• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • plus-one

I ran length of gear outer from top down and out exit on bottom of down tube. Bit of gorilla tape to join gear outer to brake hose and pull it up through without any issue 👍🏻

akira

Decent light and a bent spoke and it wasn’t too bad, compared to some road bikes with cabling through the bars and stem as well it was almost pleasant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just poked them through and used the natural curve of the hose to poke it down the other end and fish it out with a small screwdriver.

The one I struggled with most was the dropper as I managed to drop the little inserts into the frame!

dogthomson

OK, think I’ve cracked it tonight, a good torch and an old spoke definitely helped!

Can anyone post up a pic of the headtube of their Scandal front on so I can check I’ve routed everything correctly?

mozza00
    Free Member

I see they’ve now spec’d it up with the Rockshox 35s and GX groupset for same price as SLX. Would you go GX or SLX?

damascus
    Free Member

Personally I’d go shimano every time. I’m sure others would go sram.

SLX is a solid groupset.

mozza00
    Free Member

It’s a tough one as it’s a better fork

bigjim

Finally built mine up, it’s pretty darn light and seems pretty good, I almost forgive them for it arriving damaged in a wheel box, but not quite.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Looks like there’s a titanium scandal incoming too

bigjim

First proper ride on it at the weekend, it’s really pretty good, very stable and goes well, it definitely handles like a long slack big wheeler but that’s no surprise. Very impressed with the wtb rangers. My 2011 Rebas are the weak point now for sure. If you have big calves you might catch the seat stays a bit, price to pay for the huge clearance I guess.

Baldysquirt

Anyone know the screw size for the internal routing covers?! M2 or M2.5? Thanks!

akira

Yeah I’ve nearly lost mine several times and they seem to fit some of my Allen keys and not others, also very hard to tighten.

core

Having only ridden mine once due to other commitments and bikes, I might sell it… Large with 120mm xfusion 32 fork, wtb wheels, thomson post, 1×10.

ogri
    Free Member

Anybody heard if blokeuptheroad has received his?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

^^ Great looking bike there, bigjim!

cp

I got mine in one of the ‘seconds’ sale at xmas – it was delivered on xmas eve 2019! I almost parted with it before building up but I’ve finally got it built. Few lockdown purchases and built over a few evenings. Put a smile on my face coming down through the cemetery to work this morning.

disben

Has anyone purchased the WTB I29 29er on Formula Boost wheels from PlanetX for their Scandal? Not much detail on the site but I have asked for more info but none appeared – are they Sealed bearings and any idea on their weight?

damascus
    Free Member

They are formula hubs so they will be sealed cartridge bearings. I’d guess they would be around 2kg for the wheelset.

Its px, this is why it’s cheap! Stack em high, sell em cheap (with little or incorrect info)

You can always return then for a refund if you are brave or you don’t mind the risk of px customer service.

ElVino

Just back for my 3rd ride on mine around the Ballyhoura trail centre in Ireland. It took me a while to get used to how it handles but today I hit a number of Strava segment PBs, up as well as down. Really enjoying it now, only down side is the cheap fork I fitted – Judy Silver, it deserves something a bit more capable.

cp

There’s a fair few scandal frames in this pic… They were 125 last time they did one of these sales.

damascus
    Free Member

There’s a fair few scandal frames in this pic… They were 125 last time they did one of these sales.

They also sold one frame twice!

duckman

I bought one of the larges and instantly regretted it. Anybody want it?

cuxoni
    Free Member

Duckman, I’m interested if it’s still available. I’ve sent you a direct message.

disben

Finally finished the bike for my wife (bought frame in presale, baby born in Feb, sold old 26′ bike in May, build up new) and she loved first ride.

Didn’t realise until parts started arriving but colours are her national flag. Any guesses? Build was relatively easy (only second one from me – first being my Scandal v1), bit of sugru in to cover the dropper holes, wheels seem fine for price (PlanetX WTB i29s) and forks were the Rebas mentioned above.

mozza00
    Free Member

So I managed to bag me a damaged Large Scandal from the weekend sale.

No damage bar a tiny chip on the underside of the chainstay, though Stevie Wonder boxed it in a tracing paper box with more of it on the outside than in… miraculously it hasn’t suffered…

…but it ain’t got a rear axle (could this be a blessing 😂). So what fits as I’m struggling to find one based on the spec they put up on the website – 148 BOOST axle M12 x 1.75 169mm.

Cheers

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve got a px rear axle. Pm me if your interested?

I replaced mine with a ktm one. I put a link in this thread a few pages back.

Mat

has anyone built one of the orange ones with purple hubs, my heart says do it! but my head’s saying nooo! think of the residuals if I need to sell down the line…

I think another concern is if I set off down that route how much more purple ano do I need? I was going to use the black floating rotors I have but I’m thinking that’s not going to work…

#1stworldproblems

damascus
    Free Member

Orange and purple should never be seen unless separated by a clown in between 🤡🤣

Your bike, your choice. You can always strip and sell in parts if its as bad in real life as it is in my head.

On the plus side the orange paint will probably fall at some point although to be fair, mines holding up really well apart from the chain stay! Don’t forget to cover that! It just takes one ride

Mat

but what about double deckers! The frame I have doesn’t look half as orange IRL as the pics in this thread seem to appear though, it’s a kind of orangy-yellow. I suppose I should just do it! I’ve pined for some purple ano for ages now and always bottled it in favour of more sensible black…

matt_outandabout

Didn’t realise until parts started arriving but colours are her national flag. Any guesses?

Argentina, Bahamas and Kazakhstan have turquoise flags IIRC.

matt_outandabout

And of course Estonia is blue, black and white…

disben

And of course Estonia is blue, black and white…

Yep – that is correct. Photo doesn’t really show the blues that well, they are generally all like the chainstay cover…

duckman

After initial humming and hawwing I decided to build it up as a hill bike, now I seem to have bought a brand new dropper for it…So; dropper cable routing; where does it come out?

akira

Near bottom of down tube then external past bottom bracket and back inside seat tube if I remember correctly, easier for fitting than all internal and looks neat.

matt303uk

I’ve just been to see if the new orange finished frame stock had arrived over the weekend, not only are they all listed as out of stock now the GX spec is now £999 and the SX spec no longer listed.

plus-one

Doesn’t surprise me it’s an excellent riding frame !!

matt303uk

Seems you are able to order them now.

ampthill

How how is it on less challenging terrain. I’m not use to modern geometry. Will it kill less challenging trails in the Chilterns or be fine? Asking for a mate who is making do on a hybrid but wants something more capable

Rod

Finally nearly finished on my build and noticed some side-to-side play in the rear wheel (brand new Hunt Trail Wide). After investigating it further, I’ve realised the movement is in the rear bolt through axle (it has play even when fully tightened – like the hole is too big…

Anyone else had this?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Finally nearly finished on my build and noticed some side-to-side play in the rear wheel (brand new Hunt Trail Wide). After investigating it further, I’ve realised the movement is in the rear bolt through axle (it has play even when fully tightened – like the hole is too big…

Anyone else had this?

No – sounds odd. Is there play when there is no wheel in – i.e. the threads aren’t cut properly either in the dropout or on the bolt, or the bolt at the none drive side can be moved around in the dropout hole? If the none-drive side bolt hole is oversized it sounds like replacement frame time.

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.