Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The new Google Maps
  • PJay
    Free Member

I have preview access to the new Google Maps and although I’ve only played around briefly it does look very smart; it has a bicycling specific function that highlights dedicated bicycle lanes, bike friendly roads and trails.

You have to request access to the preview from the current Google Maps site but it’s well worth getting an early look.

officialtob
    Free Member

it has a bicycling specific function that highlights dedicated bicycle lanes, bike friendly roads and trails.

This is on the current version of Google Maps – or is it different on the new one?

PJay
    Free Member

Doh! I never actually spotted in on the old one! It looks very similar but overall the new Google Maps is looking rather good.

– Edit – Actually, following the link to the old version of Google Maps lands me straight back into the preview version (no wonder they looked the same) so I’m now somewhat unsure how the two compare.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have the new version, it’s harder to find streetview, and it’s harder on bandwidth too.

Cougar

Motorways are orange. Didn’t get much further than that as it crashed my browser.

I can see where they’re going with it, but they’re either going to do a lot of optimising or offer a ‘lite’ version.

PJay
    Free Member

The new version runs webGL to provide 3D functionality. If you run on a non-webGL enabled browser (like Internet Explorer) a Lite version runs automatically; I’d be surprised if a webGL enabled browser wouldn’t allow Maps to be configured to run the Lite version.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is it available on Andriod yet?

cheers_drive

My problem with Google maps is that nt normal road map view it shows every single waterway, however small. Around here in The Fens that’s a real issue as there are thousand of drainage channels which are hard to distinguish from the droves unless zoomed right in. Small problem but annoying non the less. Oh and Bing has OS maps which is handy too.

Cougar

The new version runs webGL to provide 3D functionality.

So that’s Firefox and Chrome then.

IIRC, Safari supports WebGL but you have to specifically enable it first.

nickjb
    Free Member

Is it available on Andriod yet?

google maps on android shows cycle routes.

jekkyl

The current Google maps may have a cycling option but it’s woefully inadequate. Half the sustrans routes round my way & all the local ones don’t show up. I tried to find a way of pointing them out to Google but couldn’t find any way.

andytherocketeer

Had a very quick play with the maps engine lite.
    Got some pretty handy ways of visualising data from external sources (spreadsheets, google docs, etc.), rather than just a static “My Maps”.
    Imported one of my Maps mostly OK, but loses half the pushpin icons and replaces with default though.
    If that’s going to be the new maps, I hope they hide most of the editing bits until you want to actually edit/create a map. 99% of use is surely just looking at a map, finding destination and a route there?

edit: didn’t check bike routes, but assumed it was the same half arsed thing as before. will look tonight. tend to use opencyclemap for that anyway.

ransos
    Free Member

The current Google maps may have a cycling option but it’s woefully inadequate. Half the sustrans routes round my way & all the local ones don’t show up. I tried to find a way of pointing them out to Google but couldn’t find any way

I find the OSM cycle map is much better at showing cycle routes.

molgrips
    Free Member

The cycling option does do some interesting things, like keep you away from traffic, but ime it can add miles. If I am cycling somewhere I tend to start with the walking option, check the cycling option, then scrutinise some more options using the map and streetview.

jamiea
    Free Member

Not keen on the navigation tools being moved!

Cheers,
    Jamie

jamiea
    Free Member

I have the new version, it’s harder to find streetview,

I like it better, it seems quicker to load too. Still need to be less clunky overall though.

Cheers,
    Jamie

cookeaa

I was using old Google maps the other day to plan a cycle route, set it to bike mode and by default it routed me along my local sustrans route which it’s not done previously, it then had a hard time understanding that I wanted a to plan a road bike route but along quieter roads, but clearly they’ve started adding more detail and smaller local pathways.

I shall try the New version but it sounds like it might be a new more resource hungry and buggy front end for the same mapping that “Old” Google maps is using already…

All interesting as without ever meaning to I’ve become quite a heavy Google maps user…

leffeboy

The cycling option does do some interesting things, like keep you away from traffic

Yep, I hate that. That’s one of the nice things you can do with Openstreetmaps is tweak what you get according to how much you want to avoid traffic but it’s painful to do. Fortunately the velomap.org ones are already pretty good

GrahamS

Requested an invite ages ago – but can’t try it here because it doesn’t work on Win XP 🙁

My gut feeling is that for cycling maps OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap is still way ahead.

Try comparing a route planned by Google Maps to one from CycleStreets.
    (As LondonCyclist did.)

That’s one of the nice things you can do with Openstreetmaps is tweak what you get according to how much you want to avoid traffic but it’s painful to do.

CycleStreets offers three routes: Fastest, Balanced and Quietest.

It also lets you set how fast you will ride, will avoid unnecessary hills and gives you full directions and an elevation profile.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Does it have an OSmap option now?

jamiea
    Free Member

…because it doesn’t work on Win XP

Err, yes it does!

Cheers,
    Jamie

GrahamS

Doesn’t on my machine. Claims my browser doesn’t support it (latest Firefox v21).

Seems to be a common problem:

“the full version of the new google maps won’t work under windows xp”

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/960241

System requirements and issues

In order for the fully-enabled Google Maps to run on your computer (with 3D Imagery), your system needs to meet the following requirements:

The latest version of one of the following browsers:
    Google Chrome (for Windows and Mac)
    Firefox (for Windows and Mac)

One of the following operating systems:
    Mac OS 10.8.3+
    Windows Vista, 7, or 8
    Chrome OS
    https://support.google.com/maps/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=3096703

jamiea
    Free Member

Ahh, Chrome on XP here at work.

Cheers,
    Jamie

GrahamS

Hmm.. might have to try Chrome then.

I hadn’t bothered since, according to Google’s own spec list, it shouldn’t work on XP either 😀

andytherocketeer

Was about to say XP is pretty much EoL now anyway. But then I still use Win2000 from time to time 😉 And my half broken PC runs XP and I have no intention of upgrading that whatsoever.

Whatever I used yesterday worked fine with out of date Chrome on Linux, although I didn’t do anything that may have tested 3D. Will play some more tonight.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The “near” feature is useful.

type: “brothel near Bristol” in the search box

andytherocketeer

No terrain view?

Just stock map/satellite views plus traffic and (alpha version of) biking layers?

Since the maps engine has several new base layers, I’d assumed new maps preview would have gained these too.

Seems streetview no longer works on quite old Chrome on Linux. Plan to upgrade soon so ill check again then.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘The new Google Maps’ is closed to new replies.