Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • The Life of Brian
  • Harry_the_Spider

Now classified as a 12A.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53441499

So we’re showing it to the kids tonight. History, Politics and RE all on one go.

#Home schooling

martinhutch

History, Politics and RE all on one go.

Don’t forget Latin.

MoreCashThanDash

Seems perfectly acceptable to me as a lesson plan 👍

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t forget Latin.

or the aqueduct. or law and order, or viniculture…

jekkyl

SPLITTER!

white101

There’s a definite biology lesson in there as well for a brief second

ElShalimo

What will your snack of choice be?

Larks’ tongues? Otters’ noses? Ocelot spleen? Wrens’ livers?

jekkyl

Why are you always on about women Stan?

franksinatra

I watched it for the first time during lockdown. I couldn’t find a single reason to laugh. Slightly gutted but I just didn’t get it at all. I thought it was rubbish.

DickBarton

I’m doing that next week!

mariner
    Free Member

I thought it was rubbish.

Shouldn’t that be wubbish?

redmex
    Free Member

It’s one of my all time favourite films along with the meaning of life

chakaping
    Free Member

Check out the Python doc on Netflix for some interesting insight on the making of Brian (and their other efforts).

binners

We introduced the girls to it on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. They absolutely love it!

They now point out, quite frequently, that the other one is NOT THE MESSIAH…

We followed it up with the Holy Grail the following week, which went down equally as well

Cougar

I watched it for the first time during lockdown. I couldn’t find a single reason to laugh. Slightly gutted but I just didn’t get it at all. I thought it was rubbish.

I definitely think it’s something you need to ‘get.’ I once introduced Monty Python to an American family, most of them were like “what is this?” aside from the son who was absolutely wetting himself laughing.

martinhutch

I couldn’t find a single reason to laugh.

Wait until Biggus Dickus hears of this!

binners

I watched it for the first time during lockdown. I couldn’t find a single reason to laugh. Slightly gutted but I just didn’t get it at all. I thought it was rubbish

You’re weird

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll be honest, I’m not a huge Python fan – some of the sketches are brilliant, a lot of them do nothing for me, way more misses than hits.

Life of Brian and The Holy Grail do have more hits than misses

nickc

I thought it was rubbish.

Even Biggus Dickus? C’mon!

I mean, I struggle to write that without smiling…

martinhutch

Even Biggus Dickus? C’mon!

I mean, I struggle to write that without smiling…

He has a wife, you know…

MSP

I’ll be honest, I’m not a huge Python fan – some of the sketches are brilliant, a lot of them do nothing for me, way more misses than hits.

Most of the TV series is really dated now, and apart from a few sketches, haven’t aged well. Life of Brian and The Holy Grail are still mostly brilliant, the ending of holy grail was always a bit shit IMO. The meaning of life was a film too far, it is awful from beginning to end and no amount of time and reflection is going to improve it.

spursn17
    Free Member

He said Jehova, stone him!

chakaping
    Free Member

Cougar

I have the complete DVD box set of the TV series. The best bits are some of the finest comedy sketches ever made but there is a lot of dross amongst them.

kimbers

I suppose that’s kind of the point

Back when we were a sort of religious country it was scandalous

Now it’s just a lot of silly sketches, the edginess is lost

(I still love it btw, but I think holy grail is better, I’ve shown select clips of that to my kids- they love the black Knight & the killer rabbit of Carbannog

slowoldman

Why are you always on about women Stan?

Loretta to you.

SaxonRider

Seemed scandalous to some

Not to be argumentative; just to be clear…

In the meantime, I agree with those who say there was much dross in the MP corpus, with some good comedy. Philosophers’ Football was brilliant.

“He’s mu… he’s mu… he’s mu… he’s mute sir.”

Now, that was brilliant.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Economics as well – you gotta haggle.

bruneep

No, no. I’ve got to get–

winston
    Free Member

I’ve watched quite a few old films with my teenage daughters over the last few years including Life of Brian (bit sweary but quite funny in bits according to my 13yr old)

Its incredible how times change. Take ET. I remember that as a full on kids film but it’s got swearing, weird passive aggressive family dynamics and all sorts – definitely not what I remembered.

Also watched Some Like it Hot with my older daughter and it was all a bit creepy really – plus the violence really jarred.

I’m not sure many old films have aged well.

Holy Grail however is one of my all time favourites and the french taunting is in my opinion one of the funniest scenes in a film ever.

sockpuppet

You are of course entitled to your opinion. It’s wrong, but that’s ok with me.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Always let the ratings panel decide what your kids can or can’t watch. Never make that decision yourself.

ta11pau1

They couldn’t make a ‘best bits’ of the life of brian, it’d be the whole movie.

plus-one

Life of Brian is absolute class as is the holy grail. My daughters watched it early teens and they still quote them today all mid to late twenties now.

brokenbanjo

I found this spoon.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Oh dear I’m afraid history has proved you wrong.

A film that works on many different levels.

binners

I’m not sure many old films have aged well.

Depends what you call old. We did all the classic 80’s films and my daughters (13 & 15) absolutely love Monty Python, Breakfast Club, Wayne’s World, Bill and Ted, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Uncle Buck, Coming to America and Lost Boys

Binnerette number one (16) says Breakfast Club is her favourite fillum and has watched it countless times. As a 16 year old I can get that completely! It’s an amazing film!

They both love Alan Partridge too. My work here is done 😃

hols2
    Free Member

Now it’s just a lot of silly sketches, the edginess is lost

Part of it is that Monty Python really upped the game and comedy now is much better (and edgier) than it used to be. Kinda like how classic movies just seem really cliched because you forget that they did it first and everyone else copied them.

funkmasterp

I couldn’t find a single reason to laugh. Slightly gutted but I just didn’t get it at all. I thought it was rubbish.

I’m with you, apart from the fact I’m not gutted at all. If we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place. I think it could be because a group of people at my school endlessly quoted it and The Holy Grail. That’s got to be one of the quickest way to kill something funny.

jekkyl

you’re facking nicked me old china

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The Life of Brian’ is closed to new replies.