• This topic has 82 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by weeksy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • The “Lets go to Gent Wevelgem and pretend we’re Pro riders” thread.
  • dovebiker

Oudenaard is a great place to stop, there’s a big car park just outside of town on the N453. You can pick up a bike route map at the Centrum RVV, Tour of Flanders Museum – Koppenberg, Patterberg, Oude Kwaremont, Kluisberg are all easily accessible and there’s lots of bike tracks to keep you off the big roads. Lots of nice, but pricey pubs in the town square including DeCarillion where you can feast on expensive toasties.
    The RetroRonde used to host a criterium around the square which was a real hoot- battering around on old bikes across cobbles and tram tracks – you go down one side at 25mph+, turn right into an alley barely wide enough for a few bikes around the back of the big church avoiding stone walls, metal grates and sunken glass spotlights and do it again. Worse bit was qualifying for the final, enjoying a few beers in between and then racing the final!

weeksy

fab info mate…. thank you.

kilo

Specialized Pathfinder Pro which seem to review well, as do the Vittoria Terreno Dry.

I had the terreno dry on my Cx bike until winter kicked in . Very good tyre but can’t really see why you’d want it on a bike that is for the road – get a road tyre.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I think the roads are swept before big sportives like this so comfort rather than worrying about puncture protection is the way to go. Having said that I’ve done Flanders on 28s with tubes without a worry. The cobbles at GW aren’t the same as Roubaix. I’ll second De Carillon. Right in the town square and a lovely place to get drunk with the Belgies.

weeksy

the 35s Vee Tire things are comfortable enough yeah, i was running them yesterday on the tester ride at 45-48psi, they seemed happy enough, but obviously i’m not used to the narrow things when it comes to cornering… but i’m not going to get hung up on that as this isn’t something i’m going to do often. But lighter, assuming decent puncture protection can be found with lighter, well that may be a good idea.

Full on road tyres, well yeah, maybe… but i also see potential for frost, sleet, rain, lol… we’ve all watched the Spring Classics and seen the weather… so allowing for a bit more than a slick seems wise, especially with my inexperience with this type of riding. I’d rather have a bit more grip than be super fast.

goerge
    Free Member

Good unit 🙂

weeksy

This video implies that road tyres are indeed a LOT better

28mm GP5000 @ 90psi 45kph average 299w
    28mm GP5000 @ 70psi 45kph average 327w

40mm Terra speed @ 70psi 45kph average 449w
    They did one at 40psi but he only lasted 1min 14 lol.

Still not convinced i’ll lob on some super fast rubber… but it’s food for thought !

richardthird

I did Ride London on my Hybrid <4.30 on Vittoria Hyper 37. About 450g including some puncture protection. Great tyres!

weeksy

I chatted to a few of the boys locally on WhatsApp and one of them came up with some loft tyres.

Option 1. Vittoria Terreno Zero 700*38. My scales read them as 700g. They’re currently on the bike for testing tomorrow. Cost to me £0

Option 2. Schwalbe G-one speed 700*35. Not weighed yet as they’re on his spare wheels. I can borrow for the event but not keep.

Option 3. My own B-Twin 700*45. They weighed in at 970g. Which along with some of the reviews being not ideal, means they’re going to local bike recycling bloke via [mention]crust[/mention]

Option 4. Vee Tire Zilento 700*35. Currently owned and came with the bike. Weighed in at dead on 500g. Obviously cost me nothing. These are what I used when out with Crosshair. Weight is good but I can’t say I’m in love

weeksy

So today brought a bit of testing.

Terreno Zero vs Zee Zilent.
    It was a shortish loop just outside the village, bit of flat, up, down. Trying to keep things as close to the same as possible in terms of effort, using the HR to gauge that mostly as i don’t have a power meter. I left the bike in the same gear for both rides, only changing with the front mech at set points for the hills.

First up was the Terreno Zero
    moving time 12:45
    max speed 43.9kph
    ave speed 22.1kph
    max HR 143
    ave HR 118
    max cadence 97
    ave cadence 74

2nd up was the Zee Zilent
    moving time 13:01
    max speed 44.7kph
    ave speed 21.6kph
    max HR 141
    ave HR 116
    max cadence 98
    ave cadence 74

picking a few average segments within the ride for example, 1.0km-1.5km there was 0.1kph difference between the 2 bikes.

@ 2.5km-3.5km there was fractionally bigger a gap in favour of the Terreno.

On the climb i was about 5s quicker on the Terreno, but again 2bpm average higher.

But overall, i think if we take into account the Zee HR was 2bpm lower average and 16s slower, if we compensate for that 2bpm there’s got to be only a few seconds between both sets of tyres.

