Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • The new fenton ?
  • warton
    Free Member

Or more correctly stopping a car in an emergency is a reflex action. A bit like tuck and roll when you come off your bike.

Once the guy was on the grass and in a spin, it was pretty obvious to him he had to stop the car, yet he didn’t do it, and that’s even with a guy shouting ‘BRAKE’ at him, he looked at his feet. So I would say stopping a car in an emergency isn’t a reflex action.

kevster
    Free Member

That made me crack up at work. Pity glupton has to take it too seriously!

nealglover
    Free Member

A bit like tuck and roll when you come off your bike.

Ah, so it’s the sort of “reflex action” that 90% of people don’t seem to be able to do then ?

We watched people on the skills area in Meribel Mottaret for a couple of hours one lunchtime.

Almost ever tumble (and there were loads) went down Arms outstretched, head back, and landed on there hands/knees/belly.

Hardly anyone seemed to be able to tuck and roll.

grum
    Free Member

I’m with glupton on this one – the guy in red totally lost it – surely he must be trained to remain calm and convey calmness to the people he’s teaching?

glupton1976
    Free Member

The video is about as funny as genocide too.

warton
    Free Member

Jesus. Party round at Gluptons tonight everyone, it’s going to be non stop fun.

DezB
    Free Member

the guy in red totally lost it

I may be wrong here, but I believe that was the funny bit?

Genocide eh? Surely not that funny?

Cougar

It’s the same reflex that leads old ladies to end up driving into Tesco’s whilst parking. In their heads they’re already doing the right thing so they just try and do more of it.

Yeah. It’s why controlling braking skids (pre-ABS) is challenging for many people. If you’re braking and the wheels lock, instinctively you counter the failing brakes by braking harder (thus aggravating the problem).

grum
    Free Member

I may be wrong here, but I believe that was the funny bit?

Oh….. 😥

The video is about as funny as genocide too.

I suppose you think this is funny too eh?

molgrips
    Free Member

The guy was saying brake harder.

No, he said ‘brake, you’re not braking’ ie not braking at all.

Almost ever tumble (and there were loads) went down Arms outstretched, head back, and landed on there hands/knees/belly.

Unconvinced by the rolling thing. Seems to me that risks your shoulder or neck. Landing on your front on an ostensibly flat surface ie trail or gravel just risks a lot of grazing but fewer broken bones. They also say don’t put your hands out to save a fall. However I do put my hands out and use them to control where I land – palms heal faster than collarbones.

ocrider

“Are you alright”

“Yeah. I’m fine, but its er, obviously less than an ideal situation…..”

…when you’ve just filled your pants.

This thread needs a certain tag to highlight its AWSUMNESS

Drac

Here’s an idea how about Molgrips and Glupton stop.

stumpy01

I wouldn’t say stopping a car is a reflex action…..

Sneezing or pulling your hand away from a hot surface is a reflex action.

The guy clearly thought he was braking. As above, he was probably just pressing harder on the ‘brake’ pedal to get the desired effect.
    In his head he was pressing the brake pedal, but the car wasn’t slowing down. but in his (their) panic, there was no consideration of why they weren’t slowing down.

I did a similar thing at a petrol station years ago in Germany. I pulled in, realised the cap was on the other side and the hose wouldn’t reach around the back of the car as it wasn’t far enough forward.
    I half sat in the car with the door open, took the handbrake off and gave the car a shove with my foot. The garage was on a slope and as it rolled I applied the foot brake (but was actually pressing the accelerator – ignition off, so no vroom vroom noises). It wasn’t long before I had gone too far, but was still not stopping. I was pressing and pressing the pedal. I was also getting worryingly close to a car parked side on at the edge of the forecourt where a bloke was checking his tyre pressures. I grabbed the handbrake and the car stopped.
    I then looked down to realise that in my half-seated position I’d been pressing the accelerator, not the brake and had to sheepishly start the car up & reverse back to the pump with the bloke who’d been checking his tyres giving me evils….

officialtob
    Free Member

glupton1976 and molgrips – which is better. There’s only one way to find out…

Cougar

I grabbed the handbrake and the car stopped.

Does beg the question as to why the instructor here didn’t do that. You wouldn’t want to lock the wheels at speed, but he could’ve applied it progressively to scrub some speed.

loum
    Free Member

The new fenton ?

The video or this thread?

DezB
    Free Member

surely he must be trained to remain calm and convey calmness to the people he’s teaching?

