• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or will I need to remove the the lever, drain the fluid, remove the olive and insert in order to get the hose through the frame?

Not sure draining the fluid is nesecary, just wipe up any dribbles and spray liberally with IPA afterwards. But yep it will need a bleed unless very lucky.

Most brakes you cant remove the barb/olive so you’ll need to cut the last inch off the hose and buy new ones.

ElVino

Before I make an even more costly mistake I have a question on headset compatibility
    Can anyone confirm if this is a substitute for the Planet X “Selcof Zero Stack : Tapered / IS44/28.6 IS56/40”

Niner Zero Stack 44mm Tapered ZS44 / 28.6 EC56 / 40

hamishthecat

Or will I need to remove the the lever, drain the fluid, remove the olive and insert in order to get the hose through the frame?

What TINAS said. I cut off the olive and screwed a tiny woodscrew into the hose (screw head less than OD of the hose) to stop the fluid leaking, pushed it through the frame and reattached the lever with new barb and olive. Seems to work OK but I will bleed it to be on the safe side.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dogthomson

Top tip Hamish! Cheers!

core

Right then, old school topic for discussion with regard to Scandal builds – how much does yours weigh? And what sort of build?

snotrag

Just got in from garage, mine is officially finished. Maybe. And ill be dammed if it doesnt look ace, and not weigh much, I’m very pleased! Photos and details tomorrow!

damascus
    Free Member

@core

Mine is carbon rigid fork, shimano xt 1×10 (deore cassette) hope pro 4 on flow mk3 with 2.6 nobby nics (tubeless) and a dropper Post. Not weighed it recently but around 27 lbs if I had to guess.

core

That’s encouraging, I’m hoping 28lb will stop mine with 120mm X Fusion forks, thomson post, WTB wheels, Deore/SLX drivetrain.

As far as cranks go – can I get away with running an old 2x crank with the ring in the outer position? I’ve test fitted the cup and driveside crank arm (SLX) with 32T ring – there’s ample clearance for both the ring and crank on the chainstay, better than some of these boosted cranks in this thread I’d say. So as long as the chainline is OK I’m golden, right? And I’m aiming for 48-50mm?

damascus
    Free Member

I was using an old xt triple Chainset with a hope nw ring and it worked fine (10 speed)

I changed it to an m9000 xtr Chainset (non boost) but they were too narrow and wouldn’t clear the chain stays. I then put on an xtr m9020 Chainset (non boost) with 32t oval ring and that was fine.

Its currently set up with a chain guide in place of the drive side spacer. Bit disappointed that it didn’t have tabs but I guess they were keeping the costs down.

core

That’s a point, I haven’t got a BB spaced on the driveside yet, I’ll bang one in and have a measure up. OneUp produced this a while back, seem to recall I used it to sort things out on my Bird Aeris.

OneUp Guide

Clink

Just a reminder – in case anyone wants to sell their carbon fork….

snotrag

Here we go then –

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j2j5Jm]_20200515_141517[/url] by simonholehan, on Flickr

Its a size Medium, I’m often a large in some brands so its a good job I didnt get a large – thats only a 125mm dropper post almost completely inserted. I might want to slam the stem once I’ve ridden it too, and the forks are at 130mm which I suspect might also want to be shortened a bit in the future to sharpen it up and lower the front.

The paint finish is a great colour but its not gonna last – it picks up marks just by looking at it and chips very easy. Not an issue – just you get what you pay for.

Cable routing works great as all 4 cables fit perfectly and dont touch the headtube or mark anything at all, at full lock to lock – lots of bikes get this wrong!

I’ve not ridden it further than the end of the street but I like it. New forks from France, new M6000 brakes with tiddly rotors, Xfusion dropper ‘new’ on ebay, M9000 XTR from the garage, Deore cranks from the garage pile, cassette from the old gravel bike, bars, pedals stem all Nukeproof budget stuff from Ebay, Mavic Trail Elites 2nd hand locally, and a flipping fortune on some really good, lightweight tyres – Forekaster 2.35 front, Ikon 2.35 rear.

Its the first time in ages I’ve tried to at least think about the weight a little, hence little discs, wheel and tyre choice etc. Its only got 30x 11-40 gears which might limit me a bit but its a LOT lighter than my main bike and its for local riding not big days out.

Weighed with the bathroom scale +me method at 12.1kg (26.7 lbs) which I am really pleased with, comfortably the lightest Mountain Bike I’ve had in decades!

Clink

Looks ace! How tall are you then?

snotrag

5ft 10 with short-ish legs ( 30 inch legs on my Jeans). Same issue with my Hightower, need a big one for the Top Tube length, but can only fit a 125mm dropper in. Off the shelf comes with a 170m 😀

I reckon Saddle will come up about 10mm and pretty sure I’ll drop the stem by one 10mm spacer too, putting it a bit less laid back.

mtbqwerty

Looks awesome…quite a nice weight too.

plus-one

Never needed a new bike but frame was Cheap so here we are 😊

Never been matchy matchy type so look away if easily offended! Awaiting brakes and she’s good to go. 21lbs so 23-24lbs once brakes fitted. Yes it’s a 29’r running 650b. Frame doesn’t know what size of wheels is on it 😉 Fast’ish xc rig maybe

cokie

What cranks are people fitting? In the above posts seems like some are getting away with non-boost cranks.

