Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The Mekons – does anyone remember this band
  • toab
    Free Member

apparently they started as as new wave punk in the late 70s then went folk in the mid 80s and then got onto c&w.

any fans out there?

wombat

I remember them, they were great (as I remember it)

DezB
    Free Member

I recall something to do with Semour…

woody2000

I do, but only because my mate shacked up with Rico Bell's (Eric Bellis) daughter for a while. She were nuts I tell thee!

TooTall
    Free Member

you mean The Mekons who are playing Bristol tonight? Yes – I know their work. Is this a poor spam for their tour??

toab
    Free Member

not exactly a spam – I'm in one of the support bands for tomorrow nights gig and I was interested to see how popular / well known they are

john_drummer
    Free Member

They were well known but never huge.

I preferred The Three Johns

Good luck with the gig 🙂

my band supported Spear Of Destiny on Sunday, that was fun

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Like John says, they were well known in the punk/indie scene, but never any mass appeal. unlike most bands, I think they lasted the whole of the punk scene, they were going as early as 77, I think.

TooTall
    Free Member

toab – better known that your band then! heh

kilo

The Mekons are god's! One of my favourite bands in my youth, got into them as they were entering their C&w phase (Fear & Loathing, Edge of the World era) . Jon Langford, who was also in the Three Johns was on vocals also with Sally Timms and Susan Honeyman on the fiddle amongst others.

"Where were you" was a classic earlier single;

stever
    Free Member

I still listen to 'Where were you?' off the Fast compilation. I'd no idea they'd gone c&w.

stever
    Free Member

Ooh look, it's on Spotify. Brilliant 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The 3 johns were the house band at the 1in12 club in Bradford in the early eighties, saw them a few times there.Classic 3 Johns chicken-dance-tastic

john_drummer
    Free Member

I'd forgotten how good that was, cheers 🙂

somewhere in this house is a C90 cassette with Atom Drum Bop on one side and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "The Firstborn is Dead" on it…

snowslave

Where were you is **** excellent.

snowslave

Seem to remember a double single with some lyrics that went

caught my wife in bed
    with another man
    reeeeeading the guardian

Which is nice

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

All my old cassettes have just gone to the tip. I thought about listening to them and selectively buying MP3, but couldn't be bothered in the end. I still have Atom Drum Bop on vinyl and Nick Cave Birthday Party EPs and Albums.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I never had it on vinyl; it belonged to a g/f at the time

iain1775
    Free Member

sure I recall an old interview with Kurt Cobain where he was wearing a Mekons T Shirt

MrNutt
    Free Member

seem to remember listening to them when I was supposed to be in school 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The Mekons – does anyone remember this band’ is closed to new replies.