Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • The Lidl/Aldi alternative products thread
  • mogrim

Aldi’s restretto and lungo nespresso pods

The Lidl ones are crap though, at least in my machine. Taste OK, just that the plastic pods don’t work very well.

lambchop
    Free Member

Castle and Crag single grain whisky £10.99 isn’t bad at all. <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Love their dry roasted peanuts. Microwave brown rice, quinoa and bulgar wheat for 90p. They do a nice Madras curry sauce too.</span>

brassneck

Baked Beans, as they are Euro beanz so actually taste a bit tomatoey rather than just sugar.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lidl low GI cob is farkin awesometastic!

andyl
    Free Member

tinas: Shepherd Neame ie Bishops Finger IIRC, not tried that, their 1698 is definitely not rubbish but I have never seen that in Aldi. It’s petty strong, normally pop over the road into Aldi for beers as they have a good selection on offer.

aldi do sell Tribute for £1.29 a bottle which is fast becoming my standard beer as i find it very pleasant and universally drinkable now Waitrose have stopped doing Wold Gold and only sell Scarborough Fair.

tonyplym
    Free Member

The Lidl ones are crap though, at least in my machine. Taste OK, just that the plastic pods don’t work very well.

Recently revised pod design has a foil cap top and bottom – so they now work a lot better than they used to. I reckon that the Modena Lungo ones (blue/black cube packaging) make a good-enough cup of coffee for the office at a reasonable price.

mogrim

Recently revised pod design has a foil cap top and bottom

They might not have made it to Spain yet, pretty sure at least the top is plastic still here.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tinas: Shepherd Neame ie Bishops Finger IIRC, not tried that, their 1698 is definitely not rubbish but I have never seen that in Aldi. It’s petty strong, normally pop over the road into Aldi for beers as they have a good selection on offer.

You missed the bit

The ones to avoid are any Shepard’s Neam beers that you only see in Lidl as it always seems rubbish.

Bishops finger and 1698 are both great beers. 4-4-2 which I’ve only sen in lidl makes budweiser seem to have taste.  Dunno if it’s just how they dispose of stock or if Lidl set a price and they just brew to it but there have been a few horrible Shepards neame beers in there.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh not seen that, the only one I remember seeing in one of those stores is the purple logo of Bishops Finger in Aldi.

pat12
    Free Member

Aldi champagne

£10 and I like it as much as some £30 bottles I’ve tried (I’m no expert though!)

In fact if I’m going to a friends for dinner I’ll often take a bottle to make it look like I’m wealthier/more generous than I actually am

CraigW
    Free Member

The beers vary by area. They have a decent range of William Bros beer here. Seems there’s a few made exclusively for Aldi – had a “Re#Dial” tonight, quite drinkable anyway.

carlosg
    Free Member

The boxed Jaffa cakes at Aldi are soooo much nicer than the Mcvities equivalent.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Lidl –

Stoopwafel – pack of 10 is £1.50 or less

Chocolate – pretty much all their bars of chocolate are excelllent.  The milk fruit and nut gets a lot of buys

Greek yoghurt with coconut.

Sourdough loaf (though they’ve nearly always sold out when I go in)

The Wheat Beer they’re stocking at the moment is good  (though the non alcoholic version isnt)

tinybits
    Free Member

well I’m just excited that I get an Aldi opening just down the road from work on the 23/8. This means I don’t have to drive 8 miles to one which sort of wipes out all the possible savings!

cheers_drive

Our Aldi has just been refitted, now it’s nicer inside than the Sainsbury’s over the road from it. Sainsbury’s tired and there are always checkout queues.

We still have to get a few things in Sainsbury’s and it takes just as long to get 30 items as the 40 odd we get in Aldi.

The boxed Jaffa cakes at Aldi are soooo much nicer than the Mcvities equivalent.

+1 We bought some McVities ones last week and they are so stodgy compared to Aldi ones, the main ingredient is Glucose-Fructose syrup too (although to be fair that’s the reason for not getting preserves or Squash at Aldi as they are full of it).

Smudger666

not sure if i posted this here before but……

in Aldi and there was a guy restocking their own brand herbs n spices.  he was wearing a Schwarz branded fleece.  when I asked if he was moonlighting, he stuttered a bit saying he should have changed before coming in but he’d been in the Tesco over the road.  Apparently, the Aldi stuff is made in the same factory in France as the Schwarz ztuff.

Scapegoat

Lidl islay blend single malt (Ben Bracken) is betterer than the Aldi one, but both worth a shout at £17.95

If I run out of raw food for the dog Aldi whole chickens are a great value substitute. Don’t know what that says about the quality of the chickens, but I don’t think I’d eat one……..

Lidl Herring fillets in Apple and cream sauce are a lunchtime favourite.

kimbers

ldi stuff is made in the same factory in France as the Schwarz ztuff

oh man Schwarz isnt even German then

its all lies!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘The Lidl/Aldi alternative products thread’ is closed to new replies.