• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

I might change it to an O NO !

misteralz
    Free Member

Mine arrived this morning, so I’ve been taking my time building it up. However, I cannot get the front wheel to fit at all. Am I doing something stupid?

misteralz
    Free Member

P.S. it’s lovely, with the exception of some dodgy paint at the rear caliper mount, but that’s an easy fix and I absolutely cannot complain at the price!

brant
    Free Member

Mine arrived this morning, so I’ve been taking my time building it up. However, I cannot get the front wheel to fit at all. Am I doing something stupid?

Check that the front brake pads aren’t clamped together would be my first thought?

misteralz
    Free Member

I haven’t fitted the caliper yet, and it’s all new kit! Honestly feels like the forks are about 5mm too narrow, but they’re on the receipt as the same axle width as the wheel! I’ll get my vernier out after lunch and check for sure.

lovewookie

to counter all of the black bikes here.

Scandal

misteralz
    Free Member

Update! I am maybe not stupid, just naïve enough to think that 15mm through axle would be the same as 15mm through axle. My older (as in 2013, maybe?) Kona Explosif 650b front wheel fits between the fork legs, my lovely new Fulcrum one doesn’t. So I’ll sell it on and find a new old 29er front wheel locally, hopefully. And of course my spare SRAM cassette that I have in stock doesn’t fit, because new ‘standards’! I’ll maybe be riding it next year…

drhackenbush

Haven’t started building mine up yet just wondering how is the fit of non-boost cranks and chainline?

Was going to use my SLX cranks with a standard non boost superstar 32T oval ring. Is there any need to get an offset/boost ring?

lovewookie

Mine is non boost 34T round. There’s about 1mm clearance. Put a 1mm spacer between the crank and bb, seems to help a bit and there’s enough axle sticking out the other side to attach the crankarm too.

🙂

whatgoesup

Does anyone know how the dropper routing works at the front end?

It looks like on the left hand side the brake hose exits via an elongated hole with a plastic plug with an plastic grommet in there. Does this come out and get replaced with a dual-cable plug to allow the dropper housing to enter the frame? Or the plug is just removed and left as just a bare hole? Or is there another hole I’ve missed in my 30 second quick look without all packaging removed ?

stanstorey
    Free Member

There are two holes in each plug/grommet, it’s quite a neat arrangement.

whatgoesup

Ah – that wasn’t obvious it just looked like one cable hole and one screw hole to hold the plug in place. I’l look properly tonight !

vinnyeh

Brant, are you still watching this thread?

PX email today says one last chance for the Scandal offer, but the old code doesn’t work anymore- am I reading too much into the email and there’s no real offer, just the regular price?

brant
    Free Member

You’re reading too much into a badly written email.
    Sorry.

vinnyeh

no worries, thanks for replying.

whatgoesup

Right…. so I’m now half way through setting up my orange large Scandal GX.

Overall I am very impressed with how much bike is here for the money – if it rides half as well as it looks and the quality of the kit I will be very happy indeed. those Rockshox forks look bomb-proof !

(edit – note – the below is not having a go at on-one, but some stuff to check for anyone with a complete build to get it “just right”)

However…. the build quality is pretty questionable – all fixable in build but to be honest it would have been easier to start from a box of bits
    Brake hose and gear cables all wrapped around the fork and header tube – looks like the controls have been bolted to the handlebars whilst not attached to the stem as there is no physical way of manouvering then all back into place by rotating the bars etc so they all had to come off to be detangled (pretty quick given the matchmaker clamps)
    Brake hose and gear cables WAY too long – need trimming. Easy enough for the gears but the brakes will need bleeding of course.
    Brake and shifter bolts all fairly loose – shifter very loose – not torqued
    Derailleur hanger bolts (the little ones on the inside of the frame) loose – not even nipped up – took a whole turn to nip up.
    Shifting / indexing not right. OK at one end of the cassette but not the other.
    Mech hanger alignment miles off (prob explains the above)
    Both brakes dragging on calipers
    Rear calliper mounts on the frame have been painted over and not cleaned up afterwards, so the calliper was mounted to paint rather than solid metal

Nothing here that a (TBH quite enjoyable) couple of hours fettling over a pint isn’t putting right but for anyone thing they can take it out of the box, bolt the bars on and go ride – check this stuff out first.

I’ll post up a pic when done !

tomcrow99

Had first proper ride on mine today. Really enjoyed it. Stable on the steeps and fast going back up. Lightest MTB I’ve ever had. Hit a few features I’ve only done on my big enduro bike before! I got a bit carried away and tacked the rear wheel slightly.

Few tweaks needed, could do with a slightly shorter stem and needed to run the rear brake hose properly. Normal slx crank with 32 ring fits with plenty of clearance. Bit of faff with hub converters ( QR to bolt thru to boost) but super happy.

Pic below hopefully…

null

null

plus-one

Why are folks using zip ties for cables on frame?

damascus
    Free Member

Why are folks using zip ties for cables on frame?

I suspect its the brake cable and they have got spare olives. They are probably on order and they wanted to get out and ride rather than wait. Or like me, the frames longer than the doner bike and not enough hose to go internal

damascus
    Free Member

@markwsf my bottom bracket was painted, had to be cleaned before install. I didn’t check the mech hanger, thanks for the reminder.

