Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The Marble Arch – You’ve changed, but not for the better babe….
  • RustySpanner

….I’d them why, but what’s the use?

Dry January long over, time to sample some of the beers my in-laws bought me for Christmas.

Sooo….The Marble Brewery Amontillardo Old Ale.
    12.5%.
    Sounds promising.

‘Aged in a sherry cask for one year with a house microflora’.
    Warning bells begin to ring.

First taste and the gag reflex kicks in.
    Seduce my footwear, nothing I’ve ever drank, for pleasure or otherwise, has tasted so utterly rank.
    Think Bristol Cream mixed with Barley Wine, strained through a tramp’s cheesecloth and matured in Dennis Nilsen’s u-bend.

Jesus H Corbett in a piss powered sidecar, that stuff is rank.

I loved the Marble Arch.
    It’s sloping floor, it’s beautiful tiling, it’s eclectic jukebox, it’s tolerance of Manchester’s least boring alcoholics.

But, if you accidentally step in something unpleasant next time you cross the hallowed step, I’ve submitted my off-line review.

prettygreenparrot

12.5%? Aged in sherry casks? ‘Micro flora’? Sounds like something to avoid from all of those qualities. ‘Micro flora’ is surely code for ‘sour’? That alone is reason enough to avoid it. 🤮

How was ‘Pint’?

willard

Aged in sherry casks sounds good for either a whisky or a stout. Not sure about other types of beer. Maybe a lambic…

myti
    Free Member

I love a lambic/sour beer but 12.5 percent is too much.

mikeyp

In there last week. Still does good beer, always will and I’ll always have a soft spot for it. Not sure what possessed you to try that one. Very brave

richardkennerley

I’d be happy to try it, but I wouldn’t expect it to be pleasant!

Ginger is great though.

kelvin

Marble still make beer for (us) old men, don’t worry. Brewers like to widen their offering, and many drinkers appreciate the (sometimes bewildering) choice now in front of them. It sounds like simply reading the label would have told you that one is not for you… the danger of present buying! You’ve tried something new now though, that’s a gift in itself, even if you just found out what you don’t like.

kelvin

If you want to give barrel aged beers a second try, Cloudwater and Vocation have done some great ones in recent years. I do consider them “Christmas Beers”… and have bought them for people as Xmas presents the last two years myself.

derek_starship
    Free Member

“Seduce my footwear”

Chapeau Pete!

Harry_the_Spider

…and how much did you pay for this dirty watter?

I have a theory that there is a touch of the Emperor’s New Clothes about “Craft” beer, specifically designed to relieve beards of their cash. But then again I’m a notorious tight wad who drinks Joey Holts or J W Lees.

edhornby

JW Lees beer is pretty good – some of the Holts beers aren’t too bad depending on the pub serving it (the Goats gate bitter is rubbish, I don’t know how they get it wrong)

RustySpanner

Harry_the_Spider
    …and how much did you pay for this dirty watter?

Nuffin, Christmas prezzie innit?
    EDIT: Looks like the son in law paid £14.00 for it. I’ll have a word…

Had a small bottle of Orchard Gold Welsh Cider and a Waitrose(!) IPA to get rid of the taste.
    Much better, but I’d rather have had a pint of Holts or Lees.

Having not had a drink since Christmas, I’m tempted to sack it in all together tbh.

Young man’s game…..

derek_starship
    Free Member

A well kept JWL’s bitter is very, very good. I used to order two when I first went to the bar in the Railway & Linnet at miggy junction as the first one and the sides never encountered one another.

£FOURTEEN?

Bloody Nora – I think I need to seduce your footwear too!

augustuswindsock

12.5%!!!
    That’s a spirit, not a beer surely? And not to be drunk in pints I’d have thought!

Harry_the_Spider

£14!

Your son in law has had more than his footwear seduced.

impatientbull

I’m not a big fan of barrel aged beers, but for balance that one is Marble’s second highest rated beer on Untapped: https://untappd.com/MarbleBeers/beer?sort=highest_abv As far as the strength goes, I think strong beers need to drunk more like wine.

kelvin

Indeed, a generous present. Shame it didn’t hit the mark, but everyone has different tastes. I have tiny glasses for beers like that… I drink it more like port than wine. Not every beer is a session beer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The Marble Arch – You’ve changed, but not for the better babe….’ is closed to new replies.