Sure, it’s not scientific by any stretch, but it’s the best method i can come up with based upon the tools i have.

In terms of comfort, there’s not much in it, but potentially with the Zee Zilent i feel a little bit happier, especially in the slightly damp conditions from todays rides.

simondbarnes

I presume that the weights you are posting are per pair of tyres?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

This may sound flippant, but I don’t think tyres are going to make a big difference. Wind direction will do. I know you aren’t going there but drop bars or Tri extensions will be of much greater benefit.

stumpy01

2% difference on that test, so well within the ‘noise’. I suppose if you did it 10x on each tyre you might start to see a pattern.

I used to commute on 1.5 Schwalbe City Jets & they were great tyres. No idea how much they weighed, but just used to stick 60psi in them & go. Rolled really well compared to knobblies, obviously.
    Had one thorn puncture in a couple of years with them on. I think they were only about £12 a tyre too.

As above, there are probably bigger savings to be had if you are looking for efficiency. Position on the bike & how flappy your jacket is will probably have more of an effect.
    Even inverting your stem to get a lower position (assuming it’s currently angled upwards) will probably be more beneficial than one smooth-ish tyre compared to another.

weeksy

3rd up was the Schwalbe G-One Speed
    moving time 13:03
    max speed 45.4kph
    ave speed 21.5kph
    max HR 142
    ave HR 120
    max cadence 99
    ave cadence 73

weeksy

I presume that the weights you are posting are per pair of tyres?

No, that’s each tyre.

None of these are lightweight race rubber. They’re more commuter than race 23s.

This may sound flippant, but I don’t think tyres are going to make a big difference.

I absolutely understand that, i wasn’t going for speed, aero, clothing, tucking in etc or even trying hard. It was about what i can do to simply keep things the same for testing really.

I still don’t see this being about ultimate speed for me as i’m riding this for fun and with a mate, so our pace is our pace, that’s it… if we do it in 5 hours, we do, if we sit and have a beer and take 7 hours, so be it…
    But just fancied seeing which rubber if any give me a discernable difference and they were all free for testing from a mate. If i could get free speed, so be it… but it’s far from the be all and end all of the ride…

It also meant i got 3 nice little rides in today lol.

simondbarnes

No, that’s each tyre.

😮

weeksy

LOL looking on https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

You’ve got to be into really race based rubber to be at 500g for a pair.

Most of the CX rubber is in teh high4s… and very few in the ‘tour’ section are coming under 5s.

The Zee Zilent which now seem to be what i’ll be using, are dead on 500g for the pair on my scales… Which as they’re a wired tyre isn’t bad at all. I could of course go lighter and faster, but i feel the more City based tyres are less likely to have me standing round at the side of the road with a pump and a new tube.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

If it sets your mind at rest, the mechanical support at these events is normally excellent. Probably Shimano ‘neutral service’.

weeksy

Wasn’t honestly worried about anything in that context mate. I’ll be taking enough in the saddle bag for emergencies.. if i need more than that, well i’m throwing the bike in the hedge and getting a train back to Wevelgem.

razorrazoo

The Zee Zilent which now seem to be what i’ll be using, are dead on 500g for the pair on my scales…

I assume that’s a typo and it’s 500g per tyre, or the scales are knackered.

In terms of gearing etc, for a cadence in the 90s you can’t be pushing much of a gear on the flat to average around 21kph (though I can only reference what I do for an equal cadence on a road bike rather than hybrid, but I’m no riding god)?  I know you’re on Zwift a fair bit and have decent power IIRC so are you taking it really easy?

weeksy

I assume that’s a typo and it’s 500g per tyre, or the scales are knackered.

Apologies, yes. 500g for a single.

In terms of gearing etc, for a cadence in the 90s you can’t be pushing much of a gear on the flat to average around 21kph (though I can only reference what I do for an equal cadence on a road bike rather than hybrid, but I’m no riding god)? I know you’re on Zwift a fair bit and have decent power IIRC so are you taking it really easy?

I was today yes, purely to test the tyres at a set max HR, my HR for the ride average was only 116bpm… my Zwift race average is 170 🙂 So yeah, i was taking it easy matey. It was just an effort/speed/cadence that was easy to replicate a few times in a day without any sort of fatigue skewing the results.

martymac

I think I’d be in the ‘avoid punctures’ camp, and not really be GAS about speed, it’s a social event, you’re going with a mate. Take a bluetooth speaker, to listen to some tunes on the go, and have a beer at every pub.
    Make sure the speaker is waterproof 👍👍

weeksy

Now this would resolve any speed issues lol.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304338957950

This video is of a cool roadie being converted into and even cooler hybrid.

I know @crust has been working on this too, but very much lacking in forum input.