Laughing to myself here. Imagining a video where the instructor remained totally calm and said “Could you take your foot off the clutch and press the brake please Brian?”. And they came to a nice stop.
    How funny would that be!!

stumpy01

molgrips

Unconvinced by the rolling thing. Seems to me that risks your shoulder or neck. Landing on your front on an ostensibly flat surface ie trail or gravel just risks a lot of grazing but fewer broken bones. They also say don’t put your hands out to save a fall. However I do put my hands out and use them to control where I land – palms heal faster than collarbones

If you do a Superman and land arms outstretched the energy is transmitted up your arms to your shoulders and your delicate collarbone goes twang (as well as scuffing your palms). That’s the way I always understood it, rather than it being the impact of your collar bone on a hard surface that breaks it.

A bloke at work fell on the icy car park a couple of years ago and broke his collar bone on the side he fell where he put his arm out. It’s the arm out thing that breaks the collar bone (I think…)

Goes off to watch the funny video again….

nealglover
    Free Member

Does beg the question as to why the instructor here didn’t do that. You wouldn’t want to lock the wheels at speed, but he could’ve applied it progressively to scrub some speed.

As mentioned before, lots of cars have hand brakes on the right of the driver.
    A fair few have foot applied hand brakes.
    Loads now have electronic hand brakes that don’t work at speed.

RustySpanner

Cougar

As mentioned before, lots of cars have hand brakes on the right of the driver.
    A fair few have foot applied hand brakes.
    Loads now have electronic hand brakes that don’t work at speed.

Good point. Though these would be features one would want to avoid when purchasing a track vehicle, no?

Meh, anyway. Silly man is silly.

nealglover
    Free Member

Good point. Though these would be features one would want to avoid when purchasing a track vehicle, no?

Not really, for a rally car maybe ?

But Track cars don’t really have a lot of use for a handbrake in a particular position I don’t think ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But Track cars don’t really have a lot of use for a handbrake in a particular position I don’t think ?

Tut! Might I suggest you go and get yourself some further training. 🙂

Cougar

Well, there’s the use that the chap in the video could’ve done with, for a start.

I wouldn’t expect dual controls necessarily, but I’m surprised they’re taking novices out on a track without something at least.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Meh, anyway. Silly man is silly.

Which one, there’s a plethora on here today! Spoilt for choice.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you do a Superman and land arms outstretched the energy is transmitted up your arms to your shoulders and your delicate collarbone goes twang

Arms out locked, yes, mine will be bent to absorb shock or direct my body away from obstalces etc.

But anyway, yes.

scaredypants

Reported.

Lolled

stumpy01

mine will be bent to absorb shock

These bent arms, then mol….
    Is the ‘bent in a shock absorbing mode’ a reflex action, then? Or do you just stick them out and end up amazed that nothing has gone snap?? 😉 That’s what I do….

molgrips
    Free Member

Honestly dunno. It’s what I do 🙂 It does keep your head away from the ground though…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Regardles of where the handbrake is would it be particually wise to pull it up, even slightly, when doing 70mph and yanking the steering wheel around?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Highly amusing.

Now, is the video in the OP worth watching?

emsz
    Free Member

That vid is *just* like my dad teaching me to drive the other night. At one point I thought he was going to actually pass out with the stress.

Cougar

Regardles of where the handbrake is would it be particually wise to pull it up, even slightly, when doing 70mph and yanking the steering wheel around?

On a track? Sure. Be a giggle, won’t it.

nealglover
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect dual controls necessarily, but I’m surprised they’re taking novices out on a track without something at least.

They aren’t novice Drivers though.
    They aren’t learning to drive.

They are just learning to drive on a track
    I would imagine its pretty (very?) rare that people can’t find the brake pedal 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

They’re doing track day experiences, not getting taught how to drive on a track.

Cougar

Well, he got an experience alright.

legend
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member
    They’re doing track day experiences, not getting taught how to drive on a track.

What do you think the instructor is doing there if he’s not teaching how to drive round a track?

A basic lesson yes, but still a lesson on track driving.

nealglover
    Free Member

You could find an argument in an empty room couldn’t you 🙄

singletrackmind

I have been the guy in the red jumper.
    A friend of mine set up a drift school using MOD tarmac areas and punters paid for 1/2 day sessions.
    I can just about drift a car , not very well or very gracefully , but i can hang the back out.
    We had billys turn up and it was 1 car on a coned out circuit at a time for 3 laps , with 2 seperate skills areas.
    The skills areas were a long straight row of cones , and 2 large cones set a fair distance apart.
    I used to teach people to do ‘figure of 8’s’ round the cones.

Yes people do freeze and completely fail to follow instructions. I have had to grab steering wheels from punters and drive from the passenger seat before. OK , this is not at 90 mph barreling down toward a corner , but there still were other cars within hitting distance.

Also I have had instruction like Nigel Mansel in the video , always benefited from it on the day but never been asked ‘ Do you know how to drive?’ before they strap themselves in and put a lid on. And why no helmets?

marcus7
    Free Member

Dunno what’s more amusing, the vid or the thread! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘The new fenton ?’ is closed to new replies.