Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • The Night Manager (spoilers!)
  • batfink
    Free Member

Anyone else watched this yet? I suppose I probably count as a LeCarre fan, but I thought this was chuffin marvelous.

Casting seems really good – great role for Olivia Coleman, and Hugh seems to fit the bad-guy really well.

I can’t decide whether to get the book and read ahead…

geoffj

Visually very nice too – some amazing locations.
    Odd seeing Hugh Laurie as the bad guy though.

richmars

There was an interview with LaCarre in one of the papers last weekend. Lots of changes from the book (with his agreement).

batfink
    Free Member

There was an interview with LaCarre in one of the papers last weekend. Lots of changes from the book (with his agreement).

Hmm – I think the paperback has only been out for a while, so I assumed that was an effort from him to keep selling a few, even though people had just watched it on telly.

Also….. Aure Atika:

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Lots of changes from the book

Well, yeah. Burr was a bloke in the book…

DrJ

Also….. Aure Atika:

Then you need to watch Spin, in which her character is still alive and well.

MoreCashThanDash

Recorded this and not got round to watching it yet. Think lunchtime viewing has been decided. Bargain Hunt can wait!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I wanted to like it but despite the cast found the script and plotting clunky. Next to recent shows like London Spy it felt tame – there was no real sense of jeopardy

Part of the problem might have been that all I could think of was

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I believe it’s been around a while – since the early ’90s. It’s pretty good if memory serves – and I’m not a huge Le Carré fan – but I’m aiming to watch the adaptation anyway.

batfink
    Free Member

’93 apparently…. NINETEEN YEARS AGO. Bloody hell.

MoreCashThanDash

Just watched it. Lovely production, had a slight sensation Hugh Laurie was playing it for laughs which took the edge of it for me. Looking forward to next week though.

IdleJon

I wanted to like it but despite the cast found the script and plotting clunky.

I was the same. The whole story starts because Sophie wants to make copies of extremely sensitive documents……. so she trusts them to some random bloke in a hotel to copy? My belief in any plausibility started wavering immediately.

ninfan
    Free Member

Somewhat undermined by the seemingly random nature of the Inventory of dodgy weaponry for sale:

Hmm, Trident D5 missiles and Vulcan Bombers for sale eh? I’ll take two of each…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s quite a warehouse they’ve got.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Loved it. Big fan of tom which helps. I also laughed at the list, it was such a silly mix. Ak47 or a f22? I will take both…

Houns

What idlejohn said

I want to like it but it all comes together all too easily

mattbee

Do you reckon they will have a 35% off clearance sale like Planet X?
    Stock list seems as consistent.

slowoldman

’93 apparently…. NINETEEN YEARS AGO. Bloody hell.

Interesting Independent article from ’92 re. Interarms in Salford (and Le Carre).
    Interarms article

slowoldman

I’m not sure I would have taken on the job.

Stevet1
    Free Member

wasn’t really sure what the stuff going on in Devon was for in last nights episode – if it was a backstory then it was kinda odd?

LoCo
    Free Member

As odd as the west country accents….

jimdubleyou

wasn’t really sure what the stuff going on in Devon was for in last nights episode….

Building his legend so that Hugh Laurie and Tom Hollander believe he’s worthy of being inducted into the their organisation.

mefty
    Free Member

Next to recent shows like London Spy it felt tame – there was no real sense of jeopardy

I sincerely hope it won’t turn out to be worse than London Spy – that was awful.

wrecker
    Free Member

Building his legend so that Hugh Laurie and Tom Hollander believe he’s worthy of being inducted into the their organisation.

Needed a good reason to be on the run from the Uk too.

kimbers

still not convinced by hugh laurie, tbh

but its enjoyable, if somewhat cliched

Stevet1
    Free Member

Needed a good reason to be on the run from the Uk too.

But they made it look like he had died? Also later they asked for a load of stuff to be made up so why bother concocting this weak backstory of a small time drug dealer. Didn’t really get why he used the alias of the ex of the local girl either.

tthew

Didn’t really get why he used the alias of the ex of the local girl either.

Because he’d never had a passport before, so no old records for Dr House to go and check back on for photo’s/travel history etc.

mefty
    Free Member

but its enjoyable, if somewhat cliched

Which is what you expect for its Sunday night timeslot.

mark90
    Free Member

But they made it look like he had died?

Or that he killed someone, ie the bloke who he had an altercation in the pub.

johnx2
    Free Member

okay, I’m enjoying this for the hocum it is, but feel the need to pick up on a few points:

– the shopping list: twitter thinks this is meant to be a joke, for the entertainment of geeky freezeframers, eg it has the Trident D5LE that’s only due to enter service on US/US subs in 2017. It’s not quite ‘deathstar’ or BFG-9000, but in that direction.

– they made it look like he’d committed a murder. As well as being well badass amongst the rustic rude mechanicals. That would be the first thing I’d do on moving into Doc Martin type village – beat up the local dealer and then tell him I was expecting a big shipment in a week or so…

Anyway, I think the guy from blackadder does fine, but tom hollander’s acts excellent short. And the civil servants are good, obviously. Le Carré characters tend to spend more time in meetings and reading endless hard-copy files, than James Bond would tend to do.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Most unbelievable bit of the whole show?

Olivia Colman – clearly pregnant enough for people to notice and comment, 4 months on maybe?, recruits Loki in Switzerland.

6 months later, according to the caption, She’s swanning round Mallorca, still pregnant, but not massively so.

Will be watching future episodes closely to see just how overdue this baby turns out to be.
    I reckon a gestation period of 18 months is not unrealistic.

stever
    Free Member

Well made enjoyable tosh, that looked at times like an extended try out for Daniel Craig’s vacated slot. Laurie, Colman, Hollander all great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think I’d have gone for a swim, myself….

Oh, and stever, you’re right – Bond audition!

richmars

Building up nicely.

jakehinton
    Free Member

The Devon bits were filmed a few miles from me and a couple of friends were extras in it. Im quite enjoying it but cant really get my head round Hugh Laurie as a baddy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pish.

Rev…and Laurie…playing hardmen?

johndoh
    Free Member

Apart from a nice few locations and some pretty faces , it’s all been a bit underwhelming for me. Three episodes in and basically nothing has happened.

mefty
    Free Member

Three episodes in and basically nothing has happened.

It is John Le Carre, not James Bond, the big stuff happens in meetings.

wallop

I’m enjoying this, and – oh my – who is this handsome Hiddleston chap I’ve never seen before? *swoons*

He’s getting my vote for Bond.

jimdubleyou

Rev… …playing hardmen?

Not seen him in Hanna than?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘The Night Manager (spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.