I have to admit I was thinking of something better last night while the wife was out drinking, but it seems you don’t get a lot in terms of value

Mine is only 11.6kg and cost me £400, that’s with pedals too

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-SL-Road-2022-Road-Bike_242535.htm

That’s 10.9 and I assume weighed without pedals.

It’s £3000+ before we get into the 9kg bracket

leffeboy

And was your tyre test on cobbles?   Ok there isn’t as much cobbles as Paris Roubaix but there will be enough to make you want something a bit grippier and on the larger side if it gets wet I would have thought.  No point in gaining a few percent to lose it all and more as you have to mince through the cobbles

weeksy

And was your tyre test on cobbles?

Well no. However cobbles are not exactly common in West Berkshire

weeksy

Did some outdoor testing again this week, roads were dry and the Vee Zilent are OK enough. Wasn’t a killer loop, heart rate average was only 115bpm and 23.2kph average. So well within the range i’m thinking of.

Also did a lovely (well i say lovely, but it wasn’t) 80km ride on Zwift, just getting used to pedalling for longer really. 180w average and a HR average of 113bpm… again, right in my target range.

The reason i’m working mostly in these ranges is that the numbers will put my riding buddy about 10bpm average higher, so if we call it 125bpm for him, that’s about where we can sit happily for the duration. Well i hope so anyway.

The only minor stumbling block i’ve thrown in is racing at BPW 2 days before we go to Belgium 😀

weeksy

Just 10 days to go until we head to Wevelgem then. Well it seems Oudenaard potentially. I’m going to recce the E3 route later just to confirm where it goes through/to/when etc..

weeksy

2022-03-25_01-24-39

tthew

Nice.

Have you been to La Carrilion as recommended yet?

weeksy

No mate, got here at 12:30 to random farm in middle of Aalbeke and cycled to harelbeke. Now supping ales at finish

martymac

Looks like the weather is gonna be nice 👍👍👍

robbo1234biking

How did it go then? Did you enjoy it?

snakebite
    Free Member

Ive got Flanders this weekend, its looking like sleet and 40kph wind, great…. taking the Cervelo Caledonia full winter set up with 32mm G-one speeds, di2, full mudguards and just in case its sunny, Basso Diamante SV with 30mm P Zeros. Both bikes being excellent proven beer bikes for the ride back to Waregem.

AdamT

I’m also at Flanders this weekend. Hoping the weather isn’t quite how you describe it. 😬. Riding this zippy

32mm gp5000, so roll well but a bit of cush

weeksy

SO how was Belgium…. Belgium itself was a lovely lovely place. Never been anywhere so quiet, tranquil, clean and tidy…. every car was washed, every person was dressed nicely and they were all exceptionally polite. I’d move there 🙂

HOw was the ride…. well, the simple answer is, it was long… long and fairly blowy…

Friday we rocked up at the AirBNB and were met with chickens, cockrels and horses… proper middle of nowhere, but hey that’s what i booked and why i booked it. Lovely…
    We then rode 25km to Harelbeke down the river, lovely little ride. We watched all of the E3 Saxo Bank Classic and got to see the local hero Wout Van Aert cruise to victory. We were many many beers in and the ride back was eventful…. but we stopped for beers half way back on Kortrijk just to top up the levels of beer. All the day was properly ticking off the Bucket List of the Belgian Spring classics, chips, mayo, beers, sausages…. and of course the racing with the very passionate Belgians.

Sat we got up early doors to a slightly frosty morning, but lovely and sunny.
    As we were riding to Wevelgem i’m thinking to myself “this ain’t right, my crank feels wobbly”
    As we pulled into the start i checked and yes it was…. I walked over and asked the support guys for a socket and he quickly tightened the crank bolt up. Job done (or not)
    It’s a 6km ride to the start in Wevelgem and we cruised up there and signed on, jumped onto the route which even though wasn’t on closed roads, every junction for the first 10km was marshalled and the cyclists given right of way. The ride rolled it’s way through the back lanes and farm lanes, it’s hard to describe as we don’t have them so much in the UK, but there’s a LOT of fields in Belgium and they all have fairly well serviced/built roads through them. Single lane but fairly decent tarmac mostly. The miles ticked along nicely and the feed stations were well stocked. We struggled to find groups to jump on with overall, sometimes we’d get a wheel, but not often. When you could, it was great and you’d pick up 2-3kmh speed.
    When discussing it, there was talk on forums of “you see all sorts of people and bikes”, maybe that’s true on the short routes, there’s a 48km and a 64km as well as a 96km and then the 141km and the 226km. However on the 141 and the 226, you see only 1 type of bike and 1 type of rider, expensive carbon road bikes and 6’5″ tall Belgian beasts lol. They monster out of the corners and get staright back to speed. It’s mostly OK but at times i was closing the gap so Crust could get the wheel and working hard, so i’d ease off and we’d let that group go.
    Into Ypres was one of the highlights of the weekend and riding through the Menin Gate and the town was epic. We stopped for the feed station and took the place in.

