• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Is there a definitive price Brant?

brant
    Free Member

Is there a definitive price Brant?

On the steel ones? God knows. Someone’s just told me we are painting some of them, but I can’t remember which.

Will be clearer when they’re ready to put on the boat.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Excellent hope there are some cool colours like the Stooges 🤞

brant
    Free Member

We could never be as cool as Stooge.

whatgoesup

Hi Brant
    Boring question re the Scandal – could you comment on sizing please? At 6’1″ what size should I order, large ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can someone explain…..

Pike rct3 – the pooches whatsits
    Pike rc – slightly simpler but still the same damper.
    Revelation charger rc – how is that different?
    Revelation rc – motion control
    35 rl – motion control, how is that different? Is it just like the old rl forks where the compression adjuster is 4 clicks for normal ~15 to lockout. In which case what does the rc get you other than a topcap that looks like the charger one but with less pixie dust*?

Yours,
    Confuddled of Berkshire.

*same expensive pixie dust as goes into 853 tubes.

P.s. do they all use the same CSU regardless of travel? If i get a 120mm set and a 130mm (or 140, 150, 160) air shaft is that going to work or do they trim the tubes to save weight?

brant
    Free Member

Boring question re the Scandal – could you comment on sizing please? At 6’1″ what size should I order, large ?

Me? I liked our old 18in frames, and I am 6’1 and a bit.

I think all the 5’8″ modern geometry fans are riding XLs aren’t they?

(Yes, I would go large, though I ride steep stuff, if I was nodding along tracks an XL might be better).

stussy365
    Free Member

Brant
    Close to pulling trigger on full build – couple of queries. What’s the code for the £200/ £150 off? Tried the earlier preorder code but only worked on frame only. Also live near Sheffield what’s chance of collection (know this has been asked previously!)

Undecided on colour, keep flitting between both. How’s the orange looking ‘real life’
    Cheers

damascus
    Free Member

What’s everyone’s opinion of the build for £800?

I got my email yesterday asking if I wanted to upgrade to a full build.

Am I right in thinking the forks are similar to how the old revelations were but with 35mm sanctions?

The wheels and tyres look very heavy and cheap.

The sram sx 1×12 is really good at that price point and the planet x / oo finishing kit is OK.

Just wondering about taking them up on the deal.

Thanks

stussy365
    Free Member

Also what sizing thoughts for 5’7” – small or medium?

brant
    Free Member

Close to pulling trigger on full build – couple of queries. What’s the code for the £200/ £150 off? Tried the earlier preorder code but only worked on frame only.

£100 off a frame right now with code PREORDER100
    and £200 off a complete bike with code PREORDER200

BIKE – https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSCSX/on-one-scandal-sx?deal=PREORDER200
    FRAME – https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOSC29V3/on-one-scandal-29er-mtb-frame?deal=PREORDER100

stussy365
    Free Member

Cheers Brant. What would recommendation be for 5’7” small or medium?

brant
    Free Member

The wheels and tyres look very heavy and cheap.

This seems a bit harsh.

Cheers Brant. What would recommendation be for 5’7” small or medium?

Medium.

orena45

Seems like a proper bargain for £800. Used to have a V1 Scandal back in the day and I have a hankering for a winter hardtail after not having one for a few years. This is really tempting me…!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Pre ordered a frame just now. I want to built it up as a singlespeed do it all/ winter bike and was wondering what my options are for a singlespeed conversion.

damascus
    Free Member

This seems a bit harsh.

Sorry brant, don’t get me wrong, Its an £800 bike, they are decent wheels for a bike that price just not what I’d want to ride.

Clink

How many sets of bottle bosses? Just down tube or seat tube as well? One of pics on ‘Scandal through the years’ show 2 sets, but I can only make out one set on frame pics. Ta.

brant
    Free Member

One set on downtube on production model.

Clink

Ta – what about Big Dog – has that got 3 sets?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pre ordered a frame just now. I want to built it up as a singlespeed do it all/ winter bike and was wondering what my options are for a singlespeed conversion.

Sprung or unsprung tensioner. Push down works in almost all cases, push up works with gears that need slightly less tenioning.

Blackspire stinger style tensioner (potentially neater but limited tensioning range like any push up tensioner)

Trickstuff eccentricer (pricey, also limited tensioning range)

Limited tensioning can be overcome by adding a half link, dont use an entire chain as they’re not great. Half links rule out cheap narrow wide rings so you have to source a propper ss chainring which arent as common as they once were as everyones making n/w by default. My preference is for sprung push down tensioners, they generally just work with little or no setup or adjustment required.

brant
    Free Member

Ta – what about Big Dog – has that got 3 sets?

No. Just one.

Bootzippers have two at least.

Clink

No. Just one.

Bootzippers have two at least.

Bugger was getting excited! Defo shot on IG showing Big Dog with rack mounts and 3 sets of bosses. Perfect all-rounder 😁

brant
    Free Member

Bugger was getting excited! Defo shot on IG showing Big Dog with rack mounts and 3 sets of bosses.

Proto. How would someone who couldn’t afford a dropper post drop their saddle?

stussy365
    Free Member

Any chance to have a dropper as an option on the upgrades section on the order?

brant
    Free Member

Any chance to have a dropper as an option on the upgrades section on the order?

Potentially at some point.

We’ve been quite taken aback having shifted well over 100 in a week so we’re retuning our logistics to supply the demand.

kula72
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon I’ve not seen the 35 yet but the “charger” damper in the rev charger isn’t actually a charger. It’s another damper using an ifp instead of a bladder. It’s somewhere between moco and a real charger performance wise.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Dear Confuddle of Berkshire.

