
    Free Member

Horses for courses. I absolutely loved it. A great antidote to all the boring superhero movies that have clogged the multiplexes over the past decade.

I’m glad that there’s still some appetite for risk left in Hollywood that allows people like Robert Eggers to make original stuff like this. Wasn’t quite as bonkers as The Lighthouse though, which is still my favourite.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Plus-one, did you like The Witch or The Lighthouse?

I really liked both of those. When i saw the add for Northman i thought he had gone all Hollywood. So im pleased to see that it isn’t the case.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not to be confused with Norsemen, obviously.

dudeofdoom

And Björk comes on and basically Björks for 5 mins

I didn’t realise it was Björk !!!

blokeuptheroad

It was a bit weird, not quite what I was expecting, but entertaining nonetheless in a dark, trippy kind of way!  I saw it midweek it in a small community cinema mainly populated by quite elderly people who I think habitually go to anything new.  There were some bemused and worried looks on a few faces!

bigdean

And probably Everything Everywhere All At Once (maybe tomorrow).

Now that is a bat s#$t crazy film, I thought it was a great alternative to usual marvel stuff churned out at the min.

How crazy? one part is a lesbian Jamie Lee Curtis with hot dogs for fingers playing the piano with her feet for her girlfriend.

w00dster

I really enjoyed The Northman. Genuine story telling film. Was hard to always keep a track of everything that was said, but even so thoroughly enjoyed it. Was one of the first films in ages that 1 hour after watching it both me and the Mrs were still talking about it.
    We went to the cinema to watch it and glad we did.

plus-one

After me getting panned on here I’ve sat down and watched the whole film. Ok it’s ok but still never wowed me 🤷‍♂️ But horses for courses etc !!

markrh
    Free Member

i agree with Plus-one,it’s a dud.

Klunk
    Free Member

Now that is a bat s#$t crazy film

a brilliant film, highly amusing, original and off the wall. “Racoontouille” 🙂 Thought the Northman was just slow and a bit dull really.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.