Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • The Matrix
  • chakaping
    Free Member

If the Star War prequels have been give the benefit of hindsight

Have they? Not on my watch!

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Some clever use of effects as also discussed in previously posted videos

zilog6128

I watched the original version again a few weeks back, didn’t think it had aged badly at all.

Yup. It was **** awesome in fact on the big screen 😂

It stands up really well after 20 years. As has been mentioned above, most of the special effects are largely practical e.g. gunfights, explosions, bullet time, the chopper crash, etc so still look great. The whole film has that cool grainy look of something filmed on a proper camera, not the super smooth, glossy look of e.g. superhero films today.

The only scene which looked noticeably pants is the big explosion after the lobby shootout, where the lift door flies towards the “camera”. IIRC this is 100% CGI and it really shows.

The not 100% convincing/aged CGI actually works great in the context of the matrix being a virtual world, e.g. the scene where Neo tries to jump for the first time but falls, and then kind of goes through some spongy asphalt. It doesn’t look real, but then it isn’t real, so it still works!

There was a big wave of retro nostalgia at the start with the green-screen CRTs and those split ergonomic keyboards that were everywhere in the 90s, but I don’t think that the dated tech is a problem, as the matrix was always meant to be contemporary, not futuristic. In fact the aesthetic was retro even when it was released, most of the cars used are old 50/60s style ones, there are rotary telephones, 50s style TVs, all the furniture & building internals etc are very retro.

The soundtrack is ace too (which I’d largely forgotten about), works brilliantly.

The definitive cyberpunk movie (not that there are many decent ones to pick).

Drac

Watching the end now as went out for tea.

It really hasn’t aged the some and picture on 4K is amazing.

Oh and yes some of the CGI does look a bit poop, the silver liquid oozing over Neo for example but overall it’s stands up.

zilog6128

Oh and yes some of the CGI does look a bit poop, the silver liquid oozing over Nero for example

yeah, however that one gets a pass from me as it’s taking place within the matrix so actually makes sense for it to look a bit computery and unreal!

Drac

Even though everything else in The Matrix looks real?

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you guys really care if the CGI looks dated or not? Would it make the movie worse for you if it did?

Not being argumentative, genuinely curious.

funkmasterp

Shoddy CGI really can date a movie and if I’ve not seen it for a while can make a difference to my enjoyment of it. The memory glosses over the shit bits. When you watch again it can be jarring. Not the best example (as they are rubbish), but the Star Wars prequels are made worse by the fact that they look like they were made last week by the sci-fi channel.

zilog6128

Even though everything else in The Matrix looks real?

yes… the things that look real are computer representations of real things… this is a representation of an unreal thing… makes sense to me 😂

Do you guys really care if the CGI looks dated or not? Would it make the movie worse for you if it did?

It would be jarring, I think. Like the way everything in the Phantom Menace looks plastic-y and fake. The Matrix still looks (as intended) dirty, gritty and real. So having to put your believability on hold is one less thing to think about!

chakaping
    Free Member

I think I tend to give older movies a pass on naff CGI, especially if I saw them when new. Unless they’re annoyingly bad, obvs.

Drac

Yes bag CGI looks horrendous as it ages.

yes… the things that look real are computer representations of real things… this is a representation of an <em class=”bbcode-em”>unreal thing… makes sense to me 😂

Haha!

Spin
    Free Member

Two observations about the sequels.

Firstly, if they stood alone we’d probably think better of them. Its just that in comparison to the original…

and, there are some really good ideas in them (like the whole cast of sentient programs) as well as the shit ones (like the Zion rave).

sirromj

Just watched the Matrix in 1080p, CGI looks great 😉 10/10 will watch again in 10 15 years time.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and those split ergonomic keyboards that were everywhere in the 90s

I’m typing on one now…

robowns
    Free Member

I watched the whole trilogy recently. The first one is awesome, still one of my favourite films, but I’d overlooked just how bad the acting is. Keanu is absolutely terrible.
    I then watched the second, not too bad, overboard on the CGI, but kind of watchable.
    The third, completely atrocious.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Matrix was the second DVD I ever bought – import from Canada from (was it) DVD Box office, as R1 had more content. Probably looks really dated now but might be worth a watch again.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘The Matrix’ is closed to new replies.