Short version.

Charger 2 damper

This is RockShox current range-topping damper. It’s a fully sealed unit that uses a bladder to keep the damping oil isolated from the air. It’s available in different formats depending on the application, but the three main specs are the basic RC with adjustable rebound and low-speed compression to lockout, the RCT3 with three position compression setting from lock-pedal-open with low-speed compression adjustment in the open mode and the RC2 which gets high and low-speed adjustable compression damping plus rebound. The latter is only seen on dedicated gravity forks.
    Charger 2.1 damper

This is an updated version of the Charger 2 damper seen on ‘Ultimate’ forks with some changes to the valving, such as less high-speed compression damping and more low-speed compression damping to make the fork sit up high in its travel.

There is also a new piston wear band inside the damper which is said to better manage oil flow, while a new rod seal from SKF is claimed to reduce friction by upwards of 30% at the rebound shaft.

It is available in RC2 and RCT3 versions, with the same differences in adjustment as the regular Charger range.

Motion Control

This is the mid-range damper and it comes in a few different formats. All are emulsion dampers, where the damping oil isn’t separated from the air in the fork, which can lead to less precisely controlled damping when the two materials mix -become an emulsion – under more extreme use. Not having the damping oil under any positive pressure – as it is in a sealed damper – can lead to loss of damping control due to cavitation as well, though this is rare.

Debonair spring

This is the premium air spring that RockShox offers. It uses a higher volume self-balancing negative air spring relative to the standard Solo Air design to offer reduced breakaway force for better small bump compliance and a more linear starting stroke.
    Dual Position Air spring

This is an air spring that allows you to externally adjust the travel by up to 30mm, depending on the fork.

Solo Air spring

This is the standard air spring seen on RockShox forks. It’s called Solo air because you only need to add air to a single valve and the spring will equalise the negative chamber by itself. At one point, they had a Dual Air spring that required you to do this via a second valve, hence the name.
    Turn Key damper

This is the most simple and hence affordable damper seen on RockShox forks. It’s a basic emulsion damper.

I copied that to my local machine, for my own reference. I got it from a longer article in one of the magazines – I just can’t remember which one -sorry. If you copy a bit verbatim and paste it not Google the original will probably come up, since I cut and paste it verbatim.

simondbarnes

Sorry brant, don’t get me wrong, Its an £800 bike, they are decent wheels for a bike that price just not what I’d want to ride.

Buy a more expensive bike then. It’s not rocket science.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheers cromolyolly, although kula72 had it more succinctly!

So the revelation charger is the same idea as the fox grip damper, replace the bladder with an ifp to simplify it.

RoterStern
    Free Member

@TINAS Thanks for the info 👍

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Cheers cromolyolly, although kula72 had it more succinctly!

Yeah but I cut and paste so it was quicker (for me)

So the revelation charger is the same idea as the fox grip damper, replace the bladder with an ifp to simplify it.

Yep, ifp with a coilspring, iirc.

Confusingly I think they call that the charger rc damper, but if you buy a fork with an rc suffix, it wont necessarily have the rc damper but it might – clear as mud?

The 35 seems to be a replacement for the last revelation rc, leading to speculation that the revelation rc might disappear leaving just one revelation like the reba? series. Or the revelation rc will get an upgraded damper or spring from the previous version so it will be halfway between the 35 and the ‘better’ revelation -although it’s difficult to see how they could do that unless they bump up the spec on the better revelation too. Although I’m sure I read somewhere that there are actually 2 debonairs so maybe that comes into it. I think the 35 has cheaper seals and the like vs the revelation rc.

So 35 = debonair + motion control
    ‘old’ revelation rc = debonair + motion control
    Revelation charger rc = debonair + charger rc

damascus
    Free Member

Buy a more expensive bike then. It’s not rocket science.

But I want a scandal, I loved my racing green scandal. Its the only bike I regret selling.

I was asking what people thought of the build and my reply was to brant.

I’ve bought a frame only and I will build it up but considered the full build and asked for people’s comments.

Thanks for your input though

shog46
    Free Member

Hi Brant
    I have a scandal complete sat in my basket 😬 but I wanted to know if I could pick it up from your factory as I am only 20mins away,if this is possible how do I cancel the delivery charge
    Thanks

brant
    Free Member

Hi Brant
    I have a scandal complete sat in my basket 😬 but I wanted to know if I could pick it up from your factory as I am only 20mins away,if this is possible how do I cancel the delivery charge
    Thanks

If that becomes possible we’d issue a refund. We have nothing in place yet, but it might be an option if we do our new “Sunday nighter” format we’re working on.

Though we’d definitely try and sell you a box of something instead of giving you any money back.

TLDR? “Get it bought”

stussy365
    Free Member

Brant

When does the £200 preorder offer end, may need to sort some bank stuff first next week!
    Cheers

brant
    Free Member

Drops to £150 discount a week on Thursday.

stussy365
    Free Member

19th September then? That should fit in well for me. Thanks

tall_martin

I’ve gone for an xl bike! Whoop whoop!

Is there any chance of getting an uncut steerer tube so I can set it to my height?

I normally have a huge stack of spacers under the stem.

brant
    Free Member

Is there any chance of getting an uncut steerer tube so I can set it to my height?

I normally have a huge stack of spacers under the stem.

Yes. What’s your sales order number?

maycontainnuts

Hi Brant – have ordered a frame, thinking over a full build although I have a fair few parts ready to put on, would you consider a Frame+Fork type bundle?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.