Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • The nicest car you owned
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

This was mine…

Had it for 6 years as a daily all year round drive was 20 years old when I bought it. Didn’t miss a beat. Sold it for the same I bought it for, though invested in a couple of ‘choice’ mods’. Did everything brilliantly – great for long GT style drives, could hack it round a track all day as hard as you like and was great fun. Classic ’80’s car, massive turbo lag, but like jumping to hyperspace when the turbo did kick in. Handled brilliantly. Needed just enough respect to not be so care free due to lack of traction control, but wouldn’t kill you instantly if you did overcook it at any point.

Wish I’d kept it, but family requirements finally won. It was fine when we only had one kid, but when number 2 came along common sense had to kick in.

jamesoz

Wobbliscott did you once donate me a turbo gearbox with a broken diff?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

E39 530i M sport back in 2002.

Was fun, fast, shopping, did everything workhorse and travelled Europe in it.

E39

Now have a Mini JCW lol as I wanted smaller and fast, easy to park auto.

Been great but noise from run flats.  Still makes me chuckle when after I get out.  Paintwork is delicate though.  Crazy fast.

Mini

sbob
    Free Member

SCHNELL!!! SCHNELL!!!

Image result for 2000 e39 m5

E39 M5.

Dead comfy, nice big boot, very easy to drive.

Then you hit the sport button, launch yourself to 60mph in less than 5secs and onwards to a theoretical top speed of 187mph.

It’ll have you laughing all the way to the next tyre fitters, via the petrol station.

P-Jay
    Free Member

This is remarkably close to mine, bar I had the ‘big bumpers from the later model. It was my first car and being a bit of a Div I concentrated on trying to make it faster rather than fixing the Borked suspension bushes and boring stuff like that. Sold it for a Mk3 VR6 which was a total rust bucket, incredibly thirsty and a bit crap really.

richardkennerley

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>bearnecessities
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Richard – was intrigued by yours and think I’ve just found the current owner

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Yeah I’ve seen it mentioned on a few ford forums over the years, think it changed hands a few times. I imagine it’s locked away somewhere now.

If I could, I’d actually have a series 2 again, the ones I had were a bit rough round the edges, but I’d love a minter. Roll on the lotto win.

</div>

bearnecessities

I reckon it’s probably still that guy – it passed its last MOT but was then SORN. Lovely car though 🙂

Anyhow, matthew_h wins the thread!

BadlyWiredDog

One of these. Fast enough. Makes nice noises. Handles. And mostly people don’t know what it is. VW Corrado VR6 .

kcal

Another MkII Golf GTI here, 8v, it was my companion on so many hill trips and just refused to die. I sold it on, it went on fire – and was still repaired.. Pirelli wheels, rust not optional, sunroof as well. Ever reliable. B 301 XTS.

Nicest in terms of load carrying, G reg Saab 900S, nothing fancy, or fast, but solid as hell.

G 875 RSH

Kryton57

I used to have a 330i auto just like this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JDiK9a]bmw-330i-m-sport-silver-2002-1080-1[/url]

I loved that car and it took me 100,000 miles plus in pure delight.  I sold it to unfitgeezer who moved it on minutes later.  I much regret what happened after, buying a problematic Alfa 159 diesel:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rur2Si]image[/url]

…which as I later discovered whilst driving through Aynesford in Kent which according to the marker was only 6″ deep at the time died a hydrolocked death due to an intake located in the front wheel arch – how very italian.  A rushed 120d purchase was three years of actually not that bad, but I needed more laid-back driving.

Hence, I just bought a current MY 320d Touring MSport auto.  I can honestly say with the revised suspension & NRFLT it is the best car I’ve owned – its very luxurious and easy to live with whilst covering my bike/kids taxi needs, whilst cruising easily down the m/way.  Yes there are bigger and better estates no doubt and the BMW haterz will scoff, but all economy & cost taken into account I’m very happy with it.  For now at least its the pinnacle of my car buying experience, whilst perhaps not being very rare, exclusive or brag-worthy.  I did at least buy one in Essex white with privacy glass and dark satin smoke wheels so it does look different, in an mean Joey Essex/wannabe gangsta kind of way.

CountZero

One of these. Fast enough. Makes nice noises. Handles. And mostly people don’t know what it is. VW Corrado VR6 .

