Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • The never ending search for UK friendly flat pedal shoe…
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

I am waiting to go to a shop to check these out in person. They look on like they have potential

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-warm-and-waterproof-hiking-boots-sh100-x-warm/_/R-p-307054

So I went and checked them out instore. The sole felt about right for stiffness for me. Stiffer than a skate shoe with support in mid sole but not mega stiff so as to loose feel. Didn’t buy as they didn’t have a pair in my size in stock. Felt quite nice and warm from the touch test. Grip on pedal can’t comment obviously but will depend on pedals. Keen to try when they have UK stock and I can try fit.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

As reviewed by singletrack track themselves I’m surprised there is not more recommends for vaude moab mid stx, I’ve had mine for 18months now and they are hands down the perfect MTB boot for UK riding IMO.

feed

As reviewed by singletrack track themselves I’m surprised there is not more recommends for vaude moab mid stx, I’ve had mine for 18months now and they are hands down the perfect MTB boot for UK riding IMO.

Would love to try a pair of the new 5:10s but can’t justify it as after 2 winter seasons my Vaude Moabs look box new (after a good clean) and have proved to be the perfect waterproof winter flat pedal shoe\boot.

andydunne12
    Free Member

Does anyone have real world experience with the new goretex adidas boots?

Weighing it up between Vaude moab and the adidas. Adidas are quite a bit cheaper with the discount

bikesandboats
    Free Member

I received my pair last week, have only done a short ride with them but they feel really nice. A bit tricky to get on with the neoprene cuff but very snug once they are on and it will be nice not to get pebbles/mud/thorns down inside my shoes.

Can’t comment on the waterproofness but I watched some video reviews where the reviewer hosed them down and put them in a bucket and they stayed dry inside.

I can update this thread when I’ve done some miles in them.

andydunne12
    Free Member

Thanks. Sounds pretty good tbf.

Ended up ordering a pair of adidas.
    Hopefully they will be good fit and function.
    If not easy return

frogstomp

For anyone still considering, Groupon have an offer on whereby if you buy a £35 Adidas gift card you get a free £15 promotional card too. So, you could buy a couple of these and stack with the 30% code which, by my reckoning, brings them down to £75!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Apologies, how do I get the 30% Adidas vulture?

PS, Groupon sold out.

frogstomp

@thegeneralist – generate a code here.

Shame the Groupon has gone.. saves me buying yet another pair of shoes though!

blitz

Does anyone have real world experience with the new goretex adidas boots?

Wore mine for the first time yesterday. It was dry but I went though some wet long grass. So not the stiffest test – but they kept my feet dry, were very grippy, and were comfy. Only slight thing was because of the high cuff, that bit dug in slightly whilst walking in them. No issue on the bike of course which is the main thing and they will probably break in a bit before long. Overall really happy with them.

stcolin
    Free Member

Thought I would give a quick one ride review of the Trailcross mid boot that I got this week. First impression are good, lighter than my Freeriders, same grippy sole, narrower, and looks that will divide opinion.

I rode Llandegla and there had been a lot of rain before I got there. Thankfully the skies cleared so I was just left to dodge some big puddles. Didn’t take long before I got my boots drenched and whilst my feet got wet, they seemed to dry quickly. I was wearing some merino Endura socks. They felt quite loose. I bought an 11, my Freeridersn were also an 11. Quite a few reviews said to go up a size, very glad I didn’t. Before my second loop I tightened the main laces and they felt much better. I have quite narrow and very flat feet. I don’t fill shoes very well. Couple of other observations; the laces are long and it’s hard to keep them from being outside the boot. There is a gap between the inner ‘sock’ and the outer ankle cuff, a place where water and dirt will collect. Being a narrower shoe, it didn’t foul my crank arm like my Freeriders. Oh, and I got mine with the voucher code for 30% off.

7/10 so far.

Onzadog
    Free Member

UK friendly flat shoe would be lovely, but I’d settle for one that fits. Why is everything so narrow? I’d quite like somewhere for my toes to go in the shoe.

endomick
    Free Member

Shimano had a new GR9 flat pedal shoe at the eurobike show with a new grippier sole called ultread and a little bootie around the opening to stop trail crap getting in the shoe, might be worth waiting for those to come out.

scc999

I’d love to try these, but there I can NEVER find anywhere that stocks them to try on.
    Finding UK stock of UK8s was pretty sketchy when I seriously looked last year so I went with the (non waterproof) Adidas Terrex. As I know what size I am in them and that they fit me – I’m more likely to take a punt on the GTX ones than the unknown of the Vaude ones.

Maybe that’s why fewer people are using them, combined with the cost?

mudfish

I think the waterproof (sealskinz merino) sock / cold feet issue is significantly aided by sock liners.
    And perhaps most importantly shoes with space for toe wiggling
    I have some old climbing liners. Skiers use them too. They seem to work well when there’s snow on the ground -I use with my Sam Hill Impact (looks like old chunky impact but doesn’t hold water like those – and dries better.)

matt_outandabout

I am looking at some overshoes as well this winter.

My old Lake winter boots finally died in February this year, my Shimino M089’s are just mesh. I would like another set of boots – but am struggling to find the money for some good ones.

+1 on warm legs keeping warm feet. My new Endura bibs arrive today – nice windproof panels on front and bum, roubaix throughout. I hope they work, I seem to be really feeling the cold these days in a way I never did use to.

kelvin

FIVE TEN TRAILCROSS GORE-TEX® MOUNTAIN BIKE SHOES …

Except for stcolin, and their narrow feet… did everyone else size up?

andydunne12
    Free Member

Wore my Adidas trailcross goretex today for the first time riding.

