Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • The Living in Britain Test.
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Apparently one of the questions is:

“Is the statement below true or false? British scientists were the first to clone a mammal successfully. The animal was a rabbit.”

Somebody needs their P45…

oldnpastit

Dolly the Sheep?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yes that was indeed the first mammal that was cloned successfully.

It was more that the first statement is correct, but the second statement isn’t – so which is the correct answer?

RustySpanner

I can’t see what the problem is.

mjb

Ahh, but the second statement is below it so the answer is false 🙂

tmb467
    Free Member

just means that either a True or False answer can be passed or failed, depending on who is marking the test

wordnumb
    Free Member

Somebody needs their P45…

Not if the policy is to reduce the number of people coming to live in Britain.

GrahamS

Erm..

Dolly was not the first animal to be cloned, she gained this attention in the media because she was the first to be cloned from an adult cell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_%28sheep%29

So.. False.. probably.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

not sure what bearing this would have anyway, apart the ability to know or google the answer to a random question , what about , do you have a job and what contribution do you feel you could make to society ?

crankboy
    Free Member

I fail all three do you want to live in Britain questions . When do you put your bins out? No idea. The cloning mammals one above and do you want to live in a country that rounds up dusky people and ships them off in police vans if they do not happen to be carrying documentary proof of their right to be here? I never carry documentary proof of my right to be here but fall outside of the group of suspects as like many illegals I am pale pink.

br
    Free Member

Is a Tablet

1. A device for surfing the Internet
    2. Something Moses used
    3. An edible diabetic-inducing sweet

Pick one.

Northwind

That really is a daft question. Google suggests that the correct answer is false- the first reliable account of a cloned mammal was either in the US or UK (2 declared success at about the same time, calculus style) but neither was a rabbit, one was a cow and one was a sheep.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is this the test you get a booklet to revise from? So the correct answer is whatever is in the booklet.

br
    Free Member

Is this the test you get a booklet to revise from? So the correct answer is whatever is in the booklet.

This.

A few years ago an American that worked for me was sitting the test and I forget the exact question but it was about migration into the UK in the late 19th century – and the answer was Poland.

Poland didn’t exist at that time, but it was the answer in the book…

GrahamS

Ah so it’s really testing that you’ll accept whatever the UK goverment tell you is “the truth”?

Cunning.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

To be fair not knowing the history of another European country is terribly British.

In the same way as knowing a foreign language is rather un-british.

epicyclo

I presume that they have the test in the various British languages including Welsh and Gaelic?

glupton1976
    Free Member

I hope they have it in Doric.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its false let me rephrase
    is this true or false.

The americans put the first man on the moon. That man was Hulk Hogan

Markie
    Free Member

Middle Welsh for me… the Mabinogion rocks!

Kevevs
    Free Member

wow I don’t have a solution to that problem. Although I will observe STW as much as possible 😀

Northwind

glupton1976 – Member

As far as I can tell Doric is just english spoken by drunks?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And how British is that ?

trevron73
    Free Member

My wife HAD to take the test ,she failed the test 3 times and was 2 weeks away from having her visa expire and face deportation from the UK. This put tremendous strain on both of us ,our work and friends and family.We found a not too legal loop hole and got indefinite leave to remain .The Life in the UK test is really ,really irrelevant and difficult.i took the mock test 7 times and failed 7 times. Example – what or who is Hansard? now no cheating . I agree that immigration needs to be in check , but what if whilst travelling on a year out you fall in love and wish to live you life with your loved one in YOUR home country but the government makes it very hard ?? Its very complicated this subject and there are so many different situations .I found a white man working for 25 years has to pay over £6000 pound to live with his Asian wife in HIS own country .I had correspondence from the House of commons , but they are no help. It was a nightmare – All good now as we got Indefinite leave to remain and next year we are going to spend our savings living in the wife’s country as they welcome me and actually place hard working foreign nationals in high esteem ,not as a problem !

clanton
    Free Member

I had to do the test a few years ago (yes I am one of those bloody foreigners). I didn’t bother to “learn” for the test, taking advice from others I simply got the model questions and answers book and learnt the relevant sections by rote. It took me about five minutes to write the test and I got 100%.

I totally failed to see the relevance of the test. As far as I can tell it simply tests your ability to memorise a few random and irrelevant facts. How that makes me or anyone else a suitable citizen is beyond me.

br
    Free Member

trevron73 – sorry Mate, but is that English?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

trevron73 – sorry Mate, but is that English?

It seems like English to me. I take it English isn’t your native language ?

jamj1974

I found a white man

Relevance of skin colour is what exactly…?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

To be fair he made a point about his wife being Asian in the same sentence, but you didn’t ask the relevance of that.

RustySpanner

clanton – Member
    I totally failed to see the relevance of the test. As far as I can tell it simply tests your ability to memorise a few random and irrelevant facts. How that makes me or anyone else a suitable citizen is beyond me.

It’s there to placate the swivel-eyed faction of the Tory party:
    They tend to believe all immigrants should have a compulsory tattoo of Winston Churchill on their arse, be able recite the complete works of Shakespeare and know the batting averages of every single England test player efore they’re allowed to be sneered at by Brummies for having a silly accent.

No other reason.

jamj1974

ernie_lynch – Member
    To be fair he made a point about his wife being Asian in the same sentence, but you didn’t ask the relevance of that.

That’s not relevant either. Skin colour and immigration are not related at all.

jamj1974

And I make both my points being myself of mixed parentage from Asian and white European English parents, which also has no relevance!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That’s not relevant either

So why didn’t you ask him ? He made the point in the same sentence.

Have you an issue with someone being referred to as white but not Asian ?

jamj1974

ernie_lynch – Member
    So why didn’t you ask him ?

That’s us what I did Ernie. However I didn’t see the necessity of making an identical point twice. So just for you and to avoid more of your somewhat obvious obtuseness… The cultural background and skin colour of a). the British citizen and; b). His wife who wishes to stay are totally irrelevant to his point.

Maybe that’s clearer to you now?

Edited to remove typo

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well it would have been clearer if you had asked what is the relevance of you being white and your wife being Asian. Instead of just asking what is the relevance of being white.

I get the impression that you have an issue with someone being referred to as white but not if they are referred to as asian.

I agree with you though, the reference to race seems pointless. I just don’t think there was anything sinister about it. Perhaps he was just trying to point out that whilst his wife was Asian he wasn’t ?

jamj1974

I didn’t think it was sinister – just a little curious and our of place…

jamj1974

I get the impression that you have an issue with someone being referred to as white but not if they are referred to as asian.

Nope

jamj1974

They tend to believe all immigrants should have a compulsory tattoo of Winston Churchill on their arse, be able recite the complete works of Shakespeare and know the batting averages of every single England test player efore they’re allowed to be sneered at by Brummies for having a silly accent.
    No other reason.

This.

Cougar

Aha.

Immigration is a threat to swiveleyesation.

RustySpanner

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘The Living in Britain Test.’ is closed to new replies.