Mmmmmm, much yummyness!

died a hydrolocked death due to an intake located in the front wheel arch – how very italian.

Not only Italian, a friend killed a Renault, Megane I believe, driving to work in Malmesbury and had to go through a flooded section of road. Garage it was towed to had two or three others there…

epicyclo

I miss this one. It was a bare metal resto done by a friend who passed it on to me just before he died. It drove like a new car.

Left it in Oz with my son when I came here. Unfortunately it got turned into scrap by a speeding idiot in a Landcruiser

julians
    Free Member

Not the nicest ( that would be my current bmw m4) but my favourite car was a tvr cerbera i had in 1999.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

“Wobbliscott did you once donate me a turbo gearbox with a broken diff?”

Jamesoz – could well have been. Seems a long time ago I can’t remember the details now but rings a bell. I think it was a work colleague of mine who munched his diff so got a donor gearbox, swapped out the diff’s and he gave it to me as a spare just in case, I then passed it on as it was cluttering up my already cluttered up garage. Did you fit the gearbox in the end? I hope it gave you many miles of trouble free motoring!

gavinpearce
    Free Member

1994 1.1 fiesta in a sort of green/grey.  Had it as a student when in Newcastle.  Oxfordshire to Newcastle easy.  So reliable.  Cost me nothing in repairs.  Eventually sold it with 189k on clock.  Also probably the worse car I owned in reality!!  Loved it.

BadlyWiredDog

Mmmmmm, much yummyness!

Thanks! The funny thing is that it’s the car I’d buy if I won the lottery, but I already own it. I have simple tastes really, I spent 20-odd years riding very fast motorcycles, which slightly perversely means I’m not particularly bothered about super fast cars. I’m attached to my Mk2 GTi as well, but the Corrado is a bit more special, the VR6 just sounds awesome 🙂

The only other car I’m remotely interested in is the Porsche 911.

somafunk

Choice of two, both VW’s

Immaculate GT with Twin webbers, polybushed, basic bilstein shocks/springs, uprated anti roll bars and upper/lower strut brace (a notorious flex point on mk1 golfs/mk1/2 scirocco), lairy cam and flowed head, uprated brakes – unfortunately killed by a farmer who dropped a trailer load of gravel over the road.

ABT built/tuned 16v engine 192BHP, Stand alone engine/ignition/fuelling, custom stainless exhaust/4 branch manifold, polybushed, Bilstein B12 shocks/springs, eibach springs/anti roll bars, uprated brakes, Quaiffe diff, close ratio box/quickshift – not the most practical as it only really does 20mpg and at 60mph it’s doing 3600rpm, from 4000rpm it changes character, never fails to put a smile on your face as it revs freely to 8500rpm and spits and barks on the overrun/downshifts with a very nice grumble from the exhaust, not bad for a near enough 35 yr old car.

Perfect car to go hunting down lesser vehicles in the galloway hills (said with tongue in cheek humour before i get slain by the tree huggers), still got it but it’s up the workshop getting bodywork done.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Saab 9-5 aero hot

Loved it, quick and the best long distance car I’ve ever driven. A great place to be.

BadlyWiredDog

ABT built/tuned 16v engine 192BHP, Stand alone engine/ignition/fuelling, custom stainless exhaust/4 branch manifold, polybushed, Bilstein B12 shocks/springs, eibach springs/anti roll bars, uprated brakes, Quaiffe diff, close ratio box/quickshift – not the most practical as it only really does 20mpg and at 60mph it’s doing 3600rpm, from 4000rpm it changes character, never fails to put a smile on your face as it revs freely to 8500rpm and spits and barks on the overrun/downshifts with a very nice grumble from the exhaust, not bad for a near enough 35 yr old car.

That’s kind of lovely. My Mk2’s an 8-valve with a TSR motor, slightly lowered on Konis, branch manifold, Jetex and selective poly-bushings – nothing like as tweaked as yours, but still really good fun. My original Mk2 – same motor – was a bit lower and stiffer, but brutal over bumps and humps.

Shame about your Scirocco, looks lovely. Guy across the road owned one when I was a kid, always loved the look of it, it’s probably what started the VW thing for me.

hot_fiat

Have had two of these over the last 8 years. I’m utterly smitten with them. Really well sorted little hot hatch. Just big enough to squeeze my alpine 6 into but has also stepped up to the mark and taken us all (me, wife, 2 kids and the dog, yes, really!) on holiday when our old Yeti lunched it’s prop shaft couplings.