Rear calliper mounts on the frame have been painted over and not cleaned up afterwards, so the calliper was mounted to paint rather than solid metal

This didn’t bother me and I’ve just bolted them on. How easy was the paint to get off? I forgot to add a chainstay protector on my first ride so Ive got lots of white dots now under some inner tube.

One thing I noticed is its missing bb tabs for a chain device. My hope nw didnt drop the chain so its probably not needed. Anyone using a chain guide?

For £170 delivered its an amazing frame!

whatgoesup

@damscus – very easy and just took a few minutes – just some gentle work with a small kitchen knife to avoid damaging the surface underneath just in case the metal had been machined post-welding (optimistic I know…) and to avoid flaking off any ajacent paint (didn’t happen – the paint seems well bonded to the frame)
    Thanks for the note re bottom bracket paint – as my BB was already fitted it was about the only area where I assumed that would all be fine and left alone – at least partially because as I’ve never taken this type of crank / BB out before so don’t know if there’s special tools needed. I’ll take a look at some point soon.

whatgoesup

Done* and ready to ride.

Compared to my old Scandal, just based on sitting on in the house getting it set up – totally different bike…. exactly what I was looking for, but the idea was to replace the “old” scandal, and I think in reality it’s better sitting alongside? I’m really looking forwards to throwing this around a trail centre or two.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hv8ADS]IMG-1312[/url] by markwsf, on Flickr

* – brake hoses, bleeding and that ballache can wait until another day. That and setting up tubeless.

windysurfer
    Free Member

@damascus
    I’ve fitted a full chain guard to mine (hate chain slap!), its the type that replaces a spacer behind the bottom bracket.
    I’m running none boost gpx cranks with none boost chain ring so remove the space from the none drive side and replaced it with the chain guard on the drive side.

damascus
    Free Member

@markwsf what size frame is that?

damascus
    Free Member

@windysurfer what’s your chain line like? Can you post a picture? Thanks

I’ve got my spacer on the non drive side to make 1st gear less stretch so can’t really use a bb chain guide. (10 speed)

whatgoesup

@damasus it’s a Large – set up for me @ 6’1″

medlow
    Free Member

Winner so far is Lovewookie by miles..!

bigjim

Frame has arrived, delighted to see on one have kept up their tradition of the unprotected mech hanger punching through the box in transit and sticking out! Will check if it’s bent later. Third frame from on one and had to request replacement dropouts every time 🤪

brant
    Free Member

Sales order number Bigjim please.

ElVino

What travel forks are people using is it all 130mm ?

variflex
    Free Member

Anyone had problems with the rear axle?
    Mine wont engage with mech hanger. If I take the mech hanger off and connect them off the frame they are fine… so perhaps something is out of whack. Phone call in the morning I guess 🙁

damascus
    Free Member

Mine wont engage with mech hanger

That sounds wierd. So if it’s not the mech hanger or the axle it must be your wheel that’s getting in the way. Do your adapters foul and stop it dropping into place?

Try it without the cassette on and or freehub so you can see more.

windysurfer
    Free Member

@damascus My chain is in alignment when in in the 5th cog from the biggest ring of the cassette (10 speed).

variflex
    Free Member

Mine wont engage with mech hanger

That sounds wierd. So if it’s not the mech hanger or the axle it must be your wheel that’s getting in the way. Do your adapters foul and stop it dropping into place?

Try it without the cassette on and or freehub so you can see more.

Havent even tried putting a wheel in… simply trying to screw the axle in.

whatgoesup

@variflex if you remove the small bolts holding the hanger to the frame but keeping the hanger in roughly the right place can you then screw the axle in? If so where does the hanger “try” to sit relative to the frame and the bolt holes?

lovewookie

Winner so far is Lovewookie by miles..!

Thanks 😉 turned out quite nice looking imo.

The zip ties on the top tube on my bike are for the dropper, it’s an external type.

120mm greenest of green Reba’s!

moonsaballoon

My gx build turned up yesterday, changed the bars for something wider then tried to fit my dropper . Word of warning about the internal dropper routing port , it’s very easy to drop the screw through the empty hole …twice ..doh . Managed to get them back but had to take the forks out . I also realised to late my spare dropper is to big for the seat tube but have just ordered one of the canyon ones of eBay so not to bad .

all in all I’m pretty pleased with it , seems well put together and the orange looks really good . Certainly can’t complain for the money .

variflex
    Free Member

@variflex if you remove the small bolts holding the hanger to the frame but keeping the hanger in roughly the right place can you then screw the axle in? If so where does the hanger “try” to sit relative to the frame and the bolt holes?

tried pretty much everything. Spoken to PX and they are sending a new hanger in case its that but it screws into the hanger off the frame ok. Looks like the hole drilled in the frame is a very fraction misasligned with hanger so I can only get 1/2 a turn on the axle before it grinds to a halt.

Ho hum, cant fault PX support via online chat… very helpful and fast

misteralz
    Free Member

Scandal

Mine, not quite finished but with a chain flung on so I could start shaking it down. Have messed about with saddle and bar heights a bit and I think I’m going to like it a lot.

didnthurt

I’d have bought one of these frames and built it up over the winter but unfortunately I’ve no money left as I’d already booked 4 days cycling around lake Como this autumn 😎

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.