• This topic has 82 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JRTG.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • The longest bike race in the world!
  • keppoch

I am following this quite keenly, the consistency of daily distance Mike is completing is incredible and for the moment is way ahead of the competition. I will be interested to see how he gets on in India which I can’t help but think is going to be a different cycling environment!

keppoch.

mudshark
    Free Member

Looks like he’s going for around 100 days – fantastic.

Blackhound

His mum would like him back for his birthday which is 96 days apparently. His target is a little longer than that, very close to what mudshark suggests.

He is nearly 1,000 miles ahead of Simon in second place. The next 3 riders Martin, Sean and Richard have all had trans atlantic flights already. Will be interesting to see Mike’s lead when he gets pedalling again in India where I understand he has cycled before.

Hoping to get some race replays on track leaders at some point as well. Trackleaders have apologised, they have full time jobs and family, and have to get all the routes plugged in first.

monkeyp

I know he drove a tuktuk through india, so at least he’ll be familiar with the roads…

aracer
    Free Member

Doubt they’re doing more than 200w average, so if they ride 10 hours that’s 0.2kWh

Extra maths homework for Nick.

mudshark
    Free Member

Mike’s tracker hasn’t updated for a while now, has he been stuck in an airport?

http://trackleaders.com/worldcycleracei.php?name=Mike_Hall

njee20
    Free Member

Extra maths homework for Nick.

Do you know I wrote 2kWh, then changed it, then felt silly. By then it was too late.

wardster
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to meet Mike about 200km south of Perth last night, what can I say a true inspiration, a credit to his sponsors and an all round nice fella, I had a chat with him while he re loaded on pizza, he said he had a few injuries on the bike but has managed them and to be fair for the short few km’s I rode with him it didn’t look like much will hold him back.

JRTG
    Free Member

Glad to hear mikes injuries are not slowing him down much!

Heres the link again to the tracking website.

Wish I was riding along the coast of Australia, although I wouldn’t have wanted to get there via all of europe and a big chunk of asia…..

World Cycle Race 2012

bland

Thats Australia crossed! 11000km and counting now

Blackhound

Mike reached Brisbane a few hours ago and, if my calc’s are correct, he has done 49.5% distance in 47* riding days so is on for 94/5 days. Awesome!

* According to the rules days in transit don’t count.

Note that the SPOT trackers are underscoring, not sure what the problem is. So, I am using the daily SPOT location and Google Maps for the distance estimates for now.

A few people are trying to ride 1,000 miles in April as a personal challenge. Mike has done about 2,400 already. So that is his and mine done – off for some biscuits…

A couple of hospitalisations as well. Sean Conway got hit by a truck doing 55mph in Arkansas and is just back in the race wearing a neck brace. Simon Hutchinson, the only Irish rider, had a collision with a truck and on the way to hospital his tracker, passport, phone, camera went missing.

blades2000
    Free Member

So do we think Mike Hall will wave, stop or have a coffee with Richard Dunnett as they should pass each other today?

World Cycle Race Track Leaders

Ringo
    Free Member

its absolutely amzing what Mike has done so far

miketually
    Free Member

Note that the SPOT trackers are underscoring, not sure what the problem is.

They only sample the position occasionally, then join the dots with straight lines. So, corners tend to get missed off.

blades2000
    Free Member

agreed,400miles in 33hours! 😯

grahamt1980

Thats unreal, 13000km in 40 odd days!!!!!

bland

NZ south island in 55 hrs after nearly 10000 miles, and 170 mile/day average!

His videos on FB of the Nullabor are compelling viewing, im sure he will post them up in good time but he has been to hell and back across OZ.

NZ should be complete in 5 days total, my hero!

scud
    Free Member

I’ve been following these guys one Twitter (only thing i have found worth following) and have nothing but admiration for them. Mike Hall’s 400 miles in 33 hours really is inhuman and I must admit there has been a few instances where after a hard day at work or if it is raining outside and i could have easily bunked off a ride, i’ve asked myself:

“what would Mike do”?

miketually
    Free Member

I’m reading Mark Beaumont’s book on his record ride and that’s humbling to see what he went through and how hard it was. Then I look at Mike averaging 70% further every day!

Blackhound

Mike and Richard did meet up in NZ after one went Eastwards and the other Westwards:

http://worldcycleracing.com/east-meets-west/

bland

He had breakfast with martin walker this morning too at the airport.

Current stats are an impressive: Total distance at Auckland: 16255km (10100 miles) Total riding time is around 50 days and 14 hrs.

Blackhound

Indeed bland, ~320km / 200 miles per riding day! Mike is also finding time to help and offer advice to other racers via Twitter. Top man.

GaryLake
    Free Member

“what would Mike do”?

😀

blades2000
    Free Member

so in case people have not seen. This is the a Video Mike put together showing what a tough time he had in Australia.

“what would Mike do”?

It would appear ride even if he is super sick

you tube video of Mike Hall Austraila.

matt_outandabout

Still enjoying ‘watching’ the race and amazed at these guys and what they are achieving.

Blackhound

Mike is in France and plan’s to finish at Greenwich on Monday 4th June. This will knock about 12/13 days off the current record for a time of around 93 days.

Tracker here:

http://trackleaders.com/worldcycleracei.php?name=Mike_Hall

transapp
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, it’d take me 2 weeks to get back from where he is now – let alone at the end of that ride!

Incredible

bland

Anyone know anyone in media world to get him some coverage on his return, or even on the finish line?

joolzed
    Free Member

Well I’ve just emailed BBC News so fingers crossed someone notices;0)

BadlyWiredDog

So he’ll be back for his birthday on Monday if all goes to plan then, ace!

I had that Mike Hall sat in my kitchen after he got back from the Divide thang last year telling us all about how he was going to ride round the world and, to be honest, I thought it was all a bit far fetched. Boy, was I wrong.

Hats off on an extraordinary ride (so far) and one of the nicest things about it is that you couldn’t meet a nicer bloke. There’s not an ounce of side or ego to him.

Blake

Unbelievable effort by Mike, averaging over 180 miles every day for the last 3 months, unsupported! Nuts.

JRTG
    Free Member

Bump!! Mike should finish around 11am tomorrow! Amazing and totaly inspiring. Makes we want to ride more (but not that much)

bland

Kaboom!

What an effort bud!

Done it guys, smashed to pieces

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Won!!! Just watched finish, very emotional. What an inspiration.pics to follow.

Blackhound

Was whisked off to Sky Sports studio for an interview. His lycra is now baggy!

AlexSimon

Unbelievable stuff. Glad he holds it instead of the guy with the sag wagon.

blades2000
    Free Member

A fantastic effort, I believe today is his birthday also double celebrations.
    He has been quick from the start, but an unofficial time under 92 days is incredible.

Edit
    Guardian Article about win

Duggan

Jut off out soon but going to leave this here so I can read later

trail_rat
    Free Member

Job well done mike

Unbelievable effort.

radoggair
    Free Member

humbled.com

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘The longest bike race in the world!’ is closed to new replies.