Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • The NASA Mars announcement; what will it be?
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

One of the interpretations of the Fermi paradox says that discovery of life on mars, multi-cellular life in particular, would spell the doom of humanity. The worst possible news, as it would imply that complex life must be common in the universe

I assume that they would be from the same source billions of years ago, so not independent spontaneous creation of life, just one seed source evolving at different rates.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Shergar, Lord Lucan, and all the people who went missing in the Bermuda Triangle?

Is Barry Manilow in your head now? 😈

nemesis
    Free Member

The point though is that if we’re not unique, we’re statistically very unlikely to be one of only two instances of life, even if we came from the same ‘seed’.

My money’s on liquid water (or at least easily extractable water) but if I get a second wildcard I’m going for a Martian singing ‘One Cornetto’ on a martian canal gondola 😉

Northwind

They’ve found Hiroko Ai

LeeW

Jamie?

keithd
    Free Member

Proof the Sunday Sport was a factual publication?

Irish_AL
    Free Member

A small mountain of single socks?

langylad
    Free Member

It’s a god awful small affair.

slimjim78
    Free Member

things can only get wetter

Cougar

Oh, very good.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I think really the briny water is just the hot dog factory overspill.

Garry_Lager

I assume that they would be from the same source billions of years ago, so not independent spontaneous creation of life, just one seed source evolving at different rates.

Could be – depends on the whereabouts of the great filter. If it’s right at the very beginning of life – the very first steps in self-replication, then you can think of it happening, and then some sort of panspermia process seeding neighbouring planets for it to develop.
    If the filter is further along, though, then it’s bad news because there is no chance of two lifeforms developing separately, next door to one another, and both surmounting the filter – ie it must lie in the future.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dark spots caused by flowing water is the current most likely. 4.30 our time is when the press conference starts.

Oh, apparently it’s out already 🙂

Nasa has announced that it has found evidence of flowing water on Mars — a discovery with potentially huge implications for the possibility of life on the planet. Scientists have long suspected that the planet might have running water. But the new findings confirm that it is on the planet, combined with “hydrated salts” in a brine. Normally, water on Mars freezes or evaporates, because of the intense environment on the planet. But the addition of salts means that it is much more stable, allowing it to survive on the Red Planet.

Drac

Cool! Water not ice.

scandal42
    Free Member

So have they found water or simply evidence that it might be there?

seosamh77
    Free Member

water is liquid on mars from 0C to 10C

salt water us liquid from -70C (I think) to 24C and is found in loads of locations all over mars.

basicall it’s not just the discover of liquid water, but a fairly detailed explaination of the water cycle on mars.

This is very good for human colonisation and also for further search for life on mars.

Trimix
    Free Member

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, they said.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Cool! Water not ice.

Does this mean that there’s been a climate change? Have they hit the industrial revolution?

seosamh77
    Free Member

paulosoxo – Member
    Drac – Moderator
    Cool! Water not ice.
    Does this mean that there’s been a climate change? Have they hit the industrial revolution?

went passed that about 3 billion years ago.

Sui
    Free Member

well done trimix 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Will I live in the unluckiest manned space exploration generation ever?

ie, miss the moon landings, and die before further moon/Mars manned missions?

GrahamS

miss the moon landings

I’m sure someone must have taped them for you.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

How could they tape something THAT NEVER HAPPENED! #tinfoilhat

philxx1975
    Free Member

Wait till they fake the Mars landings

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Great film.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Spoiler alert, the BBC have just revealed it’s Water..

seosamh77
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member
    Will I live in the unluckiest manned space exploration generation ever?

ie, miss the moon landings, and die before further moon/Mars manned missions?

I’d take the culmination of knowledge we have right now over seeing the moon landings live.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘The NASA Mars announcement; what will it be?’ is closed to new replies.