Not massively wet but quite a few puddles about, tried to hit as many as possible.
    Feet were bone dry after.
    Grip on the peddles is super.
    I usually wear 11, sized upto 11 and 1/2. Fits perfectly at that and I have reasonably wide feet.

Very comfortable for me anyway, I love them so far. 10/10

hot_fiat

FIVE TEN TRAILCROSS GORE-TEX® MOUNTAIN BIKE SHOES …

Except for stcolin, and their narrow feet… did everyone else size up?

Yep by 1/2 or even 1 full size.

kelvin

Ordering … ta.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi all.
    The trailcross gtx are back in stock on adidas site if anyone else was waiting for them.

Strictly speaking they’re back in stock regardless of whether anyone else was waiting, but you know what I mean.

£105

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I keep forgetting I’ve got the colombia fairbanks, need to roll them out again!

ton

i had my columbia’s on yesterday. toasty and grippy.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Vaude Moab again. Coupled with trousers (pants). Dry warm feet no need for sealskins.

shermer75
    Free Member

I ride in ‘approach shoes’- the walking shoe/climbing shoe hybrids that mountaineer types use to walk to their climbing spot, and then do the actual climbing in too. They have stiff, flat soles that grip well and a decent amount of waterproofing. Also really comfy and robust with a toe rand to repel rock strikes

northersouth
    Free Member

My Trailcross GTX arrived earlier and went for a quick ride. I’m a size 10 in Nike/Adidas and they were true-to-size for me, so I wouldn’t recommend sizing up.

Very comfortable to wear/walk in and incredibly grippy sole too (used with a TAG pedal).

Shoes

davros

Seems to be a mix of people saying size up, don’t size up on the trailcross. So I’ve gone for half a size up 🤔🤞 looks like free returns/exchange so no worries if they’re not quite right.

blitz

I’ve worn my GTX trail cross a few more times now. Very happy with them still.

On the sizing I think they’re true to size if using the size guide on the adidas site. I went half a size up which gives a bit of space for thick socks but they don’t feel too sloppy with normal socks. I wouldn’t have wanted them any bigger so not sure about going a whole size up.

bikesandboots

Half a size up for me, to 8.5. Got the 8s at first, they were ok, and even after ordering the 8.5s it was a hard choice. Eventually settled by wearing both for an hour in the house. The cuff is a bit bigger too so it’s less of a battle to get them on and should last a bit longer.

kelvin

looks like free returns/exchange so no worries if they’re not quite right.

Adidas are brilliant for returns and swapping sizes, don’t worry.

I went for half a size up as well…

🤞🏼

doomanic

I think it depends on how wide your feet are. I eventually settled on size 47 (I normally wear 46) but they aren’t as wide as I’d like. I just hope they are as waterproof as folk are saying because I won’t get them on if I’m wearing Sealskinz.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are they noticeably narrower than say Freerider Pro and Impact Pro?

I currently have a silly number of flat pedal shoes in the hall trying to decide which to keep. They all rub the side of the big toe and bend it inwards. The RC Hellion, the Northwave Clan anFreerider Pro and Impact Pro as well as a Freerider DLX. Of those, I think the Impact Pro might have the straightest line from heel, the ball to big toe.

None of them seem to get noticeably wider by going up half and a whole size. The RC Hellion Elite also has a weirded raised bit under the foot opposite the arch support which is a real shame as it’s a nice shoe otherwise.

Apologies for any typos. Half my screen is keyboard and half is adverts overlayed so I can’t actually see the text box!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a pair of the Trailcross GoreTex, and i’m basically a size 10 in everything (including 510’s) so went for that. They fit as expected.

Worn them once, but haven’t ventured out in the truely minging weather yet. They arn’t as substantial as a Freerider Pro, I would assume similar to the normal new Trailcross, which I haven’t tried.

Thankfully they have put the grippier sole on these, rather than the massive fail on the new Freerider Pro Primeblue’s, which they have put the shyte one on.

None as grippy as the new Spesh Rime Flat though.

aldo56
    Free Member

As an update to this thread – I picked up some of the Endura MT500 Plus Overshoe II for flat pedals. Rode them in anger for the first time at the weekend and they were very good. I think it says it all when I didn’t have to think about them once on a very wet and sloppy ride.

Undid them at the end to reveal dry and clean shoes underneath! We rode at Ardgartan on Sunday morning and it was extremely wet / muddy – roads flooded on the way there sort of thing.

I was expecting the pedal feel to be not as good but, honestly, absolutely fine.

They’re a bit of a challenge to get on so best not done in a dark, wet carpark. Took me about 3 minutes to fit them to my 5.10 Freerider EPS.

Longevity TBC but they looked completely unmarked from the pedals so far…

lucky7500

Has anyone tried the Vans MTE range of shoes for general wear or riding. I know they aren’t marketed as a riding shoe but thought they could potentially be an interesting option.

BillOddie

I have a pair of well worn low top vans MTE ultrarange and the soles are on the harder wearing end of the scale and the sole isn’t the typical waffle sole, it’s lugged.

You could try using them but I don’t think the grip would be great.

lucky7500

Ah, fair enough. Thought they might have the waffle sole.

davros

Half size up on the trailcross gtx was the correct decision. Bit of wiggle room with a thick winter sock and snug with thick sealskinz. They feel light and comfortable. Looking forward to trying them out properly.

honourablegeorge

Another option has emerged – Five Ten Freerider Pro MID VCS. Looks are a bit…well, just look at them. But the lack of laces does make sense for a winter shoe, I guess.

Anyone tried these?

Rubber_Buccaneer

They managed to put a lace flap on the Freerider ELC and they’ve put Velcro straps on that ^ so please dear god tell me why when they have at last come out with a waterproof flat pedal shoe does it have exposed laces to flap around and fill with crap? WHY?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘The never ending search for UK friendly flat pedal shoe…’ is closed to new replies.