Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • The Night Manager (spoilers!)
  • richmars

Very enjoyable. But I wasn’t expecting a happy ending.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The Beeb doesnt need to afford it, the yanks funded it.

richmars

Joint funded, the BBC paid for some of it.

geoffj

Very enjoyable. But I wasn’t expecting a happy endin

Indeed – a bit too cheesy really.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Better than Downton to finish a Sunday evening – well done Auntie. Some very good drama at the moment. Didn’t expect a happy ending for all the “goodies”!

nickc

enjoyed that.

spacemonkey

An eminently watchable finale … but the manner in which events contrived together was BS.

jamj1974

I liked it

wallop

I thought it was a bit lame. Slick and sexy, with some bits unexpected, but overall not a real gripper.

Hiddleston still totally flicks my switch though. Hubba.

Scapegoat

How come his trousers were dry when he got back to the hotel?

Houns

What scapegoat said, and why didn’t more people notice him back at the hotel he worked at

Scapegoat

How did Burr get to Egypt? No airline would carry a passenger who was somewhere between 9 and 12 months pregnant. Despite that I actually enjoyed it all immensely.

theotherjonv

Very hot in Egypt even at night, those linen trousers would dry in seconds.

Burr would have been smuggled secretly in by the americans, using a secret plane that’s so secret we aren’t allowed to see it on TV.

He avoided being recognised by the hotel he used to manage by changing his name, and having slightly shorter hair. And mind tricks.

Now a confession…. I’m useless at recognising faces, I once spoke to my mum and dad’s next door neighbour, who I had lived next door to for 20-odd years, without recognising who he was until conversation revealed it.

I spent two episodes thinking ‘wow, that tall warrior girl off GoT scrubs up really really well’

nickc

Are you one of “those” people? 😆 You do know it’s not real, right? that it’s a work of fiction?

theotherjonv

Just because the story isn’t real doesn’t mean the technology isn’t realistic. They have all those things, including the secret plane we weren’t allowed to see, and the fast drying trousers that we were.

There’s a bloke in my local who used to be in the regiment. He doesn’t like to talk about it, what with the things he’s seen, but buy him a couple of pints and he loosens up. That’s how I know about these things, I’d tell you more but I’m on a watch list myself.

richmars

And another thing, where did he transfer the first $300 million to? If I did that it would be rejected due to money laundering rules.
    Still a great bit of TV.

theotherjonv

Paypal gift to his bank account. Then once he withdraws it from that, no-one can get their hands on it, as long as he has a posting receipt for a shoebox full of stones. Fact.

nickc

If ever I need to do spy things, and have self exploding trousers or instant drying underpants, I’m going to employ theotherjonv as my Q

MrWoppit
    Free Member

and how come all the truck drivers knew their vehicles were about to explode?

And I noticed that TV-style violence is still de riguer. Jed’s magically-healing face after being bashed around by Flossy (or whatever his name was). I got punched in the face once. Swelled up like a balloon and took a week to deflate…

geoffj

and how come all the truck drivers knew their vehicles were about to explode?

I assumed they were associates of the chef’s brother.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Weren’t they all Roper’s mercenaries? Wouldn’t “Jamie” have noticed the switch? Did I miss something?

rOcKeTdOg

Where was Jeeves in all this? He would have saved the Day for Bertie

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bri-nylon.

binners

There’s probably a more petty and joyless thing to do than pick apart drama’s on the strength of how fast someones trousers dry.

I just can’t think of it at the moment.

You do know it’s not a documentary, right?

Absolutely bloody brilliant telly! Not even the fast drying trousers spoiled it for me. I think Hugh Laurie did a cracking job of being a right malevolent bastard! Clearly loving every minute of it! 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

And Loki killed the Rev while his wife was pregnant!

Scapegoat

Don’t get me wrong, it didn’t spoil it for me, I thoroughly enjoyed it in my simply wondering sort of way. My joyless state has been assuaged thanks to informative reasoning, and karma restored.

Were they easy iron as well? Bri-nylon rather than linen I suspect, or more likely polyester. Hope he put his shoes on the shoe tree to dry.

natrix
    Free Member

There’s a bloke in my local who used to be in the regiment

They’ve got some great quick drying trousers in the Special Forces, really high-tech stuff. In the fims they ask questions about the colour of the boat house and all that jazz, but in real life it’s all about how fast your trousers can dry out 8)

Of course the SBS have the fastest trousers on account of all the messing baout in boats that they do, man their trousers are fast…

There was this one time, in Dubai, one of the lads fell in a swimming pool, oh boy you should have seen his trousers dry!!!

xico
    Free Member

I have read everything le Carre has ever written (at least twice!) and I can’t get enough of his work. This was obviously not true to the book, but a brilliant TV drama, nonetheless, with great casting, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My favourite bit:

“What is zat out zerre? It is the sea! Zere are many ‘appy lobstares laugheeng at your Michelin starred sea-food restaurant….”

jonnym92

I enjoyed it. Thought the ending would be different mind. Good Sunday evening viewing.

slowoldman

Agree with Mr Woppit. Corky was the star turn.

benp1

Anyone know how to get episode 1? I’ve got 2-6 on my Sky+ box but can’t find 1

AlexSimon

I enjoyed it too – a few plot holes and undeveloped bits, but overall very enjoyable nonsense.
    Main cast were all excellent.

Great to see a fixed-length short TV show. Getting a bit tired of unspecified-length US shows either filling or ending abruptly depending on the whims of networks.

May I also recommend Generation Kill if you can find it.

AlexSimon

benp1 – Member

Anyone know how to get episode 1? I’ve got 2-6 on my Sky+ box but can’t find 1 Looks like it’s just gone off iPlayer too.

andyl
    Free Member

if you are desperate you can rent the individual episodes on Amazon TV (just need a smart TV/DVD etc that has the Amazon app not a dedicated Amazon box)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As in the modern way I ended up watching it over 3 nights, with the final episode last night.

On the whole I really enjoyed it, understated only one or two explosions and no real how do we get out of this one (cue ad break) set up’s much like tinker tailor. Great acting and Hugh not being so much a bad guy just a slightly upper class rich man who’s business isn’t legal. He can threaten without using guns.

I wish I’d seen it over the 6 weeks though, rushing through it felt like it was an over long film rather than a compact TV series (spooks vs 24)

As for Bond my money would be on
    Tom Hardy (mad max was actually a good adution tape for ond in the Daniel Craig mould) or Idris Elba in the lead

colournoise

In many ways, Legend was a better Bond audition tape for Hardy. Charm, cruelty to women and violence. Plus demonstrated he can actually get through an entire performance with decent diction…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not see Legend, on the list for later when bored

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘The Night Manager (spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.