First one had 160bhp with a teeny wizzy IHI turbo that gave it almost electric torque characteristics. The current one has 180 with a big growly, whistly Garrett that makes it sound like a Russian armoured personnel carrier humping a vaporetti. It’s got a proper diff, Koni FSDs and massive brembos that will cripple my wallet when they need replacing.

I still look back and smile at it after every journey.

Klunk
    Free Member

I did have one of these for a while

absolutely mental, massive doors, gave me a bad back, would sound like a bag of nails after 1000 miles

maxtorque

Not the fastest car i’ve owned

Not the best handling car i’ve owned

Not the most reliable car i’ve owned.

But, the car that would always force a quick look over my shoulder after parking it and walking away from it:

onandon
    Free Member

I also had a tuned mk2 16v golf gti

oak green 2 door big bumper with a 2.1 stealth racing tuned motor on k-Star engine management.

Always had issues with the 5injector until I blew it up on the m4 after a track day at castle Combe.

Inbred456
    Free Member

EA86 Corolla CoupeSaab Aero T16

Between these 2 for me. I wish I still had the Corolla Coupe AE86 although the T16 Saab had 238k on it when I sold it. (Same models and colour as above but not the actual cars.) Both great cars in their own way. That Lancia is very nice.

slackalice
    Free Member

With all this talk about quick Golf’s, Scirocco’s, Corrado’s etc… Over the course of about 5 years, I turned an immaculate Mk1 1.8 Lhasa Green GTi, into this for Hillclimb and Sprints

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25xCwPb]Race car 1[/url] by Tim Betts, on Flickr

2 litre, 8v, fully balanced, lightened, ported, flowed, with Weber Alpha, 5 speed helical VW Motorsport box with Quaife LSD. Coil over platforms and a bit of funky stuff with cambers and toe. Fully lightened, plastic tailgate, bonnet, Perspex side and rear windows… yadda yadda yadda… A lot of time and money.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LaKDk7]Race Car 2[/url] by Tim Betts, on Flickr

I cant remember it’s weight, however, I do recall launching it up the strip at TRL and they timed 0-60 in 4.3secs, which was fun 😃

In hindsight I would now go for a 16v head, the lowered final drive from an early 1600 GTi was possibly the best mod of the lot and with the cr gearbox, a higher revving engine to deliver the torque and power would have been more driveable and quicker through the bends. I’d also use a LHD Scirocco, for better weight balance and longer wheelbase. When I win the lottery that is! 😂

jamesoz

Jamesoz – could well have been. Seems a long time ago I can’t remember the details now but rings a bell. I think it was a work colleague of mine who munched his diff so got a donor gearbox, swapped out the diff’s and he gave it to me as a spare just in case, I then passed it on as it was cluttering up my already cluttered up garage. Did you fit the gearbox in the end? I hope it gave you many miles of trouble free motoring!

Small world!

It kept my 2.7 going until terminal rust killed it. It was in my 3L turbo for a bit, but the extra torque and paddle clutch combined with my hamfisted driving killed it and cracked the torque tube.

Thanks again and sorry I broke it!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Bloody love that Integrale!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Not my car but had the same model and colour. In the 4 years I had it not a thing went wrong with it (and I drove it how it was meant to, when conditions allowed obviously 😉) hit the V-tech and omg it went batshit mental. Handled like a dream, fast enough for me and Surprisingly comfy. Ended up selling it due to the rocketing fuel prices at the time. £1:20 for super unleaded, it was only 89p when we first bought the car. Claimed figures was 34mpg combined but it was nearer 20 when you drove it how it should be. Still kick myself for getting rid, it was immaculate with not a mark on it 😩

https://flic.kr/p/28iEM9v

brakes
    Free Member

niceset I owned – nicest I wrote off

restored ’72 1300 in Vauxhall Frontera purple (lol)

sbob
    Free Member

Big love for the Corrado.

sbob
    Free Member

I did have one of these for a while

Bet you wish you still did! Big money motor these days.

Far less special but I learnt to drive in a 350BHp 2WD Sapphire Cosworth, which was nice.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Oddly enough the nicest car I’ve owned is the cheapest……

Volvo 940

Bought 24 hrs before it was due to be scrapped but had £10k spent on it in the previous 5 years.

