Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The Manhattan Project to End Fad Diets
  • Cougar

I thought this might be relevant to some interests here.

Imagine what could be done if we had an X-men-like group of the world’s best scientists, independently funded and uninfluenced by industry, tackling the most important questions in nutrition?

Starting today, we have such a group: the Nutrition Science Initiative (NuSI).

Born from a shared vision of its co-founders, this non-profit will fund research that applies first-of-its-kind, rigorous scientific experimentation to the field of nutrition.

Contributing researchers will span the dietary spectrum, including scientists who personally adhere to veganism; low-carb, high-protein diets; and everything in between. This purposeful “agree to disagree” mix is integral to the success of the project, as biases are discarded in favor of solid, experimental data.

No hidden agenda, no corporate interests, nothing to do with food subsidies or ulterior motives. Just good science. It’s about time, right?

Further reading:
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2012/09/12/nusi/

GrahamS

Wasn’t this dude in X-Men?

loum
    Free Member

The end of fad diets, The start of The Cold (food) War.

molgrips
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Like as well

MSP

I expect

the world’s best scientists

are currently working on more complex issues than the ins and outs of the paelo diet.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I expect you are right msp

IanMunro
    Free Member

Maybe I’m missing something as I’ve only skim read it, but it sounds remarkably naive to think obesity can be solved if only we had the definitive scientific answer (which there won’t be) to nutrition.
    It’s like exercise ain’t it. Telling people that exercise will make them healthier won’t make them healthier. They’ve got to do the exercise. Everyone knows this, how many do it?

MSP

Maybe I’m missing something

Yes your missing the upcoming opportunity to by some special genuine snake oil, at a “once in a lifetime special offer only available to yourself and other carefully selected winners” price!

scuzz
    Free Member

Maybe I’m missing something as I’ve only skim read it, but it sounds remarkably naive to think obesity smallpox can be solved if only we had the definitive scientific answer (which there won’t be) to nutrition immunisation.

It’s all just cells, innit.

MSP

For gods sake, look at the site in the link, the person promoting it, FFS if this has anything to do with science then Gillian Mckeith is a real Dr.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t dismiss it. What they are trying to find out is how the body actually worked, what’s important and what’s not. Yes, there are fatties who eat pies all day, we know they will be healthier if they don’t. But there are people who try to lose weight and don’t succeed, sometimes because there is so much conflicting information around. Coupled with the fact that people respond differently to different things , it results in a minefield. This puts some people off even trying.

If we understood our bodies well enough we might be able to reliably work out how to give individual advice on how to manage weight without being miserable.

Why do we like pies so much? Is there anything we can do to pies or ourselves to change that? What causes some of us to go from “oh I wouldn’t mind a pie but I won’t” to “sod the diet I need a pie”?

MSP

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s all just cells, innit.

Well that would be awesome if we could be inoculated against obesity*, but in the mean time, I’ll just eat sensibly 🙂

*BTW – I stuck ‘innoculated against obseity.’ to give me the right spelling, and the first result was

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/opinion/ian-munro/7317685/Kids-weight-a-serious-issue-to-be-tackled

Now that’s serious tailoring of results!

scuzz
    Free Member

Haha! Google strikes again 🙂
    I think the source [The Blog of Tim Ferriss (who ever he is)] says more about the credibility of Cougar than NuSI 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I have actually read a Tim Ferriss book, and he is quite clever and reasonable in what he does and how he says it .

IanMunro
    Free Member

What a great article! 😀 😀

It takes a longer time to show the effect. Cold showers make the blood alkaline, while hot showers make the blood acid.

The pH of blood is 7.4. This means that it is slightly alkaline. This alkalinity has to be kept almost constant; even minor variations are dangerous. If the blood lowers to pH 6.95 (barely over the line of the acid side), a coma and death result.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The Manhattan Project to End Fad Diets’ is closed to new replies.