• This topic has 28 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by st66.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The most STW question I've ever asked. Recommend me a….
  • binners

…portable fire pit! 😀

To come to the lakes with me next week. Not too big, as its being chucked in a car smaller than an Octavia VRS estate (though I have previously owned one of those). Just something to sit around while burning stuff, and drinking resolutely un-craft ale (Stella). preferably not too expensive pleased. I’m not bothered if its been cast by an artisan ironmonger in Somerset or owt. I just want to burn stuff!

Your words of wisdom please oh STW massive….

jekkyl

an old steel car wheel.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Dig your own?

Speshpaul

A fridge

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You’ll have a spare mattress or two on the lawn surely?

fasthaggis

At a local tip near you

You’re an artist,get going with an angle grinder.
    What could possibly go wrong? 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

http://www.johnlewis.com/foras-pure-75-firepit-bowl/p1783191

includes free delivery, so all in all it’s a bit of a barg

MSP

Which part of the portable fire pit do you most need to be hand crafted by artisans?

The shovel?
    The stones?
    The wood?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI[/video]

maccruiskeen

the drum from an old washing machine

jambalaya
    Free Member

includes free delivery, so all in all it’s a bit of a barg

Plus the price match and extended warranty 🙂

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

^^^ That washing machine drum idea is actually a sensible suggestion

LINKY

thenorthwind

In entirely non-STW fashion, a serious answer…

My friend has one of these and has been so pleased with it he’s just bought me one, because that’s the sort of guy he is 🙂

It’s fairly thin so I won’t be leaving it outside all the time, but that makes it light enough to take car camping, plus the legs fold and it comes with a grill and a carrying bag.

crikey
    Free Member

Go to the garden centre, buy a chiminea. Then you can use it in tha garden when tha gets home.

They’re about £60-80 and should dismantle easy enough…

thenorthwind

Since I clicked on that John Lewis link, I’ve immediately got targeted ads for a £19k summerhouse and a £8k “garden studio” (shed) 😀

sobriety
    Free Member

I have one of these

Cheap, cheerful and does the trick.

maccruiskeen

That washing machine drum idea is actually a sensible suggestion

Try not to sound too surprised 🙂

Cougar

I have one of these

Cheap, cheerful and does the trick.

So have I. It’s ok, mine’s pretty rusty now but it still works just fine. Best thing about it is it takes up no space (which was a concern for me), I can’t see it lasting very long though.

Saccades
    Free Member

I often use a portable bbq (ace for camping and not having to worry about the ground) but at home I have this:

Smudger666

got one of these – its ok for a few ‘logs’ after BBQ finished.

folding notebook BBQ

not bad, not massive but folds flat.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Aldi have them going for £20 (I’ve had one of this type for 8 years). It has folding legs and everything 🙂

https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/64958/1

My local (near Chesterfield) aldi have loads of them but that’s probably no help..

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

We got one off the Halfrods website, search “Cazal fire pit”. Halfrods was a tenner cheaper than everyone else.

Off to Northumberland with ours.

crikey
    Free Member

Our DIY shop in the village has these for £54…..

binners

Thanks all. As you can imagine I simply had to have the John Lewis one because…. well…. its John Lewis isn’t it? And with the free postage…..

Actually I’m going to get the foldy-away notebooky one. As it won’t take up much space in the car, and as I’ve two girls, the car will be completely stuffed full of god only knows what

Thanks again all. I knew I could count on you 😀

tod456
    Free Member

don’t bother trying to use it as a BBQ, the thin side (on mine) warped when it get’s hot and the grill dropped out 🙁 #

footflaps

Thanks all. As you can imagine I simply had to have the John Lewis one because…. well…. its John Lewis isn’t it? And with the free postage…..

Plus you get 1% back in vouchers on your John Lewis credit card….

IHN

In true STW contrariness, we’ve had one in the van for a while and it works fine as a BBQ. Never used it as a firepit though, hmmm….

4130s0ul
    Free Member

maybe a little leftfield compared to some suggestions so far but I use this…

Remove the handle and use a couple of tent pegs to keep it off the floor.
    I sometimes take it wild camping with me so we can have a small fire without fear of scorching the ground.
    it slots neatly into the exterior pocket of my rucksack (Osprey Atmos 50) and I can carry out the ashes in the morning by tipping into a placky bag and slipping that under the wok.
    not a bad fire bowl for a total of £5

st66

Galvanised bucket with some holes drilled around the side at the bottom for airflow. Could double as a BBQ with a grill on top.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The most STW question I've ever asked. Recommend me a….’ is closed to new replies.