• This topic has 36 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by grimep.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The most American event I’ve ever seen
  • sharkattack

At first I couldn’t believe this is real, but then, of course it is. The only way to improve it is have everyone on the ground shooting at the cars.

It’s worth watching the beginning to meet the organiser. The rest is self explanatory.

copa
    Free Member

The only way to improve it is have everyone on the ground shooting at the cars.

Or add some gators.

piemonster

It looks like Ckarkson Top Gear with rednecks

leffeboy

it’s refreshingly un-safe.  Leaning in through the car window to knock it into gear and pull a strap to force the accelerator on hard.  What could possibly go wrong 🙂

csb

Safer than cheese rolling.

slowoldman

Alaska!

andrewh
    Free Member
    thols2

I came here expecting to see this 4th of July party.

dyna-ti

We’re quite good at launching cars ourselves.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh.

Guess that explains where Gambler cars that can no longer make the cut go to die.

sharkattack

it’s refreshingly un-safe.  Leaning in through the car window to knock it into gear and pull a strap to force the accelerator on hard.  What could possibly go wrong 🙂

I kept expecting someone to get their dungarees caught on a wing mirror and be dragged over the edge.

nickc

desperatebicycle

So, erm… Arnie Nrncir must’ve got bored writing his name so dropped a few vowels.
    And er, how surprised can you sound when another car crashes into the ground off a cliff?
    Hik. Shitkickin at it’s finest.

desperatebicycle

Don’t forget, America has American Football too!

fasthaggis

I am always amazed at how big the crowds of Americans are at (what appear to be) these obscure events. I know that there are millions more of them over there ,but they do seem to turn up in droves to watch anything daft.

convert

And how far have they travelled to see this? First car over the cliff….”cool, that’s not something I’ve seen before!” – the second “Yeach, still cool – but quite a lot like the first” – the third “OK, I get it -that’s what a car driving off a cliff looks like, can we do something else now?”.

But there again, that’s pretty much what every American sport looks like to me. And millions of them drag themselves to church every Sunday. So maybe their collective boredom threshold is impressively high.

dawson

See also; Burn-out competitions – where they drive a car into an arena, rev the nuts off it to spin the wheels so much that they eventually burst the tyres (and get bonus points for doing so)

bigdean

What about the big Sandy shoot?

Year you have guns, some big guns some full auto.

Then there the guy who brings a 50cal ball turret.

I’m sure it’s the same event where they get remote controlled air craft and try to shoot it down.

nickc

Damn, I really want to go to Bomber Camp!

avdave2

Damn, I really want to go to Bomber Camp!

Tax deductible too, that’s the next works outing sorted.😂

I was actually lucky enough to spend 7 years of my life blowing things up, it never got old.

corroded
    Free Member

I went to the Daytona 500 many years ago. That was pretty darn ‘Murican, especially the truck park and the Air Force flypasts.

convert

I was lucky (or spent too much time training) to qualify for a triathlon world championship race that was held in Florida. Being a worlds it was obviously a very international field but I think there was a wave of non-champs entrants too so it was more ‘mercan than you would expect for a world champs. Just before the start we were all stood on the beach ready to dive in and some random got up and ‘prayed for us’ (one of those long rambling freestyle prayers come sermons – I previously no idea god was into swimming, biking and running) and then another random sang an unaccompanied solo of star spangled banner. To that point I think the most I’d experienced in the run up to a race was an MC playing something by Faithless to get everyone revved up or some Mr Motivator wannabe stood on a platform doing star jumps. The American participants and the crowd all got well into it – hands over hearts, stood to attention. There were tears. The athletes from the rest of the world, especially Europe, just stood about bemused – like when you are dragged to a church as an atheist for a wedding and the prayers go on and on and you get bored of staring at the ceiling – you don’t want to be rude but you’ll be **** if you’ll get dragged into the nonsense. It was at that point I truly got that they are an entirely different species to Europeans. We will never understand each other.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Back sometime around the mid-90’s I was on the short flight from Dallas to Austin. A big proportion of the passengers turned out to be from the football (American) team from the University of Texas along with their supporters and… more importantly their cheer leaders who were still in “costume”. Once we were airborne the girls went into full performance mode in the aisle.

Great fun, great atmosphere. (they has won btw)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Bomber camp looks ace 😂 👍

DickBarton

Bomber camp sounds utterly brilliant!

I know the cars were stripped of some of the parts (like people), but it was interesting to see that all the engines were in the front, the 2 that went really far ended up landing rear first…

defblade
    Free Member

I think I might be secretly a little bit American. I like all those videos… and the sound of BomberCamp…

Northwind

Right so we’re all going to bomber camp.

hatter

Mrs Hatter is an American import and I have some fairly rootin’ tootin’ armed to the teeth inlaws.

Do I enjoy getting to play with AK47’s when I’m over there?…. yes.

I am I also happy to be able to fly back home and be safe in the knowledge that anyone I may get into an altercation with is highly inlikely to be carrying some kind of firearm…. also yes.

nickc

Mrs nickc is Canadian, and we like to think that they’re Americans with most of the rough edges taken off…Which is true most of the time, but some of her relatives…they’d be absolutely at home in Texas or Oklahoma.

theotherjonv

The athletes from the rest of the world, especially Europe, just stood about bemused

Many years ago I went to the international sales conference of our US based multinational, in a golf resort in Tampa

It was a great event with some very good presentations and interactions, but then on the final day we had a keynote address on the subject of Teamwork, with a proper all american real life Top Gun type ex-fighter pilot. He was very eloquent and polished and managed to vaguely stay on topic by saying he could never have done what he did without the support of his ground crew and mechanics and so on – so we all have a part to play that is valuable, etc.

It’s the “What I did” bit of his presentation that was majorly – I don’t even know the word really? Somewhere in the triangle between bemusing, offensive and ‘ground please swallow me up this is so uncomfortable’. Because he illustrated his talk with tales of combat in Vietnam and how many gooks and commies and etc he’d killed which made him one of the top confirmed combat kill guys in history. While (some of, to be fair some were as shocked as we were) americans were teary eyed, hands on hearts, whooping and hollering….. our Russian and Vietnamese colleagues were distinctly less amused.

Oh, and he did it all while wearing a stars and stripes shirt just to confirm how great murica is.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Mrs nickc is Canadian, and we like to think that they’re Americans with most of the rough edges taken off

My limited experience of Canadians makes me think that they’re Americans with rougher edges but painted over in pretty colour.

avdave2

There was this one time at bomber camp…….

leffeboy

applauds. that was so nearly a spit the tea out moment

hatter

*snort* bravo sir.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Did you get owned so hard you couldn’t walk for a week?

Right so we’re all going to bomber camp.

Yes.

LeeW

It’s not just a recent thing for Americans, in 1896 the was a town in Texas built to demonstrate what would happen if two steam trains crashed in to each other. Town was called Crush, event, the crash at Crush.

40k people showed up at the equivalent of $100/ticket. People died, and got quite famous from it.

grimep
    Free Member

Most American Event, 80s Edition:

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.