Has anyone worked out the magic gear for single speed?

hamishthecat

What cranks are people fitting? In the above posts seems like some are getting away with non-boost cranks.

I’ve got an old hollowtech triple on it with a Hope NW 32t on the middle ring tabs and it works fine. I’ve a Bird AM9 with non-boost xt double cranks and 32 ring and that’s fine too, just.

core

I’m sticking a Shimano 2x non-boost crank in mine, SLX or Deore, depends if the SLX will stay tight, splines are a bit worn… Ring in outer position. Seemed to recall that you need the spacer on the non driveside, measured it up like that and chainline is identical to that on another boost bike with boost crank I had access to.

snotrag

Update – maiden ride.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j2ysga]_20200516_113449[/url] by simonholehan, on Flickr

Went and flogged myself silly for 43 miles this morning. It feels basically like you qpudl expect a reasonably light, balanced, not too extreme hardtail to feel – which is a compliment!

It was definitely worth spending the money on good, fast, lightweight tyres rather than dragging minions around as usual.

11-40 range is not quite enough!

Ref chain line, mines got a Deore triple with an Oval ring, this is the middle cog of an 11 speed cassette and its fractionally too far inboard. Works absolutely spot on, so yes, an Old triple works fine.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j2zZGL]DSCPDC_0000_BURST20200516110259502[/url] by simonholehan, on Flickr

Only real complaint is it makes a right racket even with NW and tight clutch mech. Not had a bike that does that for years either, so completely neglected to think about chainslap. Paint is wrecked already, couple of chips on the downtube too. Not really bothered, just an observation of where the savings are to be able to buy it for £150.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j2vLvE]DSC_6304[/url] by simonholehan, on Flickr

Great bike, enjoyed it!

mtbqwerty

Quite a healthy distance to test the bike…hopefully mine will be rolling by next weekend, especially since it doesn’t seem like a bad peddler.

Glad I kept my chain stay protector now though.

bobodaclown

Looks ace, still wish that they did it in raw like the previous ones.

plus-one

Steerer on selcof fork is really thick ? 1/8 bung is way to big !! Tried one from another of my bikes running 1/8 fork still too big. Ordered one for an 1” fork which I reckon will be spot on. Anyway short ride it’s all good(apart from temp bodge bung) as expected it’s harsh on the rough stuff but rapid on smoother terrain 🙂

bigjim

A 52mm skateboard wheel is an almost too perfect fit in the lower headset cup for anyone else trying to get their headset cup in a dented steerer tube without a headset press.

bigjim

Oh and has anyone drilled a small drainage hole in the bottom of the bb shell? It looks like it’s just going to be permanently full of water otherwise with all the holes in the tubes higher up.

plus-one

Oh and has anyone drilled a small drainage hole in the bottom of the bb

I was drilling hole thanks for reminding me 👍🏻 All the internal routing is really well thought out. Easiest internal frame I’ve set up.

hamishthecat

Oh and has anyone drilled a small drainage hole in the bottom of the bb shell? It looks like it’s just going to be permanently full of water otherwise with all the holes in the tubes higher up.

I’m going to fill the holes elsewhere first – especially the two at the top of the seat stays and see what water gets into the bb.

scaredypants

Steerer on selcof fork is really thick ? 1/8 bung is way to big !!

🙁

plus-one

@scaredypants 🙁 We gave it our best shot 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

Maybe one of the planet x fork bungs fit?

plus-one

Maybe one of the planet x fork bungs fit?

That’s what I pinched off another bike to check(23-24mm) internal marked on bottom same as current px one listed 🙁

Rod

If buying a new chainset (SLX), does anyone know the best version to get – m7100 (52mm chainline, boost or non-boost) or m7120 (55mm, boost only). I can see the SLX full bike uses the m7120 crank but the GX full bike has a 52mm chainline…

Or does it make no difference? (Not done the boost thing before!) Wheels will be boost hubs.

bigjim

I’ve just fitted an slx m7000 boost crankset and for whatever reason have got away with a 34t oval ring which I certainly wasn’t expecting.

Rod

I can see the chainline for the m7000 boost is 153mm, so the m7100 (52mm chainline) should be ok with 32t round chainring… but I’m just wondering why PX spec the 55mm chainline m7120. Is that just what they had or would it be better?

trailtom
    Free Member

Another SLX M7000 Boost user here with no issues with chainline

View post on imgur.com

blokeuptheroad

New to this thread but very tempted. However, these frames are currently £600 on the website 😮 Have I missed something?

trailtom
    Free Member

They were £150 with a headset a few weeks back the same price as the preorder last year thou they came without the headset

plus-one

@trailtom. Nice build sir just enough red to complement without going overboard 👌🏻

blokeuptheroad

That’s a pretty humungous differential. At £150 I’d bite their arm off. A fourfold price hike however seems more than a tad excessive 🙁

plus-one

That’s a pretty humungous differential. At £150 I’d bite their arm off. A fourfold price hike however seems more than a tad excessive 🙁

Fret not !

Most likely be on sale again at some point.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.