Eventually we got to the climby part of the ride, about 70km now and they then come thick and fast, the Banberg was one, not sure if that was the road one or the gravel one with the windmill on it… we then roll up, down, up down till we hit the climb we thought was the lead-in for the Kemmelberg, but it wasn’t.. it was another tough little climb and then eventually we came to Kemmel village,… it’s a slog up to the start of the climb proper and you’re clicking through the gears faster than you’d like.
    When you hit the climb you realise just how big and spaced the cobbles are, you get your wheels caught in the gaps and struggle for traction. I think i saw 4-5 riders hitting the floor coming unstuck, or not unstuck with their fancy road pedals… I got to the top of it, but yeah it was a tough bugger.
    We celebrated with a brandy at the top and rolled into the next feed stop.

After that is where the ride went wrong really as it seemed the wind had decided to come out and play and the flags were flapping hard, straight into our faces.. Which was a bit of a problem as the last 25 miles or so were all the same direction and all directly into the headwind.
    It became a slog, like a proper proper slog. We hit the Plugstreets, which is basically the Ridgeway/SDW type hard pack, not a massive issue in itself. That was possibly the major highlight for me as we could see 100 bikes scattered on the lanes ahead of us, all driving on the hardpack, was a great sight. Then it got fairly roadie again and into the wind of hell, blowing, blowing… A couple of times Crust jumped on a wheel of a passing rider/bunch and i said “f that, i’m not playing…” let him go… eventually he looked back and saw i’d gone and waited by easing off.

An emergency ice-cream stop came next and we had roughly 17 miles left. I then found a bit of energy and was pushing along at a reasonable lick, we’d picked up 3 other riders who decided my wheel was the one for them and i seemed to tow the bunch for about 10 miles lol… me on the little hybrid towing the roadies… you had to laugh.

4km to go a car went to pull out of a parking space and i slipped through the traffic and lost my group, including Crust… i was tempted to pin it, well, sorta. But i eased and waited for my gang and they jumped on my wheel again. Right until 350m from the line, lots of spectators etc and a few bikes came past and pinned it, so i jumped and went for the line and left my day buddies in the dust… Not knowing that Crust had planned us rolling over together… oops.
    Highlight was when going to the bike park, the young girl was cutting off my cable ties and said “have you really just done the 141km on THAT ! ” i had to laugh… Most of the bikes had more expensive rear mechs than my whole bike which was £379 new lol.

The rest of the day/evening was beer fuelled.. Along with another wobbly crank, maybe the techie guy hadn’t tightened it enough, dunno… Got back to our farm and borrowed a socket again, tightening it to about 70Nm this time… I thought that was the end of the debate but it blighted the rest of the trip and was now coming apart every 10km. But it didn’t matter, the big one was done.

Sunday we went to Ypres to watch the start of the Pro race, which was packed. Coffee, chats and then managed to catch the end of the U23 race which was fast, frantic and crashy… down to the line was 3-4deg of decline and they flew !

We then went back to get the wobbly bike out and went to watch the end of the pro race… which wasn’t due for 3 hours, so it was beers, burgers, beers and beers… lots of chats in the bars with lads who’d also ridden the 141 yesterday and watching the Wanty ride power away for the win, it was properly deserved !

More beers and beer cherryade for Crust… massive pasta..

Came back this morning… box well and truly ticked.

Would i do it again, heck no, road riding is garbage… lol. But i’m glad we went and glad we did it.

tthew

Ha, you should have submitted that write up for the magazine, (yeah, there’s mag – who knew!) Sounds like a great weekend. You sure you wouldn’t do it again?

weeksy

You sure you wouldn’t do it again?

The trip, sure. The ride nah.

My riding mate is trying to get me into Strada Bianche for next year, I’m just to be convinced.

I’ll throw up some pics when online properly tomorrow.

simondbarnes

Nice one 🙂

matt_outandabout

Bikes, beer and Belgium. Sounds ace!

dovebiker

I love riding in Belgium – they really love their cycling there, although you really need to go ride the RVV for the full-bore Mooiste Flandrien experience.

Strade Bianche or L’Eroica are also great rides – the route is permanent so you could go and ride them anytime, but battering your way around 200k of the finest Tuscan roads on a classic bike, DT shifters, 42/52 chainrings and a straight-through 6-speed block and pedals with toe clips and straps really adds to the experience.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.