Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The new Trek Top Fuel mixes uphill efficiency with downhill performance
  • singletrackandi

The Trek Top Fuel was once considered the goto XC bike, but times have changed and the Top Fuel now blurs the line between XC and trail. We know that …

By singletrackandi

Get the full story on our front page at:

The new Trek Top Fuel mixes uphill efficiency with downhill performance

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

Brainflex

What’s a for too?

“compatible with a 130mm for too.”

Ben_H

130mm fork, too?

roger_mellie

From £2550 (or £2250 frame only) in case anyone was wondering…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Christ, you could buy a chameleon full build for that! 🤣🤣

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“Downcountry….”

Marketing BS at it’s nauseating fing worst..

petedee
    Free Member

Seems exactly like the Fuel Ex was in 2018. My 2018 Fuel Ex 9.8 is lighter than the top fuel 9.8. 🙄 minimal changes, stupid prices. Welcome to the bike market, 2021.

Kuco

I don’t give a shit what Trek wants to call it, it’s an xc/trail bike. Downcountry is just marketing bullshit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Xc/trail were surely just marketing bullshit at one point too? 😆

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

The previous Trek Top Fuel (2020/2021) was capable of a 130mm fork, so Trek have been taking the Top Fuel that direction for a while.

The additional 10mm reach, 1.5 degree slacker HA and steeper seat tube I think completes the transition away from the Top Fuel previously being their ‘race bike’ – the S’Cal is that now.

I brought my 2020 Top Fuel wanting a fast XC bike that could handle some gnar – and I’ve been incredibly pleased with it. Not wanting to annoy the niche haters, but fitting out my Top Fuel in full #downcountry spec made it capable of keeping up with bigger bikes. A decent set of tyres and inserts meant that, like a hardtail, skill suddenly becomes the limiting factor.

I’m intrigued to ride the new TF, but they’re huge money now and I’m not sure I want to move so far away from the steeper angles I have on my 2020 model. Certainly, a shock tune, a set of 130mm forks with 35mm stanchions and decent tyres, and really, there isn’t much difference. Consider that the 2020 TF came with a 70mm stem – so any shorter stem will bring it in line with a 2022.

I would love the little compartment tho – although I have one on my Slash and I’ve still not worked out what to use it for.

Kuco

Xc/trail were surely just marketing bullshit at one point too? 😆

Yea about 30 years ago.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yea about 30 years ago

Ballocks. They were just mountain bikes 30 years ago.

ampthill

I looked at these when i bought my Neuron. Great idea, craxy prices. Even comparing in house to a Fuel ex

Northwind

It seems to be quite a lot like a 2015 remedy tbh

bigrich

Ballocks. They were just mountain bikes 30 years ago

Errrr, Mountain biking was full marketing bullpigs back then.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

They are a lot of ££ but it strikes me so is every similar bike? I’m torn between one of these and more trail hardtail. I can’t decide if one of these will make my local Marple/ peaks trails feel too easy?

I already have a Scott scale that’s fine but has non tubeless rims and rubbish suntour fork so could keep that for xc, gravel rides, marathons and have a new bike for local trails and longer marathons if needed.

Will I regret a full sus given I can’t jump, don’t ride trail centres more than once a year, etc?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The new Trek Top Fuel mixes uphill efficiency with downhill performance’ is closed to new replies.