Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The monkey ate my brake pads
  • steve73
    Free Member

i rode cannock on Sunday in the rain, sleet, and snow and somehow i managed to use up a set of hope x2 race pads in the course of riding 18 miles ! My last set have lasted me since the summer and have done many hundreds of miles i am a little surprised at this short life span. It was wetter than a wet thing on a wet day on the chase.

motox2k
    Free Member

tis grinding paste.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve had whole bikes reduced to a frame over the course of a winter on the chase. Folks with rigid singlespeeds are not being niche whores they are being thrifty.

godzilla
    Free Member

I had a set of m4 pads last seven days in the Alps then seven months in the UK, replace then with genuine Hope pads and they lasted a month! Not half as annoying as finding out mice ate the air filter on my Scorpa.

nickswolves
    Free Member

I went through a set of pads at Cannock a few weeks ago, they were resin though 🙄 now replaced with sintered.

Puts me off going there this time of year when its like a muddy paste, not good for pads or rotors.

stumpy01

Did you bed them in?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Black Park on Sun.. Sintered rear and organic front. The cheeky monkey ate them both! It’s not even as if I used my brakes either.

scruff
    Free Member

There is no need to use brakes around the Chase, its dull and flat. Hence the requirment for 29er / singlespeed / phat bikes to bring some excitement into dull Brummies lives.

njee20
    Free Member

Black Park on Sun.. Sintered rear and organic front. kevlar both ends. The cheeky monkey ate them both! It’s not even as if I used my brakes either.

+1, and the spring clips and part of the backing plate, and has made a bit of a mess of my rotors too. I was braking fewer than 5 times a lap, so not really sure how it happened.

Gotta love the UK in ‘winter’.

I find pads do have a habit of lasting months with no discernible wear whatsoever then vaporise in one particularly grim ride!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Cannock ate my transmission a while back – as the above posters have said, just add water for instant grinding paste.

Then the cap it all the jetwash took the chrome off my seat clamp…

snakebite
    Free Member

You have it easy, remember rim brakes…. 😯

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve heard that if you use fresh pads straight away in dirt, they don’t bed in, so the surface of the pads is worn down really quickly. If you bed them in by doing some hard stops in dry (or wet, but not muddy) conditions it won’t happen. I’ve never experienced this phenomenon (I always just chuck the pads in and ride) but perhaps it affects certain pads / compounds.

dabble
    Free Member

Bed em in n they last longer, theres another thread on here somewhere extolling the joys of bedding your brakes in.

MrTall
    Free Member

Think it’s just the conditions at Cannock, not lack of bedding in.

I have only ridden there once in the last year and it ruined the pads that had been in the bike for around a year with no problems. No rear brake at all by the end, levers back to the bars and using the backing plate to stop – not the quietest….

tazzymtb

Hence the requirment for 29er / singlespeed / phat bikes to bring some excitement into dull Brummies lives.

+ lots

yow brummies are very dull 😀

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

+1, and the spring clips and part of the backing plate, and has made a bit of a mess of my rotors too. I was braking fewer than 5 times a lap, so not really sure how it happened.

Yup. It was doomed from the start. Luckily the monkey was sated before he got all the way through the backing plate and ate my pistons for pudding. My shiny new Goldtec wonky ring isn’t so shiny now either 🙁

emac65
    Free Member

What are Brummies doing on OUR Cannock Chase ? ?

tazzymtb

My shiny new Goldtec wonky ring isn’t so shiny now either

cannock is famous for mangling your ring, especially in certain carparks after dark

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The monkey ate my brake pads’ is closed to new replies.