When it was purchased new it was the most expensive Volvo you could buy, and whoever bought it ordered pretty much every extra as well…

Lots of little niggles sorted and runs 2″ lower on 17″ steels and Bilstein suspension. Shown in its Euro look with roof tray and other bits bolted on…

Its a lovely car and I can’t think of any car I’ve sat in which has seats this comfortable, they are simply astonishing. The load capacity is beyond amazing too, being a foot longer than a new Passat (but having a turning circle 3m smaller!).

Steadfastly refuses to fail MOT.

hodgynd
    Free Member

All this talk of VW’s ..

I’ve already contributed with my favourite ( Touareg )..but a few years earlier I had a Polo GTI on a W plate from new ..terrific fun and one of the first cars to have Xenon lights as standard ..spent most of my night driving flashing back at other drivers who thought I was on full beam ..pearlesant black and only a short two year ( roughly ) production run.

Interesting to see a new polo gti relaunched this year ..

steve_b77
    Free Member

Probably not the nicest in the general sense of the term, but this is without doubt my favorite car I’ve owned.

It was a bogo Honda Civic EG6 VTi when I bought it with redundancy money (had another job lined up) from the early 00’s source of all things Honda, West Yorkshire.

It ended up looking like this, a whole host of JDM parts including Gates speaker system, carbon bonnet, Spoon Carbon front lip, mirrors & rear spoiler, stripped interior inc most of the sound proofing, seats and original carpet and a fully built from the sump up 1800cc VTEC DOHC engine, with new high compression internals, head work with port matched intake manifold & throttle body, the mentioned sump, oil cooler, cams and all the associated bits, stainless headers, HKS Hyper Race exhaust that was rather civilised under 4000rpm and then absolutely mental once VTEC kicked in (Yo!), close ratio ‘box with new final drive, 1.5 way LSD, lightweight flywheel & paddle clutch, custom tuned ECU

Volk CE28 wheels, billet suspension arms, coilovers, uprated roll bars, Cusco top & bottom braces front & rear and epic levels of stopping power thanks to the NSX brakes.

Turned into a rather bonkers home built 1000kg 234bhp mini Jap wagon, that got a full blown cover feature on Japanese Performance Magazine.

Sold it to a scouser who promptly tried to sell it for a profit and ended up breaking it for parts.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Mechanically brilliant….death by electronics.

jimdubleyou

Not quite the correct year, mine was an X-reg. Otherwise the same, 225BHP, quattro, Golf in a dress.

Had to go as it simply wasn’t practical for taking 4 (or even 2 really) people to the mountains.

Image result for 2000 audi tt mk1 roadster baseball silver

DezB
    Free Member

One of these –

Image result for triumph 2000

Actually have owned 3 – two at the same time at one point, but the first one, burgundy, J reg, with 30,000 miles on it, was exceptional. Luxury motoring at 19 years old 🙂

tazzymtb

RS4- Made a great noise, was shocking in traffic and cost me an arm and leg as a fully expensed company car and was an inverse Tardis- in that there was more cabin space in an original fiat 500.

Also had all sorts of other germanic high performance stuff and then thought screw giving all this money to the tax man to sit in traffic on a daily maul  around country.

Now drive far more mundane things that muddy bikes can get throw into and saved over 9K in tax a year by being less of petrol head 🙂

DrP

Gobuchul…”Thinking of getting a s/h Ciivc Type R in a couple of years, when they are cheap enough.”

Me too…again!
    We used to have a 54 plate Type-R – great car, rapid, spacey, and just felt cool to drive.

I often look in the autotrader, and price up what it would cost to get a CTR, turbo, and intercooler… 400bph right there!

DrP

philjunior
    Free Member

ST200

It sounded nice when revved, cornered well, great traction (even better after I replaced the broken diff).

A lot of niggles though, and got through suspension components like they were made of cheese, then started not being able to get parts reliably when Arnold Clark started supplying them. 🙁 Felt a bit upset when I started it up to drive it onto the trailer when it sold. I’d bought something boring to replace it.

I sold it, was a bit concerned about a couple of buts of the underside/subframes in the medium to long term, a friend of a friend bought it a month or two later, I held my breath until they sold it again after a year or two.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘The nicest car you owned’ is closed to new replies.